Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Dragulan

Technical Death Metal

Hey all,

I'm a really big fan of all forms of death metal / brutal / slam / and technical! I'm trying to play more like new Abominable Putridity and any Dying Fetus. Brutal riffing with a bunch of awesome licks in the mix. The only thing is I'm still an amateur at guitar. I've been looking for some sort of tutorial but it seems like tech death is untaught. What I've been doing is just listening to it and getting ideas from other tech death songs by ear.

This is my first crack at it, it's only 23 seconds long (please keep in mind I am an acclaimed amateur at guitar!)

https://soundcloud.com/regurgitate/attempting-technical

Thanks for checking out my post/riff!

Edit****

I also am in Drop A tuning. I feel this sounds really good with the kind of music I'm going for. Does anybody object and think I should try something different? I don't like drop D it just doesn't sound right with my guitar. I have a Schecter Damien-6

Last edited by Dragulan : 01-18-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Dragulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Finally, a death metal question. I mostly play technical DM and brutal DM, and use a 7 string, tuned to A#. Don't use drop A tuning (Nile is the exception). You will rely on the 1 finger triads, too much. What you're playing will most likely sound like deathcore. After all, deathcore is for people that try to be heavy with knowing how to play guitar, by only focusing on simple breakdowns. I strongly suggest learning how to become heavy, by using D# or C# standard first. Once you learn dynamics are applied and emphasized (eg like the beginning of Hammer Smashed Face), you'll have no problem achieving that sound.
SP1N3SPL1TT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Dragulan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1N3SPL1TT3R
Finally, a death metal question. I mostly play technical DM and brutal DM, and use a 7 string, tuned to A#. Don't use drop A tuning (Nile is the exception). You will rely on the 1 finger triads, too much. What you're playing will most likely sound like deathcore. After all, deathcore is for people that try to be heavy with knowing how to play guitar, by only focusing on simple breakdowns. I strongly suggest learning how to become heavy, by using D# or C# standard first. Once you learn dynamics are applied and emphasized (eg like the beginning of Hammer Smashed Face), you'll have no problem achieving that sound.

Thank you! I appreciate the response. I'm not a huge fan of deathcore so I'll definitely check out those tunings.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:

List of tech death bands who play in drop tunings according to the Metal forum:

Psycroptic
Martyr
Origin
Nile
The Red Shore

Nile are clearly not some kind of special exception; you will only rely too much on the one finger chords if you allow yourself to rely on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragulan
The only thing is I'm still an amateur at guitar. I've been looking for some sort of tutorial but it seems like tech death is untaught. What I've been doing is just listening to it and getting ideas from other tech death songs by ear.

The reason you don't see a lot of lessons specific to technical death metal is because it's a pretty niche genre. There's just not a big enough audience that it merits its own genre specific lessons outside of generalized metal lessons.

What you're doing is more or less the best way to learn, anyway. Basically, learn technique as needed from whatever source you can and then try to use those techniques in a phrase that sounds like technical death metal.

Quote:
This is my first crack at it, it's only 23 seconds long (please keep in mind I am an acclaimed amateur at guitar!)

https://soundcloud.com/regurgitate/attempting-technical

Thanks for checking out my post/riff!

This isn't the right forum (try original recordings). But since you're here, here's my take: the riffs were decent, but a little forgettable. What bugged me was that your tone was really fizzy. Cut the treble a little bit (or, if you have a designated EQ device, cut a little bit above the 3 kHz range) and it'll sound a lot smoother. The bands you named have pretty fizzy tones themselves, but yours seemed a little over the top in that regard.

Quote:
Edit****

I also am in Drop A tuning. I feel this sounds really good with the kind of music I'm going for. Does anybody object and think I should try something different? I don't like drop D it just doesn't sound right with my guitar. I have a Schecter Damien-6

**** it. Use what tuning you want. It's personal preference. I use standard tunings because I like them, not because someone told me that it's better or something. If you like to use drop A, then do it. Tunings are not genre specific - use whichever tuning will help you phrase things the way you want.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Quote:

This is kind of all wrong.

First of all, what exactly is wrong with playing power chords with one finger in a drop tuning?

Second, I'm not sure that you know what triads or dynamics are.

Third, how it will sound is a matter of how you play, not what tuning you use.

Fourth, you don't seem to really know much about deathcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Dragulan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
This isn't the right forum (try original recordings). But since you're here, here's my take: the riffs were decent, but a little forgettable. What bugged me was that your tone was really fizzy. Cut the treble a little bit (or, if you have a designated EQ device, cut a little bit above the 3 kHz range) and it'll sound a lot smoother. The bands you named have pretty fizzy tones themselves, but yours seemed a little over the top in that regard.

I appreciate the detailed response! My mistake for posting my riff on here I thought it would be okay just because it was under "techniques" and I wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction.

I'm using Amplitude on Cubase to record so I will crank the treble down with the amp I used. I was having a tough time nailing down which amp I like the best and I've decided with a Mesa effect and a guitar impulse makes it sound really good for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
sea`

Your song really doesn't sound like tech death at all to me.

Short answer: practice other songs really, really slowly until you can play things flawlessly at low tempos, then gradually speed up. It could take you months if not years to really be able to cleanly play an especially difficult teach death song (especially one featuring advanced techniques like sweeping), but that's what you've gotta do.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragulan
I'm using Amplitude on Cubase to record so I will crank the treble down with the amp I used. I was having a tough time nailing down which amp I like the best and I've decided with a Mesa effect and a guitar impulse makes it sound really good for me.

Mesas especially (I don't know about your specific simulator, but I'd imagine this is at least somewhat true) have a tendency to have a very defined presence, which gives them exceptional note definition at low volumes. The trouble is, if you go too far with the treble and roll the volume up, then that lovely definition very quickly turns into fizz. If you're gonna be using a Mesa or a Mesa sim, I'd recommend you be sparing with the treble once you start boosting the volume. If you can, record at whatever volume you'd like, then amplify it as needed and use re-amping to modify the treble as needed.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: