Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
nivlarama

How do you ease tensions in the band?

My band is a 3 piece and we've got a new drummer. The bassist and I go way back but lately there's been some tension. I don't feel like the bassist listens to any suggestions I make.

I've been sort of withdrawn from the band however I want to suggest things to practice that make us good instead of decent. Also the other two talk and joke around a lot, they seem to enjoy talking smack about whoever.

Should I just chill and take things slowly? How should I go about engaging myself into this band? How do I address the talking issue without seeming rude/boring?
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.

Last edited by nivlarama : 02-20-2013 at 11:47 PM.
nivlarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
kilbie
Super Noob

You'll have to be a little more specific about the suggestions you are making that the bassist is not listening to. Are they song choice suggestions or are they suggested improvements to his playing?

Acting withdrawn isn't going to improve anything. I think you've just got to try and have some fun with your band. It seems that with the addition of the new drummer your band dynamic has changed. You can't change things back to how they were, so you must find new ways to get the most out of band practices. With regards your "things to practice that make us good instead of decent", how you go about it really depends on what the "things to practice" are. You really have to be a little more specific.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbie
With regards your "things to practice that make us good instead of decent", how you go about it really depends on what the "things to practice" are. You really have to be a little more specific.
This.

TS, what do you want your band to be good at? Better yet, what does the band (collectively) want to be good at?

Rate This Thread: