Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Black_devils

I'm stuck and I can't get out HELP!

Okay so basically i'm new to this website and I need help seriously. I've been playing the guitar for 8 months I know a few solos but the thing is. That it's so frustrating because I don't know how to play over back trackings do I need to know the BPm for the solo? Sometimes I notice when people cover certain songs like

Stairway to heaven it goes from a medium paced temp to a super fast temp how does this work i'm so confused and frustrated please help me out it would be much appreciated. Btw I had to rush writing this so sorry for any misspellings i'm just so frustrated.
Black_devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
whoomit

You don't need to know any tempo, you just feel it. Listen to the beats and the changes.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Black_devils

I don't get it just feel the beat? I mean I can tap my foot to the beat of a song but isn't there an exact way to play the song i'm just lost...
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Hydra150
not so cowardly

I feel like you need to put the lead playing on the back burner, and focus on rhythm guitar.
You have only been playing for eight months, soloing shouldn't be your main concern. In fact, prioritising lead playing is gonna seriously hamper your overall musicianship in the long run.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Black_devils

Okay i'll take your advice bro but don't certain songs involve time signatures? The other day I was just trying to figure out the tempo for stairway to heaven but I couldn't. I'm just trying to figure out how they solo under time signatures it's just very confusing for me. By the way I have an acoustic guitar and i've put off rhythm for a while because i'm 18 I don't really have a car and no one wants to take me to a music shop to adjust the action on the guitar.

it's almost impossible to play on it and the strings are super hard to the point where they put dents in my fingers! I'm just really frustrated I can't cover any songs if I don't know the tempo or the time signatures for them right? I feel like i'm in a rut right now could you please explain to me how they do it it would be greatly appreciated. I can't play over a back tracking if I don't know the signature or the tempo i've figured that the drummers the metronome but how do I follow along.

I've noticed in certain songs they don't just play to the beat sometimes they might play 4 notes just for one beat it's really confusing honestly and it just makes me feel lost thanks for your post! And i'm looking forward to your response I want to turn this into a profession hopefully I enjoy music and it's all I think about!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Stairway to Heaven is in the standard 4/4 time signature, with a few bars throughout having an extra beat at like the end of a section I think
It's not something you should really need to think about tbh, after a few listens/practices you will be able to feel the rhythm of the song.

Pretty much all rock music is in the time signature 4/4, which means there is four beats in a bar.

I feel like you might be getting the term 'time signature' mixed up with 'key signature', which is a more important variable when it comes to improvising over a track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_devils
I can't play over a back tracking if I don't know the signature or the tempo i've figured that the drummers the metronome but how do I follow along.

I've noticed in certain songs they don't just play to the beat sometimes they might play 4 notes just for one beat it's really confusing

What do your ears tell you to play? That's the most important thing. Do what sounds right, play as many or as little notes in a beat or a bar as you want, develop the phrasing of your improvisation.
Remember, it's music you're creating, the whole point is that it sounds good.

And I feel that improving your rhythm guitar playing to a god standard will give you a better feel for/understanding of rhythm and will therefore improve your lead playing.
Quote:
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Black_devils

Man i've missed some essential things when I began learning I watched a few videos on beats in bars but I didn't really think they were useful I feel like such an idiot can you post a link to a video or a part of the fourm that teaches you these things?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Black_devils

And also should I just practice rhythm on my electric guitar.. Since my acoustic is unplayable and I'm broke so I can't set it up.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Man i've missed some essential things when I began learning I watched a few videos on beats in bars but I didn't really think they were useful I feel like such an idiot can you post a link to a video or a part of the fourm that teaches you these things?

I was just about to edit all of this into that post, but I typed too slow ;

You should find a song that you like that has a good chord/lyric chart on UG, and listen to the track and follow the lyrics. Note when the chords change - it might be a chord change on each bar (four beats) or a chord change every second bar (chords held for eight beats), in any case it shouldn't be hard to work out when you are looking at the music and listening/counting.

I'll also suggest that you might benefit from using GuitarPro tabs from this site when learning/practising songs. GuitarPro usually has to be paid for, but TuxGuitar will open the same tabs and you can download it for free.
With those tabs you can listen to the music notes and see how they relate to the bars and when the chords change etc.
It's a useful tool for practising and helped me learn about all different rhythms.

Any other questions you have about practising or improvisation or theory can be asked in here;
Musicians Talk

Quote:
And also should I just practice rhythm on my electric guitar.. Since my acoustic is unplayable and I'm broke so I can't set it up.

That's up to you, it really makes no difference what you practice on as long as you can hear the notes and it isn't destroying your hand
Quote:

Last edited by Hydra150 : 08-28-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Black_devils

Alright dude thanks a lot you've helped me out a lot now I just need to study this. The only down side is that I feel like a failure for not even looking into understanding rhythm earlier **** my life...
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
Black_devils

Also can you recommend me any songs that are fairly simple tbh I don't know anything lol.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:

Last edited by Hydra150 : 08-28-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #13
Black_devils

Thanks dude you've helped me in more ways than you know!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
personalgame33
Banned

Thanks for posting. By the way, if you interested in games,check this out.More about Cheap WOW Gold at mmo2buy.com
personalgame33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: