Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
britlohse

Problem With Blues Deluxe Tube Amp

I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe from a guy off craigslist and it is killer! I love it. Just recently the volume dropped A LOT. I've seen this happen to other people but in all those cases it fluctuates and steadily gains volume back. Mine just stays low and it also is breaking up quite a lot. If I turn up the volume it doesn't get louder, just more overdriven. I have ruled out all cables and other equipment and also checked the connections for the tubes.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?!

Thanks.
britlohse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
classicrocker01
Hit the Lights!!

Sounds like a tube failure. I would think power tubes, but could be preamp tubes as well. I'd wait for other opinions, but that sounds like it to me.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniv.
Squire Tele
Krank 1980/Marshall MF400 4x12
Krank Rev Jr/Mesa Recto 4x12
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Call me Dylan
classicrocker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Prolly tubes and since you should have a spare set anyway just order up a full retube and replace until it works right
Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

I've got an amp with the same issues. I replaced the tubes and it still doesn't work right. Soooo, I haven't a clue.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
I've got an amp with the same issues. I replaced the tubes and it still doesn't work right. Soooo, I haven't a clue.

Tech time. The remaining issues possible are usually either a bad solder joint or a failed minor component and a decent tech should be able to sort it quickly.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Don't forget to check your preamp valves as well as your power amp valves. Lots of people, when talking about their amps' valves, only think of the power amp. Those preamp valves need to be cared for, too!

This could also be the result of inconsistent power, or a dodgy effects loop. As well as checking all the valves, check out the power supply & transformer—remember to let the power fully dissipate before going near it, as the voltage carried in those things can kill you—and take a look at the loop.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
britlohse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Don't forget to check your preamp valves as well as your power amp valves. Lots of people, when talking about their amps' valves, only think of the power amp. Those preamp valves need to be cared for, too!

This could also be the result of inconsistent power, or a dodgy effects loop. As well as checking all the valves, check out the power supply & transformer—remember to let the power fully dissipate before going near it, as the voltage carried in those things can kill you—and take a look at the loop.

It did start right after I was messing around with the effects loop for the first time... I think I'm just going to have to save up a bit and take it it to a tech

Thanks for all the input though!
britlohse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Tech time. The remaining issues possible are usually either a bad solder joint or a failed minor component and a decent tech should be able to sort it quickly.

Tech time is exactly what I've been thinkin'.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: