Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
eldraco

buying advice

Hi all,
I currently have an Ibanez RG321. I want to buy a new guitar with a whammy bar and trem lock. Budget round about 450. I play metal and rock, Maiden, Rush, Dio etc. I am based in UK. Any advice would be most welcome as looking to buy next couple of days. I know the best thing to do is go to a store and try a few but just looking for some suggestions as a starting point.

Also looking to change amp, I have a line 6 spider 15 watt but looking for something which sounds good with minimal fuss, ie less effects, straightforward clean and gain with reverb. Only for home use so 15 watts more than enough.

Thanks
eldraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what's your budget for the amp?

i'd say that (unless you get lucky) 450 is just below the point where locking trems start to get decent... and it's really worth getting a decent locking trem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
eldraco

thanks for the reply. so what price am i looking at for a decent locking trem? any particular model?
eldraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the worst that i'd personally consider is an frt-x000. it's the korean-made version of the OFR (which is usually made by schaller in germany; the schaller version is better (IMO) but the frt-x000 is alright, and should be (don't quote me, i haven't done the swap myself) a direct swap for the schaller OFR). you also have the gotoh trem which is good (ge1996tc, i think musicman uses a rebranded version) or a schaller branded trem, and from ibanez, teh edge, lo-pro edge and edge pro. And maybe the ZR and edge zero (no real experience with those). (bear in mind anything with "II" or "III" after it isn't as good- edge is good, edge III isn't, kind of thing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: