Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
chorlie

Buying Yamaha THR10 over THR5 worth it? (specs inside)

I've never had an amp in my whole life except when I borrow my brother's bass amp sometimes (I use an electric guitar though)

Does anyone know if it's worth getting a Yamaha THR10 over a THR5?

Here's a link to a comparison between both amps (I don't understand most of it):

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...6_&mode=compare

Many people have been recommending me a Line Pod with studio monitors and such but I'm a beginner and I think it would be easier and safe if I just got myself a regular amp to start with and then move on to the LinePod which I'm still not even sure what it does.

Thanks!

More info: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/...0-516844/review
chorlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I would not buy any amp that uses orange LEDs to simulate 'orange tube glow from the metal speaker grille.' Those are toys.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

They dont sound like toys though, they sound great IMO they arent amps but they are basically a great way of having a compact practice/recording rig and speakers in one. They were developed by the Hi-Fi guys at Yamaha and sound brilliant.

Get the 10, the extra options are worth it for not a lot more money.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
chorlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
They dont sound like toys though, they sound great IMO they arent amps but they are basically a great way of having a compact practice/recording rig and speakers in one. They were developed by the Hi-Fi guys at Yamaha and sound brilliant.

Get the 10, the extra options are worth it for not a lot more money.

But what makes it worth 100$ more exactly?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I stand corrected, I suppose... If that's what you're looking for anyway.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Its not a gig tool, but to stick by your PC or in the front room it perfect and you can turn the "tubes" off

Well the bass amp, mic and acoustic amp is a cool option.

The 10 has more effects a proper EQ section which once you start playing more is a nice feature.

Its small differences that make it a better tool.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
black_box

$200 for the THR5 and $300 for the THR10 seems a bit steep. A peavey vypyr 30 is $200 and has a 1x12 speaker. Granted, you don't need a 12" speaker for low end, most home audio speakers are 6 or 7 inches, but they're getting a more controlled signal and also probably splitting the sound over 2 or more elements (woofer/tweeter). Twin 3.15 inch (8 cm) speakers might sound hollow... I'd definitely listen to them in person first. You're making some tradeoffs for portability. (my receiver is a yamaha and they seem to do a good job for bang for the buck)

Last edited by black_box : 05-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Hydra150
not so cowardly

TS is a legend, I was just about to make this exact thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I would not buy any amp that uses orange LEDs to simulate 'orange tube glow from the metal speaker grille.' Those are toys.

The glow is cool. Toys are fun. Stop being not fun .

I was wondering just how loud do these things go? I am looking for a quiet amp but then again I dont want to be disappointed (which is a moot point anyway because I will obviously try one before I buy it).

I too am unsure if the extra money is worth the upgrade, It's about 80 quid more for three additional amp settings and a better eq - could go either way, depends how much money I have I geuss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box
Granted, you don't need a 12" speaker for low end, most home audio speakers are 6 or 7 inches, but they're getting a more controlled signal and also probably splitting the sound over 2 or more elements (woofer/tweeter). Twin 3.15 inch (8 cm) speakers might sound hollow... I'd definitely listen to them in person first. You're making some tradeoffs for portability. (my receiver is a yamaha and they seem to do a good job for bang for the buck)

Its better that it doesnt have a 12" speaker (I already got a 12" combo thats way too loud), I geuss the sound wont travel or annoy the neighboursas much but I will still be able to hear it well (as it will be on my desk a couple feet away from me), and it is able to be much smaller which is a bonus. 3.5 inches does seem really small [that's what she said] but I geuss the guys at yamaha know what theyre doing when it comes to hifi speakers.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 05-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
i3oosted

I would trust anything from Yamaha to be good.
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
i3oosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
chorlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
I too am unsure if the extra money is worth the upgrade, It's about 80 quid more for three additional amp settings and a better eq -

I heard the EQ on it was pretty bad too. Are the three additional amp settings vital to achieve sounds?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Jarrodthebobo
Youth Gone Wild

On another forum ah chill at there was a giant thread about these things. Supposedly they sound amazing, and steel panther's Satchel has a little ad for it.

FrankenBee Build
Jarrodthebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorlie
I heard the EQ on it was pretty bad too. Are the three additional amp settings vital to achieve sounds?

The additional settings are bass, vocals and a flat setting for keyboards I geuss. Good if youre using it as a recording interface and dont want it treating everything you plug in like a guitar.
Quote:
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
chorlie

Bought it! (:
Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Awesome, I'll be looking forward to your review
Might buy one of these soon - tried practicing today with my tube amp and it was either too loud or sounded really thin when turned dow low.
Quote:

Last edited by Hydra150 : 05-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
&baconstrips

Looking forwards to this NAD
&baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

My buddy just got the 5. He's going to spend the next 6 months gigging on cruise ships and it's perfect for practicing in his quarters without disturbing others. It has a really cool sound but won't project like a regular amp.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
blaksabath

Hey man, If I were you I'd get the THR5 out of those two.

However, I would reccomed a used Fender Mustang 1 (or even new) over the pod and speakers. New is about 100 dollars and used is about 60 and you can get every type of tone. It is an amazing and bang for your buck. It is pretty small and comes with a software called Fuse where you can add all sorts of effects ad patches and stuff through the usb.

Basically, best of both worlds.
blaksabath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
NexAtrum

If the question is still open, I would get the THR10. I have the THR10, and tested both models extensively at GC. The THR10, has much more contour to the tone. The THR10 has your 'bass', 'Mid', and 'Treb' knobs, whereas your THR5, does not. Also has a saved model bank of 5 entries. The sound at higher volume is much better with the 10, than the 5. Other than those two variables there's not a lot of difference. Though I have found that some of the amp models are a little hollow. I'm new to the whole 'EQ', thing, and can be corrected by tweaking settings. While it's not a true, 'amp', by most standards. It IS however the best option for your home recording/sound set up. That's what Yamaha made them for. Your home rig. Not meant for a live setting, while I dont think that it would totally flop, it DOES have limits. One awesome thing about it, is it works as a 'midi recording interface', and comes prepacked with recording software. And it's not crap software. It's damn good software, the price for the software alone is $300.00. And you are allowed to upgrade, as they obviously will have upgrades for the software. What came on the THR10 is the Cubase AI 6. It's professional grade, and is definitely covered by the price of the amp. The orange LED's are mostly for show and comfort. While it's not a tube amp, it is more than capable of reproducing the sound. I have had modeling amplifiers before this one, and none can hold a candle to it. I know I'm coming in late, but I just wanted to throw this out there. I am MORE than satisfied with it and would definitely buy another if it were lost, damaged, or stolen.

Last edited by NexAtrum : 10-13-2013 at 07:22 PM.
NexAtrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
Roc8995

The question isn't still open. It's been over a year. Please don't bump old threads.

Rate This Thread: