Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #11561
nick.culliton
not a real pony.

Does it make a difference with your clean tone at all? I know the V2 is mostly for the drive channel, but some people say it covers part of the clean channel as well... typically internet forum information, lol.

Actually, I think you told me that. I read it on a couple forums, though.

Polytune 2 > Full-Drive 3 > OCD > Freeze > Peavey VK212
Effects Loop: CH-1 > 616 Ekko Dark > Hall of Fame > Soul Food

My Band - Debut EP OUT NOW!
nick.culliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #11562
Will Lane
what's boutique

:p "One half of the tube controls the clean, the other half controls the lead." I do use the lead channel for my "clean" tone. I just need more preamp ness with less breakup.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #11563
nick.culliton
not a real pony.

I should really just buy a damn 12AT7. I researched preamp tubes hardcore, trying to find a one with lots of headroom and low noise, and websites where I could buy both tubes from the same place. I was about to place an order to get a Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the V3 and a Tunsol 12AT7, but after I read that the 12AX7LPS not ideal for combo amps due to rattle I just...

Old 04-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #11564
Will Lane
what's boutique

I've been told from the OP(s) that a 12AT7 is what works best in V3. I have a Tung-Sol. It seems to work great c: The only thing I have troubles with is the gain structure, which I'm hopefully solving soon. I have a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1. Adds some crispness and clarity in contrast to the VK's darkness. I think I'll have a good combo going.

I didn't see anything about the LPS causing rattle. I almost bought one a while back.

Last edited by Will Lane : 04-08-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #11565
Jason43
Now you know...

The LPS is fine in the V3 position of a combo. I also had good luck with an AT7 in V3.

You might want to just buy an assortment of different tubes to try out.
1985 Ibanez Pro Line PL1770
Custom made doubleneck
Modified Valveking
Peavey Ultra 410
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #11566
guitarsngear

I just picked up a VK112 used and the reverb is crazy - I can't turn it up at all as soon as I do it starts to make a kind of high pitched hum noise that gets louder as I turn the reverb up, and if I touch the reverb tank it makes a really loud continuous hum (like touching the guitar side of your patch cable to metal) - the loud hum stops if I stop touching the tank.

Anybody else have this issue or know what it might be/how to fix it?
guitarsngear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #11567
metalmingee

First thing I'd check is to make sure the RCA cables are fully seated on both ends. You can try some contact cleaner on the connections as well.

I only had one of these a short while and never had an issue with it so hopefully someone else has seen this.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Mesa Roadster 212 Combo
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #11568
Will Lane
what's boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsngear
I just picked up a VK112 used and the reverb is crazy - I can't turn it up at all as soon as I do it starts to make a kind of high pitched hum noise that gets louder as I turn the reverb up, and if I touch the reverb tank it makes a really loud continuous hum (like touching the guitar side of your patch cable to metal) - the loud hum stops if I stop touching the tank.

Anybody else have this issue or know what it might be/how to fix it?
Well firstly the reverb on the VK is pretty meh so I wouldn't worry about it. Use that Shimverb c: But check the cables to make sure they are fully in. If it persists, look inside the tank (by unmounting it) to see if anything unusual is going on. I wouldn't know how to fix it elsehow :/

---

I did try the Mullard 12AT7 in V2. It did help make the gain a little less bitty, but it sounded kind of thin. No meat to it compared to the 12AX7. A bit of EQ and more clipping could help in that regard. It helps with the lower-end mud as well. But I would only use it for heavily saturated genres.

Also, I found that the "bright" channel along with the tight resonance can give you some really nice cleans. Boost the bass a bit, cut the mids some, and give the treble a slight boost for some blackface tones. Keep the bass boosted, add mids, and cut the treble a bit for VOX. If only the clean channel had preamp/master controls...

Last edited by Will Lane : 04-10-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #11569
guitarsngear

I did check the cables and unmouted the tank and checked it out, everything seems fine - except for the not functioning part - I traded the shimverb as part of the deal to get the amp. I have a couple other verbs I can use though - ones that sound good. I was thinking of doing the reverb to master volume mod since my verb seems to be toast on this unit anyways.
guitarsngear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #11570
nick.culliton
not a real pony.

I hated the VK reverb so much I completely removed the tank. I got annoyed with it after realizing that I sometimes would bump the reverb knob when moving my amp and then forget to check it.

@Will Lane and Jason43
I think I'll get the 12AX7LPS and another TungSol 12AX7 so that I have no more stock JJs. The was manufactured in 2013, so they're probably not bad. But consensus seems to be the JJ tube don't bring out the right tones in this amp.

Anyone have experience with Sovtek 6L6WXTs? When my amp blew up, the tech put those in the power section. Prior to that, I had some medium Groove tubes in it, which sounded very sparkly and clean. These Sovteks just feel so soft in comparison... but the last thing I wanna do is drop another $100 on power tubes for this amp.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #11571
Will Lane
what's boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.culliton
I hated the VK reverb so much I completely removed the tank. I got annoyed with it after realizing that I sometimes would bump the reverb knob when moving my amp and then forget to check it.

@Will Lane and Jason43
I think I'll get the 12AX7LPS and another TungSol 12AX7 so that I have no more stock JJs. The was manufactured in 2013, so they're probably not bad. But consensus seems to be the JJ tube don't bring out the right tones in this amp.

Anyone have experience with Sovtek 6L6WXTs? When my amp blew up, the tech put those in the power section. Prior to that, I had some medium Groove tubes in it, which sounded very sparkly and clean. These Sovteks just feel so soft in comparison... but the last thing I wanna do is drop another $100 on power tubes for this amp.
Try the TungSol in V1 if you don't already have one in there. I use TungSol 6L6's. They seem to work nice.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #11572
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

Clean the RCA plugs and jacks and make sure they are plugged to the correct connectors. Make sure someone hasn't tightened the mounting screws because the tank need vibration isolation from the amp. The tank should float loose.
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: