User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #14841
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
Usually Thomann, went Andertons this time as they didn't have it in stock.

Should probably ask them why you always get the friday afternoon/monday morning guitars.

Only at times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
There are sites called plushdotyiff where people talk about yiffing plushies

Axel in heat.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #14842
dspellman

Quote:
the back of the neck is hurting my wrist,

How is it doing THAT?
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #14843
dspellman

Quote:

There's a slight hairlinecrack right by the access joint. I'd be ok if it was just a scratch, but no wood is showing. But I'm concerned it might get worse. So sending it back Monday.

This has been a concern of mine when they do the shaved neck heels with a set neck.

Carvin got good at it, of course, but had a few necks separate nonetheless. I bid on a great-looking AR-500 from a French seller, but got outbid by a guy I knew on an Ibanez collector's forum. I cautioned him to make sure the seller shipped it in a certain way, but he waved me off. Sure enough, the guitar arrived in two pieces. I was a little concerned when I bought the Axcess Custom, but it's done well enough so far. And an Agile AL-2000 Floyd has a unique "tilted" neck heel that works nearly as well as the Axcess style, and I've watched it carefully (no issues over the last several years).

The ones I *don't* worry about are the neck-through guitars. The Agile AL-3200 has an Axcess-style neck heel and tummy cut, but it's got a maple/walnut neck that's immensely strong. I have another that actually has the neck laid into a channel that was carved into the inside of the back of the guitar (it's a one-piece mahogany back). Sort of an extra extra extra long tenon.

Shipping is where you're going to see something happen; most guitar shops think that the case provides adequate support and protection against neck separation, but they're really wrong.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #14844
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
How is it doing THAT?

My guess is thin neck and super low playing stance. Prolly making his wrist go 90 degrees.

Only at times, though.

Quote:

Axel in heat.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #14845
Fisheth24
i swear on me mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
How is it doing THAT?

Just not used to how wide it is in comparison to my other guitars I'm guessing.

Also: Yeah, I'm guessing shipping too. It was packed in an Epiphone box with some of that paprery stuff you get and another bigger box on top. Wasn't like Thomman where you get tons of packaging stuff that go pop.

Last edited by Fisheth24 : 01-19-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #14846
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Mid 60s T-Top selling local right now. Was thinking of picking it up but the guy I think is asking too much considering what it is.

Only at times, though.

Quote:

Axel in heat.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #14847
JustRooster
Organ Donor

This is the coolest LP.

Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #14848
Hydra26
(please print clearly)

I do love me some p90s
Hydra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #14849
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #14850
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
This is the coolest LP.

Yes it is and I'll have one in the future, when I'm earning some real scratch.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42 AM   #14851
Hydra26
(please print clearly)

More power to you. To me that's a really awesome, super cool used guitar. Can't see myself forking over a good chunk of a house for a used guitar. So I tend to actively avoid vintage. If I played the lottery and won and had more money than I knew what to do with, maybe. It is a really cool sounding guitar though. Electronically speaking though, I think I can get more than close enough to that sound for my playing level with something modern that doesn't have any kind of "legendary" baggage adding to the price tag. Heck, I thinking one of the mid 80's standards, the last of the kalamazoo's would probably do me right as far as wanting something older. Friend of mine had one. It's a great axe.
Old Today, 01:10 AM   #14852
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra26
More power to you. To me that's a really awesome, super cool used guitar. Can't see myself forking over a good chunk of a house for a used guitar. So I tend to actively avoid vintage. If I played the lottery and won and had more money than I knew what to do with, maybe. It is a really cool sounding guitar though. Electronically speaking though, I think I can get more than close enough to that sound for my playing level with something modern that doesn't have any kind of "legendary" baggage adding to the price tag. Heck, I thinking one of the mid 80's standards, the last of the kalamazoo's would probably do me right as far as wanting something older. Friend of mine had one. It's a great axe.

Agreed. For a few incredible minutes, I thought I was going to be a billionaire.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #14853
Hydra26
(please print clearly)

hahahaha, I have delusions of grandeur too from time to time. They usually involve building a detached structure with plumbing, a/c, and soundproofing to use as a studio.
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #14854
Hydra26
(please print clearly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz

WOW, that looks very les paul-y. Sweet looking guitar but I lost interest as soon as I heard the word "chambered"
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #14855
dspellman

The used AD-2300 arrived (back a couple of pages).

A fellow in Vancouver spotted it on the local Craigslist and posted a PSA about it on the AGF forum, offering to handle shipping it out to anyone in the lower 48. These had been on my "maybe, whenever" list for a while. The last price for these on Rondo was $299, and this one had a set of Reilander handwound pickups ( $185 a set with Alnico 2 magnets) added. At $130 US, and with a guy willing to do an in-hand lookover, it seemed to be a no-brainer.

After a series of adventures (my "agent's" wife went into labor the day he picked up the guitar), the thing arrived in double-boxed glory. Unlike the photo I posed, mine has very closely matched grain, and while I think it's a three-piece body, it's difficult to find the seams and the color match is bang on. Instead of black reflectors, the knobs are simply black, and the guitar is a gorgeous caramel color. There's a tummy cut in the back and a teflon (Tusq) nut. Unlike the originals, the frets are jumbo, there are real MOP trap inlays, the radius is 13.7" and the neck isn't a baseball bat. It's not thin, either (there are thin (only 17mm deep at the first fret) and a wide (1 3/4" nut) versions out there) .

The guitar was sticky, had some of what I thought were bumps or dings, had really old strings, really scratchy frets. It also had a HUGE amount of relief dialed in. So I yanked the strings, cleaned up the body with Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, polished the frets, put a few drops of mineral oil on the fretboard put a new set of strings on it and tweaked things a bit. The action is now really low, with almost no relief at all. Whatever I'd originally thought were dings seemed to have been crap that came off in the cleaning, and the frets were like glass. There are still a couple of slightly high frets at the very top, and the only way you can detect them is to do a double stop bend at the 20th fret; it just barely begins to fret out. I'll get that fixed in a couple of weeks. Until then, the guitar's a great player.

The pickups are gorgeous. My comparison P90 is the one I have off my old '49 ES-175, and these are really really good. I haven't taken them into a noisy environment, but in my den, there's no hum, RF, anything. The originals on the AD-2300 would have been ceramic magnet P90's, and by all accounts, they're very good, and I probably would have been fine with them. But the Reilanders really kick butt. Nicely done.

Weight is just a hair over 7 lbs (less than an ounce over), and with the tummy cut and rounded edges, this is an extremely comfortable guitar to play.

Rondo is out of production with these for now (didn't sell all that well) and they're fairly hard to find used, so I'm really glad I was able to snag one. Friend of mine has a vintage TV yellow Gibson version (lots of checking, etc.), and when I handed him this one, his reaction was, "Damn! DAMN!"

As soon as I get the thing off the PLEK machine (yeah, it's going to cost me more to PLEK it than the guitar's cost plus shipping), it's going to work, so there's not going to be a long "honeymoon" phase. And I've gotta find a case for it. Overall, however, it was a great buy.
Old Today, 02:48 PM   #14856
Hydra26
(please print clearly)

Sweet, always nice to find a real gem underneath what looked like a turd with a cleaning and setup.

Rate This Thread: