Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2004, 12:01 AM   #21
runefan88
God is an American

Quote:
Originally posted by whyvern
Chekov wasn't the only one, read some Doseyestky (I'm not good at spelling his name in English), specifically Notes from the Underground. Also pick up (if you can) some English translations of the russian Nihilists pamphlets, and read Lennins philosophy too. (I took russian history in school , and now I take the languge outside of school).

The russian nihilists I will probably go in-depth like this after I do Dadaism and the Blank Generation (kinda in a reverse cronological order).

o, i noe chekhov wasnt the only one, i just found a quote for him that i had to use.

these russian nihilists, from wut ive read on google, were extremely politically active. i am not that well-informed yet, so i dont want to form ne opinions, but these nihilists definately pissed off many ppl in the russian govt. sum were subject to death, and many were exiled to places like siberia. these ppl, tho, never gave up.

i wish my teacher could equate things in history to punk rock.

Old 01-17-2004, 12:04 AM   #22
whyvern
jet skis on the reg

Quote:
Originally posted by runefan88
o, i noe chekhov wasnt the only one, i just found a quote for him that i had to use.

these russian nihilists, from wut ive read on google, were extremely politically active. i am not that well-informed yet, so i dont want to form ne opinions, but these nihilists definately pissed off many ppl in the russian govt. sum were subject to death, and many were exiled to places like siberia. these ppl, tho, never gave up.

that same kinda **** happened 100 years later in those same cities.

When my Russian teacher was teaching in Minsk, Belarus, in the USSR in 1984, he taught these punk kids english, and they just didn't come to school one day, and it went on for a while, so he went to the kids house to make sure everything was allright and he talked to the kids parents and they said the KGB took them to siberia.

now THAT is some scary ****. If you scare your comrades and they don't like the way you dress, its off to Siberia.

But, Vladivostok has a really big Punk scene because of it.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:08 AM   #23
runefan88
God is an American

Quote:
that same kinda **** happened 100 years later in those same cities.

When my Russian teacher was teaching in Minsk, Belarus, in the USSR in 1984, he taught these punk kids english, and they just didn't come to school one day, and it went on for a while, so he went to the kids house to make sure everything was allright and he talked to the kids parents and they said the KGB took them to siberia.

now THAT is some scary ****. If you scare your comrades and they don't like the way you dress, its off to Siberia.

But, Vladivostok has a really big Punk scene because of it.

that is some scary ****.

dont keep us in suspense aboot the dadaism and blank generation. at least im eager to learn, im sure there r others out there too.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #24
madfingers
Manimal in a Cage

That was damn enlightening mate, good work.

Hopefully that clears some stuff up about the origins of punk, for those who still beleive the Sex Pistols started it.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:44 PM   #25
Gurgle!Argh!
-

Quote:
Originally posted by derococo
Sorry, oh great master. Who are you to tell someone else what to read, Jerk Off. You a ****ing idiot for writing something that long, post a related site or recommend a book. I really don't care, just seems like it's a waste of your time.

Cuntspatch......
Old 01-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #26
XQuickDeathX
Add Wings To A Hawk and..

****ing kids, Great article Whyvern. Very insightful and helped me prove my friend wrong, heh heh heh.

Old 01-17-2004, 07:26 PM   #27
pidevice
STAND UP

That was great, I always wanted to know more about Beat era history. I've read some of the books, not any of the Cassady stuff yet though I want to- I know some about him from his sixties activities with Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.

Last edited by pidevice : 01-19-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:07 AM   #28
chrus
this is how we chill from

Quote:

It's funny how you can trace punk rock to all of these things that on the surface seem to have nothing to do with it.

That's what I love about punk rock. It's wasn't just a music scene lasting the late 70's, it's a whole ****ing life style dated back to god knows when. Sure, the situations were all different, but the ideals were all the same; the good old punk rock state of mind. And even all of the importants bands of this century are realted to punk rock in a way.

Cheers to punk and the Beatnicks!!
Old 01-26-2004, 03:50 AM   #29
Lead4Tardigrade
Banned

Thanks man that was enlightening. So I'm a little confused tho. These people wrote poetry and other things that spoke out against certain things? In a sense...punk kind of stuff? I'm not quite following everything you wrote but it definitely gives me something to research when I'm bored. Any help clarifying what they did would be great. I mean gimme a break it's late eh?

Old 01-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #30
PRWNDWIA
Yeah i like her too

when i can be bothered i will read it, but good post evn though i havnt read it

PunkRockWillNeverDieWhileImAlive
Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 PM   #31
chrus
this is how we chill from

Quote:
Originally posted by PRWNDWIA
when i can be bothered i will read it, but good post evn though i havnt read it

For all you know, he coulda stopped half way and began writing about the positive influences of the KKK.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:35 PM   #32
Andrewbiles

Never heard of this movement thing before, but I read a bit, and I think I've seen that 1948 film 'Key Largo'. I'll be sure to come back read the rest of it at some point. It's good of you to take the time to write something that long, ignore that garagerocker and derococco or whatever their names were, idiots, they didn't have to read any of it anyway so why comment like that?!

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Old 02-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #33
JH013

I'm doing a research paper on a piece of literature by Jack Kerouac. Whats a famous poem of his?

I read up until the chronology and it was great stuff.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:11 AM   #34
Monty
In Your Bedroom

I'll move this to the archives..

Official UG Chrus Crew Member #02

<Jiimy> my pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard
<Jiimy> and they're like do you wanna trade cards

Ordinary people do ****ed up things when ****ed-up things become ordinary - PROPAGANDHI

Punk Forums (click here)

Some Cool Band Links:
Hardcore Links

Oi/Street Links

SAVE THE EEYOREDRAGONS!

UG's Propagandist

Rate This Thread: