Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Jericho79

Question Is establishing melodies a big part of writing music?

Hey everyone. I own a lot of U2 and Green Day CD's. And I've read the liner notes for every one of those CD's.

In almost all the liner notes, the songwriting credits are denoted as "Lyrics by Bono, Music by U2" or "Lyrics by Billie Joe, Music by Green Day".

When it says "Music by U2"- Does it mean that the band created all the melodies, riffs, hooks, harmonies, and chord progressions while composing the music itself?

In other words- Is developing melodies a large part of writing music?

Thanks guys!
Jericho79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Wrst_Plyr_Evr
UG's resident ska kid

I imagine what they mean is that Bono/Billie Joe wrote the lyrics and the vocal melody and everyone kind of wrote around that.
Wrst_Plyr_Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
doubtfulsalmon

Chances are it means that everyone will have had some part in everything, which is normal in a band, likelihood is the singer will have had the biggest part in the melody. Also the lyrics could be written to another band members melody, or another band member wrote the melody after the singer wrote the lyrics.

Developing melody is large part of most music, but it doesn't have to be, do things the way you feel is best.

Noise
doubtfulsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Jordan89R

it means - lyrics done by one person (frontman) & music is a collaborative effort (i.e. the entire band)..
Jordan89R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Jericho79

I'm just curious, guys.

In a band- Does the lyricist usually come up with a melody? Or is it a collaborative effort among all band members while composing the music itself?

Does it really depend on the band?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
doubtfulsalmon

Not only does it depend on the band but it can vary from song to song.

Noise
doubtfulsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Craig Antley

Yeah it really depends on the band and the song. In my band with our previous singer, I wrote 5 complete songs, he took the melodies I wrote for it and riffed off of it, meaning he kept the integrity of the vocal melody I wrote but made it his own, fit it to his vocals. He wrote 5 songs too and we wrote 2 songs together where I came up with a riff/chord progression and he came up with the vocal melody and lyrics.

It all depends, there's no cookie cutter mold, it's all about what kind of songwriting you want to do but I would say that vocal melodies are very important in that it's what people instantly recognize and most often is what makes the song. In music you have 3 components: rhythm, harmony (chords/chord progression), and melody. The rhythm and harmony support the melody, but at the same time, the melody fits with the chords and rhythm, they all are an interlocking whole. Once you have all them complimenting each other, you've got strong and good music!

Last edited by Craig Antley : 05-26-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Craig Antley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Jon_Evo

Got it spot on. Lyrics includes vocal melodies + actual lyrics themselves and music = backing, other instruments etc. Sometimes a lead singer may write the entire song and just work out the parts for other musicians. Sometimes one of the other band members might write a whole song (including lyrics) which then the lead vocalist will sing. It's because of this that it has to be specified.
Jon_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Jericho79

Hey guys. OP here.

What about a song's chord progressions, rhythm, harmonies, riffs, and hooks?

Are those aspects derived from a melody? Or is it the other way around?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Jagmaster33

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtfulsalmon
Chances are it means that everyone will have had some part in everything, which is normal in a band, likelihood is the singer will have had the biggest part in the melody. Also the lyrics could be written to another band members melody, or another band member wrote the melody after the singer wrote the lyrics.

Developing melody is large part of most music, but it doesn't have to be, do things the way you feel is best.

^^^ This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79
Hey guys. OP here.

What about a song's chord progressions, rhythm, harmonies, riffs, and hooks?

Are those aspects derived from a melody? Or is it the other way around?

The melody is usually derived from the chord progression and rhythm. It is possible, however, to create a melody first and then figure out what chords/rhythms are implied by the melody.

Last edited by Jagmaster33 : 05-29-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Jagmaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote