Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #241
Calymos

Hey, does anybody have any tips towards getting close to Holdsworth's tone? Just his plain non-AxeSynth stuff, seeing as though I don't have one of those.

I've got a PRS SE Custom 24 and an Epi Les Paul, a 60 watt solid state, and a Line 6 M9 stompbox. So I'm not looking for perfect, I'm just wondering what kind of effects I should try first to get that smooth legato feel so that I can start trying to emulate him.

Guitar journal! Watch me go from suck to awesome in an undetermined amount of time!
Calymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #242
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Honestly, I've had absolutely no luck, would appreciate tips myself.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #243
Calymos

I just found out that my boss's boyfriend (Ralph) mixed Holdsworth's show in Phoenix a few weeks ago, and drove him from the hotel to the venue. He's going to be taking me on a road trip to LA to see Holdsworth sometime in February, and I'm probably going to get to meet this incredible individual in person.

I'm kind of worried, though, because Ralph said that Holdsworth was pounding alcohol the whole time, doing 2 double shots in 20 minutes of Patron and another heavy one, when his breath already smelled of the stuff. I'm not sure that we've got much longer with this genius, it kinda sounds like he's going down the same path that Coltrane went out on.

Guitar journal! Watch me go from suck to awesome in an undetermined amount of time!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #244
Freepower

Holdsy's always hit the drink hard.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #245
Zanon
Commander Fluffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calymos
Hey, does anybody have any tips towards getting close to Holdsworth's tone? Just his plain non-AxeSynth stuff, seeing as though I don't have one of those.

I've got a PRS SE Custom 24 and an Epi Les Paul, a 60 watt solid state, and a Line 6 M9 stompbox. So I'm not looking for perfect, I'm just wondering what kind of effects I should try first to get that smooth legato feel so that I can start trying to emulate him.

I find if you roll pretty much all of the tone off on your guitar and use mess with the pickup positions i can get a fairly passable Holdsy tone - it's more that he has very little attack in his playing which guitarists are renowned for and his lines are all the same dynamic, try playing with your fingers too as it makes the tone rounder and warmer, all legato of course.
Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #246
Calymos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanon
I find if you roll pretty much all of the tone off on your guitar and use mess with the pickup positions i can get a fairly passable Holdsy tone - it's more that he has very little attack in his playing which guitarists are renowned for and his lines are all the same dynamic, try playing with your fingers too as it makes the tone rounder and warmer, all legato of course.

So just aim for a really clean straight guitar tone and then work on my pick attack? I always figured his tone was mostly in his fingers, so it makes sense. Thank you for the tip, I'll see what I can do with that in mind.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #247
power freak
Counting to infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calymos

First off... Clean or dirty sound?

For the clean sound you want next to no break up and a reasonable amount of compression. The "chorus" effect he gets (usually) comes from using lots of short delay, ideally you need a stereo rig to get the "swirling" effect to work, but the deluxe memory man setting by line 6 should get you something passable. Plus a little reverb. Oh and it goes without saying: bridge pickup only and roll the tone and volume off a little.

For the dirty sound: you'll struggle.. It takes some doing! Allan uses a few parametric EQs and often re-amps his dirty sounds. It also depends what era Allan you're after his early stuff (Soft Machine, Gong etc.) mostly used Marshall styled amps without too much added. Some of his later works (Wardenclyffe comes to mind) he used really complex rigs. You're looking for a single Rectifier style distortion/od with boosted mids, adding an EQ (either graphic or parametric) after the OD will help also. You want to kill off most of the high highs and boost the high mids (~2kHz should do it) and cut the bass just enough to not be muddy. A quality transparent compressor will help also (Allan likes the DBX from memory.) Again you'll also want some delay, but not as much and much more subtle than on the clean sound, and the usual bridge pickup with lowered tone/volume will help... The real trick is finding the high mids to boost, once you dial it in you'll be most of the way there.

Regarding pick attack: be as gentle as possible and try to keep your pick straight, angling it will make your sound too bite-y. The compression in your rig should keep everything working well.

And as a shameless advertisement: If anybody is after (or knows anybody who is after) an Ibanez Holdsworth signature model get in touch.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #248
Freepower

Great to see you around again power freak!

I've found a few good Axefx presets that do a decent job of imitating his tone, pretty much what you've said, really boosted mids, low lows and high highs cut quite severely. You usually want to roll off a little tone and volume on the guitar as well.

Take a listen to the patch here - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...html#post605496

Now to just get the notes down.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #249
power freak
Counting to infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Great to see you around again power freak!

I've found a few good Axefx presets that do a decent job of imitating his tone, pretty much what you've said, really boosted mids, low lows and high highs cut quite severely. You usually want to roll off a little tone and volume on the guitar as well.

Take a listen to the patch here - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...html#post605496

Now to just get the notes down.

That sounds like a pretty good patch... At least as far as you can tell via an internet clip. These Axefx things seem pretty interesting, may have to pick one up at some point.

I've been told that Fredrik Thordendal made a "Holdsworth patch" for line 6 that was quite good (NB: this was years ago, probably POD 2.0 era.) It's probably somewhere lurking in the internet somewhere.

But let's be honest, playing around with new gear is far more enjoyable than working on technique for hours on end.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #250
Freepower

Quote:
I've been told that Fredrik Thordendal made a "Holdsworth patch" for line 6 that was quite good (NB: this was years ago, probably POD 2.0 era.) It's probably somewhere lurking in the internet somewhere.

Yeah, I've seen people saying they tried his patches and found them pretty average - I'm sure his breath controller and 30.5in scale vastly change the tone.

Quote:
But let's be honest, playing around with new gear is far more enjoyable than working on technique for hours on end.

I'm in the exact opposite camp.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #251
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Hayyy-ellll yeah!!! Just scored myself a near-mint edition of The Things You See/Sunbird. Been looking damn near 6 years for this exact version. It's always nice to sit down and listen to Holdworth's über-jazzy phase from his early days.

Btw did anyone else know that Gordon Beck died in November last year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #252
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Picked up a vinyl copy of Metal Fatigue today in a charity shop for £5! I was most pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #253
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

I don't do vinyl, mine was just a CD.

Maybe one day I'll get into those things, but with an exponentially growing 400+ collection of CDs, I doubt I'll ever be 'converted'. Besides, I prefer "crystal clear" sound quality over "warm and crackly" any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #254
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFjory
I don't do vinyl, mine was just a CD.

Maybe one day I'll get into those things, but with an exponentially growing 400+ collection of CDs, I doubt I'll ever be 'converted'. Besides, I prefer "crystal clear" sound quality over "warm and crackly" any day.

Totally agreed man, I don't buy in to all that "vinyl is better" bullshit at all. I couldn't resist though, I already have the album anyway I only own two vinyls now, that and Opeth's Live at the Albert Hall special edition. Which is also amazing.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #255
rky

i was looking at the transcription of joshua on the lucas pickford website and i thought the lick at in measure 6 looked pretty stupid the way it was written.. i think this makes much more sense http://imgur.com/MuT39Ig (slide with index from 15-17 on the b string)

holdsworth transcriptions seem to consistently have asstarded fingerings even if the notes/rhythm are correct and are transcribed by supposedly reputable people, anyone else notice this?
Axe FX II + KRK RP8
BBE Green Screamer
MESA/Boogie F50 combo
Weber Mass Lite
rky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #256
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rky
i was looking at the transcription of joshua on the lucas pickford website and i thought the lick at in measure 6 looked pretty stupid the way it was written.. i think this makes much more sense http://imgur.com/MuT39Ig (slide with index from 15-17 on the b string)

holdsworth transcriptions seem to consistently have asstarded fingerings even if the notes/rhythm are correct and are transcribed by supposedly reputable people, anyone else notice this?

It seems to me from watching Holdsworth that he regularly uses asstarded fingerings anyway

Quote:

Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #257
Freepower

Yeah, I'm not sure how often it's that his fingerings are weird vs them being hard to transcribe correctly, both are true.

Rate This Thread: