Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #8041
evening_crow
Live: from Japan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL/\SH
Does that mean I shouldn't get it

It's not a bad pedal, just hyped up at the moment. This happens a lot with new pedals, particularly "transparent" overdrives. They're all trying to do the same thing and are so close to the point that it's almost redundant to compare them. I just watched a video of it against a Timmy and they sound almost identical yet they have about a $60 difference new. I have a Timmy and don't think it's super special... just use it to get rid of the sterile sound when my amp isn't cranked

So yeah, for now it's kind of a flavor of the month due to the novelty. One person buys it and posts on TGP that it's the greatest od they've tried and everyone rushes to buy one. It's good, but it's nothing special along with all the new od's coming out.
(")_(")

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

Founder of the "I ♥ Fire" Club PM me to join.
Gen. Crow of the Pizza Bite Army
Me. Naked.

WARNING: I kill threads.
evening_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #8042
CL/\SH
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
nope apparently they're a good Klone so if thats what you're after.

Quote:
It's not a bad pedal, just hyped up at the moment. This happens a lot with new pedals, particularly "transparent" overdrives. They're all trying to do the same thing and are so close to the point that it's almost redundant to compare them. I just watched a video of it against a Timmy and they sound almost identical yet they have about a $60 difference new. I have a Timmy and don't think it's super special... just use it to get rid of the sterile sound when my amp isn't cranked

So yeah, for now it's kind of a flavor of the month due to the novelty. One person buys it and posts on TGP that it's the greatest od they've tried and everyone rushes to buy one. It's good, but it's nothing special along with all the new od's coming out.

I figured, I mean it's not like I thought it was something completely new and different (even if the dude who made it said otherwise)

To tell the truth I just want it because compared to many other Klones it has aesthetics I like better Maybe I'll just get a 2nd Timmy after a few other pedals on my list first
Never listen to a singer's opinion on guitar gear. You may as well ask your cat.
CL/\SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #8043
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ I like the timmy (or at least the cheapo dano clone I have) because of the bass knob... that means I can do the transparent thing, or cut the bass. While I understand why some people like the transparent thing, for certain other things it's actually not what you want, and if you don't have a bass knob on there you're in trouble.

the digitech screamin blues is actually pretty good for the transparent thing on the cheap, too. again, has a bass knob.

Quote:
(a) I personally like the script with led version better. It still sounds like a phase 90 but is warmer and more mellow in comparison to the regular version. To me it seems more musical. I think it'll do VH just fine. I know you said they didn't have the MXR flanger but I think I'd rather look for it somewhere else and replace the Joyo phaser some other time so you can have his tone more well-covered now.

(b) Check out the EHX Soul Food. It's more transparent and quieter than the DS-1 and only about $15 more. The DS-1 has more gain but cuts too much low end. If you are going for that mid hump to cut through on solos then there's the Green River which is their take on the Tube Screamer. Sorry to hear about the Distortion +. I like its higher gain sound but yeah, it wouldn't work that well as a boost.

(c) The Memory Man you can always buy and sell, possibly making a profit if you get it for a very low price. Or who knows, you might really like it and end up keeping it, particularly if you don't have a delay already.

Thanks

(a) Matt said the script with LED still used the block circuit, though? Not that I imagine I'd notice any difference without the two head to head (and I'm guessing the joyo just cloned the block logo version, assuming it actually is a clone).

(b) LOL I just got a soul food the other day. I don't like it so much as a boost, too flubby in the low end. Nice pedal, though, and a nice buffer in there.

I already have a bunch of TS-alikes too

(c) Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Only big problem, as I said, is that that's almost a "too good to be true" price, so I don't want to get my hopes up- odds are someone else will buy it in the shop before the sale is available online.

Thanks again

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #8044
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

So the Strymon Deco. Seems like a delay/chorus pedal to me.

The saturation stuff sounds great, as does the old tapey stuff, but I don't know how much I need another delay type pedal.

I'll probably get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #8045
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

I think it's a cool all-in-one design. If the Saturation went higher it would be even more interesting, but I know that going too far would detract the pedal from its originally purpose and inspiration—you can't get rich fuzz from a tape machine. I think it's a very cool idea and shows Strymon are still quite capable of being creative beyond what was already done before in multi-effect digital machines, by themselves and by others prior.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #8046
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

i like how they're trying to break out of this whole combined effect paradigm. everyone's calling it an overdrive-chorus-flange-delay, but it's a new effect in itself. while its sounds may exhibit characteristics of the aforementioned effects, to reduce it to such is missing the bigger picture. it's a tape deck in pedal form, and as such, it can do cool weird shit which is kind of like the stuff we know, but with a different spin.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #8047
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Exactly. Very cool design. Props to them for making something so different. They knew that releasing such a pedal without the huge following and income that they have now would have been a riskier decision. They know what they're doing, unlike so many builders these days.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #8048
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

woah.

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #8049
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

"trendy"? that reminds me of monty burns when he asked smithers if he was "groovy"

but if they're halfway good that's a cool idea. i hate the way wahs are so massive. I haven't got round to tidying up my boards yet but when I do I can see wahs being the problem.

only concerns i have are, much like with their other pedals, (1) how well built are they and (2) are they so small that they're actually kind of awkward to use? Regular wahs are way too big, that's preaching to the choir in my case, but i'm not sure lurching to the other extreme will necessarily be any better

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #8050
7thString
UG's fly on the wall

Would it really have been that costly to get an English speaking person to edit that^??

At least they probably sound better than a gcb-95
Still pumped for the Xotic wah.

Last edited by 7thString : Yesterday at 12:02 PM.
7thString is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #8051
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Dave - Morley Maverick Mini Wah. Not as small as the Mooer but it is a manageable size (unlike my PWA behemoth) - and feels like a real wah to use.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #8052
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Thanks. I'll keep that one in mind if I get into trouble when I (eventually) try to sort out my board. EDIT: How does it sound? It says it has a "hybrid vintage/modern tone"... I see the bog standard mini wah has a "vintage wah tone". And they also do a wah/volume pedal in the one.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : Today at 09:37 AM.
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #8053
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

'hybrid vintage/modern tone'...the **** does that mean?

Old Today, 09:52 AM   #8054
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that's what i was wondering.

the prices i saw on the mini wah and mini wah/volume on thomann were pretty decent (£55-£60, that's less than a bog standard crybaby here), though. (they didn't have the maverick in stock) so worth considering, if I run out of room. thanks for the heads-up, cath

Rate This Thread: