Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Metal Turtle

Cool Thrashy riffs 1 -C4C

Some riffs i came up with, drums and bass too enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/metal-turtle/demo-3
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
aaron aardvark

M Turtle,
Drum audio quality could be better. When the guitar(s) were by themselves the guitar audio seemed OK. The guitar playing & riffs were good. Now I am thrashed. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581578
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Metal Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
M Turtle,
Drum audio quality could be better. When the guitar(s) were by themselves the guitar audio seemed OK. The guitar playing & riffs were good. Now I am thrashed. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581578

Thanks Aaron. The drums are actually digital, im working on getting real drums soon. I posted my comment on your link page
Old 01-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
aaron aardvark

Turtle,
Real drums are not easy to mic and sound half way professional (if that is your goal). Have you checked into software by toontrack, like EZDrummer or Superior Drummer (not what I used in my more recently posted songs, but I do have songs on my music website that have Superior Drummer)? If you are a real drummer, I realize you might prefer playing real drums.
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Splitvision

Listened to "Demo 3" and there's definitely some good old-school trash going on there! I think the best riff was the one starting at 0:48, really neat. I liked the one at 0:30 aswell though I think I'd prefer it without the second guitar playing something slightly different behind it. The only riff I didn't care too much for was the opening one. Agree with Aaron on that the drums can be improved but drums are always difficult.

Leaving a link to this freshy made instrumental, give a listen and leave some feedback whenever you get a chance:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584403
Splitvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
mattmakaha

Firstly thanks for previoulsy commenting on my threads even though I hadn't critiqued your threads before.

That's pretty good drum progamming (I saw your comment above that said it was digital). I'm old school with programming, doing it note by note with a drum machine, I don't know if you're using software or a drum machine, but it seems like you spent quite a bit of time to get the drum machine parts to be tight with the guitar riffs. But yeah, I know how tedious drum programming can be (especially when I did it for my funk music drum fills--what a headache).

Having said that, to my ears, if you could EQ the digital drum set, the kick drum could use a little boost in the lower frequencies.

Your guitar playing is solid and the rhythm is tight, I like the harmonized parts in certain parts of the guitar riffs.

Could you make the song longer? I think maybe if you could write one more part, and insert it somewhere in between the sections or maybe at the end of the piece, and then maybe repeat sections, the song would have better length....

Could you go to my new thread and leave a comment there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584635

Last edited by mattmakaha : 01-25-2013 at 04:16 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Metal Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitvision
Listened to "Demo 3" and there's definitely some good old-school trash going on there! I think the best riff was the one starting at 0:48, really neat. I liked the one at 0:30 aswell though I think I'd prefer it without the second guitar playing something slightly different behind it. The only riff I didn't care too much for was the opening one. Agree with Aaron on that the drums can be improved but drums are always difficult.

Leaving a link to this freshy made instrumental, give a listen and leave some feedback whenever you get a chance:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584403

thanks man, I really enjoy old school thrash, even though im not old school. Im more of a rhythm guitarist, the riff at 0:48 was inspired by "Iced Earth" and the riff at 0:30 was inspired by "Metallica", i left you a comment on your link page, thanks for checking out my song
Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Metal Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
Firstly thanks for previoulsy commenting on my threads even though I hadn't critiqued your threads before.

That's pretty good drum progamming (I saw your comment above that said it was digital). I'm old school with programming, doing it note by note with a drum machine, I don't know if you're using software or a drum machine, but it seems like you spent quite a bit of time to get the drum machine parts to be tight with the guitar riffs. But yeah, I know how tedious drum programming can be (especially when I did it for my funk music drum fills--what a headache).

Having said that, to my ears, if you could EQ the digital drum set, the kick drum could use a little boost in the lower frequencies.

Your guitar playing is solid and the rhythm is tight, I like the harmonized parts in certain parts of the guitar riffs.

Could you make the song longer? I think maybe if you could write one more part, and insert it somewhere in between the sections or maybe at the end of the piece, and then maybe repeat sections, the song would have better length....

Could you go to my new thread and leave a comment there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584635

no problem man, Thanks for checking gout my song. And you guessed it, i do edit the drums in piece by piece. i just feel it sounds more like me than a drum machine playing. Im very bad at composing a song together which is why my songs are always shortbut i'll take what you guys tell me.

As for the sound of the drums, Metallica put out an album called "And Justice For All" in which the production was really bad but i somehow became fascinated with it in which is why the drums sound a bit dry and the guitars too.

I sent my comment to your link page, Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Crabman429

Some pretty awesome thrash riffs here, would be cool to hear a full song out of this with real drums and such . My favourite riff is the one right at the start, straight in with the thrash no messing about. I like it . Maybe i'm crazy but the riff at 0:28 sounds quite a bit like Megadeth to me. Another cool riff at 0:48, sounds a bit more modern than the rest of the riffs. The bass and the hi-hat aren't very audible in this track though, I struggle to pick out the bass most of the time. But yeah some good riffs here man.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584435

And she screamed Claudio, dear Claudio
I wish, God damn it, we'll make it if you believe...
Crabman429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
E.S

Real thrashy feel to them, sounds like 80ties - that's good

I think, the very first riff sounds the best, would definitely want to listen to the finished song. old school thrash is something that's missing today imo :l

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...29#post30953329
C4C?
E.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
Metal Turtle

Crabman429

Thanks! Im working on adding more to the song for sure, most of these riffs were inspired by Metallica, Iced Earth megadeth etc, 80' to early 90's stuff i grew up on the old school stuff and never really got interested in the new stuff. It might be a while before i use real drums but for now ill keep updating my songs with what i have and see where it goes from there, i left a comment on your link page

Last edited by Metal Turtle : 01-26-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Metal Turtle

E.S

Thanks man! And thats one of the reason why i like playing this genre. Bands these days are cool and all but it doesnt have that "life" to it. It sounds way to edited and perfect when it should feel natural and fun and simple, Iron Maiden i feel does that very well. Metallica is my biggest influence when it comes to production and style of playing

Last edited by Metal Turtle : 01-26-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
ARom22
Art Photographist

Bitchin' stuff, man! I mean, obviously when you finish it there will be higher quality drums, production, etc., but there are some awesome ideas in here! I think my favorite is the riff that starts around 0:38. But yeah, I look forward to hearing these riffs evolve into a complete song. Keep at it!

Book of Face
ARom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Metal Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARom22
Bitchin' stuff, man! I mean, obviously when you finish it there will be higher quality drums, production, etc., but there are some awesome ideas in here! I think my favorite is the riff that starts around 0:38. But yeah, I look forward to hearing these riffs evolve into a complete song. Keep at it!

Thanks! I did in fact re-do this recording and i tried the improvements you all suggested, hope you can check it out!

Rate This Thread: