Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

It has nothing to do with speed. The ultimate goal should be to be able to fluidly express your thoughts and emotions with your instrument, in whatever style you want.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
louis94

i think it all depends on what you wannna play
louis94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #23
steven seagull
not really a seagull

It doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgkex
A guitarist is never too fast. A guitarist is never too slow. A guitarist plays at exactly the speed he means too.

hahahha was that a gandalf quote
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #25
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

I can play pretty fast.... but I have put a ton of work into a two-handed-plus-tap-the-fretboard-with-my-nose technique. I've got a real Woody Woodpecker thing going on thanks to all the practice I've done. I've gotta lay the guitar on the stage floor mid song for the solo... but you can make it part of a floor slide and it can be real cool. This technique allows me to play so fast that its just a single stream of sound comes from the amps...it sets every dog in the neighbourhood off because of the frequencies created. I can play faster than all of you. I am better than all of you.
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

You mean sixteenths? Because I can play at 400 bpm easily: I play fourths.

But really, as many people here have said, you only need to be able to play as fast as the fastest song you want to play. Why learn to play like this guy
if you don't need to play that fast in any song? You learn to play guitar to play the music inside of you. If you hear "Flight of Bumblebee" at 999bpm in your head (and that's your goal in music), then you need to be able to play it in 999bpm to be good. Remember that guitar is not a sport, it's about playing music and you are a good guitarist when you can play the music you want to play.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #27
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Why need to learn to play like that guy at all when what he's playing sounds like shit? I'll cut off my right hand if any of the stuff towards the higher end of the metronome was clean and accurate. The point of my comment at the top of the page was that speed, while it can be important in some contexts, tends to hide a lot of details about someone's playing. If you're moving so fast the music is an indistinguishable blur it's easy to cover up sloppy playing. The real test comes from being able to turn that metronome down and have everything be clean and in time.

I think what I'm really trying to get at here is that everyone should stop listening to shred and start listening to funeral doom.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

About 10% above the maximum speed they ever need to play. You need a bit of headroom.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
I can play pretty fast.... but I have put a ton of work into a two-handed-plus-tap-the-fretboard-with-my-nose technique. I've got a real Woody Woodpecker thing going on thanks to all the practice I've done. I've gotta lay the guitar on the stage floor mid song for the solo... but you can make it part of a floor slide and it can be real cool. This technique allows me to play so fast that its just a single stream of sound comes from the amps...it sets every dog in the neighbourhood off because of the frequencies created. I can play faster than all of you. I am better than all of you.

^ This is all true. I've heard him play. In fact, he plays so fast that the clicks of his pick on the strings make their own note, which he cleverly incorporates into the harmony of the song.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #30
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Why do you even care about if you are good or not? Just play the guitar. You'll never be completely happy with your playing because you always see what you could have done better and what mistakes you made. And you can always improve your skills. Nobody's perfect and will never be. Just play music and stop worrying about when you become a good player.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #31
martmiguel

As fast as you can, if you can express something with your music its ok, is not how fast you play is how you can move people with your music, is how many people you can touch with your playing.

Im about 180 bpm btw

curso online de guitarra
clases de guitarra profesor a domicilio
martmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #32
poisonousmetal

As fast as he needs.
If you're thinking:
"If I get 170bpm playing I'll be great", well we have to change that mindset. Think:
"If I can play WHATEVER pops up in my head, I'll be great, or at least good"
That is because there's other stufff going on. Because if whatever pops in your head is crap, well you know..
poisonousmetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: