Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
theunforgivn
The UG'er who says NEE!

DAWs

I'm wanting to get into composing for video games and movies, however first I want to get a good DAW (ex. Cubase, F!-Studios, etc) to record some of my ideas and hear it in rea! time because as you know, writing out scores can take forever. So what is the best DAW to compose with? As a note, computer requirements and price are not a prob!em; and I compose most!y symphonic music.

Thanks!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1534114 Check out my song
theunforgivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
drying out

Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
drying out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
PSimonR
PSR

I'd still recommend Reaper. Most of ProTools and the like take so long to learn and are frustrating to set up and computer resource hungray. Spend the money saved on some good software strings and pianos and stuff to actually make music with - these are more important than a fancy DAW to mix them with.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
mulefish
UG Addict

If you are going to be doing a lot of film scores etc I'd recommend a fully featured daw.

I use logic which is mac only, but others to look at are cubase and pro tools. Cubase has [or is about to be] upgraded, and imo looks pretty nice. Much more friendly looking interface.

Honestly, I think the features of the top daws these days are all pretty similar. It's more down to user choice than any real difference in product.

I'm pretty sure both cubase and pro tools have free trials - so check them out and pick the one you like most maybe?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

There's a section on software DAWs in the Recording Interfaces sticky in the Recordings forum. Also a couple of threads about VSTs etc, you'll find the answer to most of your questions over there.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
turtleboy

Studio One 2
turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
RX120D
is Zazzy.

I wouldn't bother composing in a DAW at all to be honest. I compose all my music in guitar pro then import the MIDI into the DAW. Use Guitar Pro, Power Tab or Tux guitar to compose your music. I promise you'll find it's a much simpler approach. Also, these programs already sound like a video game soundtrack if you use the MIDI and not the RSE. (RSE is ****ing GARBAGE! C'est de la POUBELLE! Don't use it.)

Metallica FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Give in? To a girl? HA! I'd rather give in to North Korea.

\m/
RX120D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
SHaun Steel

They are all good and they all have little things that each do better than one another. I read that you wanna do film scores. None of the DAW's come with a comprehensive high quality orchestral library but some do come with workable soft synths. So i guess you have to ask yourself what kinda scoring your gonna be doing epic classical based stuff or the more modern electronic stuff. If it's the classical end of the spectrum I would suggest Reaper. It's the most affordable option that has all the power under the hood that the big money DAW's have. The other plus side is you can spend whatever you have left in your budget at an orchestral library VST'I. If it's the modern stuff then Cubase or Logic if you run a mac. They cost more off the bat as they are coming bundled with instruments and library's.
SHaun Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
mulefish
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX120D
I wouldn't bother composing in a DAW at all to be honest. I compose all my music in guitar pro then import the MIDI into the DAW. Use Guitar Pro, Power Tab or Tux guitar to compose your music. I promise you'll find it's a much simpler approach. Also, these programs already sound like a video game soundtrack if you use the MIDI and not the RSE. (RSE is ****ing GARBAGE! C'est de la POUBELLE! Don't use it.)

I do this for somethings - but to be honest - with articulations and such composing in anything less than sibelius for film isn't going to be very good imo.

For orchestration I think a midi keyboard is the best bet into either a good daw or sibelius.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
smartalecG94
UG's Resident MoonMoon

A friend of mine is a producer, which I realize has different needs than a composer, but he swears by Fruity Loops Studio (AKA FL Studio). So thats really all I have to offer as far as DAWs go. I'm not much of a computer guy when it comes to music but I trust my buddy on this.

I'm watching you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleOfSmoke
If I was a rich man in 17th century Britain, I'd totally adopt Alec and make him my heir.
smartalecG94 is offline   Reply With Quote