Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
He's serious.

And bass gear isn't really expensive. You can get a $200 Squier and a $500 Ampeg amp and be fine. Squier basses seem to be better quality than their guitars.

But really, do what you want to do. Punk bass is really fun, imo. You can really just rock out and be loud and crazy.

Good bass gear is. I was purely a bassist for 4 years before I picked up guitar. I still have SVT GAS from time to time.

EDIT: Thought of something else. What kind of music do you like?

Also, have you tried other one, yet? You never know, you could walk into a music store and hate/love either-or.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

Last edited by JustRooster : 01-27-2013 at 10:01 PM.
JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
Alucard817

I play both bass and guitar, not very well mind you, but I do play them.

Personally I prefer bass. The way I look at the two is this:
Good guitarists get the fame and a good bass player gets the women to shake their asses.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #23
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Do whichever you want more. I wouldn't choose based on what a band needs myself, I'd choose based on what I want to play.

Also, look for a used Ibanez SGR bass if you decide to get a bass. I can vouch for the Japanese made SGRs, they are awesome. I got mine for $100 in a pawn shop.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #24
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterpossum
Oh my goodness, thank you. That was one of the only serious responses I've gotten today. A friend of mine is starting a band, and he wants me to join once I've made my decision. I go to a really small school, and we've got two bass players and three guitar players, including him.
There's a girl who plays epic rhythm guitar, a dude who plays metal/punk drums, one of the bassists, then him, who plays lead guitar. Since there's already a bassist, I'm having trouble choosing.

i like your enthusiasm, and its much refreshing, but it will take some blood sweat and tears for a while until you are ready for a band.

good luck. honestly i would go to a music store, grab a bass, feel it and you would likely know a few things, like how to hit a note. then grab a guitar. get what feels natural.

you have to make the decision on what you want to play, not us. although most of us probably play both to some degree.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
RedMist

Bands are always looking for bass players, which is something to think about. I have to disagree with an above comment. Basses are not cheaper. In most cases a nice bass setup will be more expensive.
If I were you. I would buy an acoustic guitar and learn to play first. Yamaha makes a great entry level acoustic for around $300.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMist
Bands are always looking for bass players, which is something to think about. I have to disagree with an above comment. Basses are not cheaper. In most cases a nice bass setup will be more expensive.
If I were you. I would buy an acoustic guitar and learn to play first. Yamaha makes a great entry level acoustic for around $300.

i don't see how getting an acoustic would be what he wants. nor is it better/easier to learn on. all of the bands he listed used electric guitars, and electric bases. i would go for one of those.

OP just see what you like better. this really has to be your choice. and also there is no reason why you couldn't play both. at some point. whether it be a few months down the road or a few years.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #27
Toasterpossum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i like your enthusiasm, and its much refreshing, but it will take some blood sweat and tears for a while until you are ready for a band.

good luck. honestly i would go to a music store, grab a bass, feel it and you would likely know a few things, like how to hit a note. then grab a guitar. get what feels natural.

you have to make the decision on what you want to play, not us. although most of us probably play both to some degree.

Thanks for the suggestion, but again, I live in a small town. We don't have any music stores within a few hours.
Toasterpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
RedMist

[QUOTE=trashedlostfdup]i don't see how getting an acoustic would be what he wants. nor is it better/easier to learn on. all of the bands he listed used electric guitars, and electric bases. i would go for one of those.

OP just see what you like better. this really has to be your choice. and also there is no reason why you couldn't play both. at some point. whether it be a few months down the road or a few years.[/QUOTE
I am a firm believer that you should learn the basics on an acoustic first. That's why many metal players are "exposed" when handed an acoustic.
The OP is only 13. Lots of time to do it the right way. $.02
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
ibacred
Plays the Geetar

What do you listen for when you here music with good guitar and bass? I always found myself listening to the guitar, then feeling the urge to play and follow along with it. That's why I chose guitar. Listening to bass never gave me that urge to play.

Also, try them both out. Basses are huge to me and just feel unatural, while a guitar feels 'correct'. Some people do play both though, but most favor one over the other.

And where do you guys live? We have a huge pool of bassists in my area but not many 'good' guitarists. The ones we do have are just teenage shredders who only want to play teh brootz.

Carvin Bolt Classic
LTD EC 1000
Parker PDF100
HD500 pod
ibacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #30
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

What nobody's really touched on is that both instruments fill different roles within a band setting, and personally I feel that whichever instrument you choose should reflect the role you most want to play... with the knowledge that you can always branch out and try the other later. I started on guitar, and now I play both, and I love them equally.

Bass is the foundation of the band. You're down there with the drums, holding everything together with power and groove. It's not always flashy, but it has to be there. Guitar... well, guitar can be anything. Basically, do you want to be the dependable guy keeping the band solid or do you want to be the flashy guy up front chugging and/or widdling away?
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
jugglingfreak
UG Newbie

Well, the tuning for a Uke is different (G-C-E-A is standard, I believe).

But that is not too difficult to overcome. Your Uke playing will probably give you a leg up on strumming.

apart from that
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonStevens
Basically, do you want to be the dependable guy keeping the band solid or do you want to be the flashy guy up front chugging and/or widdling away?

what he said..
jugglingfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
[

OP just see what you like better. this really has to be your choice. and also there is no reason why you couldn't play both. at some point. whether it be a few months down the road or a few years.[/QUOTE
I am a firm believer that you should learn the basics on an acoustic first. That's why many metal players are "exposed" when handed an acoustic.

Yea, I'm sure many acoustic, Bob Dylan and Van Morrison players shine when asked to play some Satriani.

If you aren't interested in acoustic then there's little point. It may have its uses but if people have well structured practice it doesn't matter what they learn on, as they're doing everything right anyway.

Personally I see them as different instruments for different genres, not all will apply to what you want to play so learn what applies and everything else is an added bonus. Focus on what you want to learn, that way you'll stay at maximum motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-28-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #33
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
[QUOTE=trashedlostfdup]i don't see how getting an acoustic would be what he wants. nor is it better/easier to learn on. all of the bands he listed used electric guitars, and electric bases. i would go for one of those.

do you teach? i have for two years now. students who do the best are the students that are playing what they want to play. most of my students started electric by choice, i have a few students on acoustics and thats find too. they learn well.

what is stupid to recommend a person something that they are not interested in. he listed pop punk bands, and for those particular bands use electrics. maybe he will say he is and if he is that is fine. but i wouldn't ever say to start on ______ first. tell them to start what they like.

i usually have around eight students, four of which have been with me since day one. two of which are developing well, but are still very new and the other two can be anything, one usually floats and isn't interested in the work that it takes to play.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #34
Connolluer

Also bass is only as boring as you make it. You could try writing your own tunes that make the bass more prominent, I have a hard time finding tunes that are fun to play that don't involve just copying the guitar part.

Connolluer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #35
AcidParadox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolluer
Also bass is only as boring as you make it. You could try writing your own tunes that make the bass more prominent, I have a hard time finding tunes that are fun to play that don't involve just copying the guitar part.

I- I don't understand. Are you an adbot? Should I report him?
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: