Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #181
Ippon
Amped

Gretsch Billy Bo, 20th Ann XTC, and for my bass amps, Aguilar 810 and 412 and Orange 810.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #182
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Speaking of needing room!

My parents have a small grand in their house- a Yamaha that is @5'6" or so- and it dominates the room in which it sits. Any bigger, and there would be no place for an audience to sit. And when Mom plays with any gusto, not only can it be heard throughout the house, it can be heard across the street and in the neighbors' houses!

i played one taking lessons (i picked it up again in the last year or so, before that i hadn't since i was 13) and it was an eargasm. it was just stunning. he was a music leader at a local church (i don't go there) and that church has a deep pocketbook and when he took the position he chose what he wanted and wasn't on limited funds, so why not buy one of the best available pianos in the country/maybe world.

i may have to save up a bit for that though i have the room. i have two houses one has a completely 18'x20' empty room that would be perfect, comes right off of the ******* and living room area. lots of windows and it nice because the house is pointed north so i get sunrise and sunset on the respected sides. the other is larger but doesn't have a ton of room.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #183
dannyalcatraz

Well, there you go!

Our church has a couple of Steinway pianos: one is an upright in the practice room, but the one in the sanctuary is the full macgilla. Yes, it is niiiiice.

(The church pianist is a veteran jazz cat, and he also gets to play on some of the best grands in the region for certain gigs.)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #184
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Well, there you go!

Our church has a couple of Steinway pianos: one is an upright in the practice room, but the one in the sanctuary is the full macgilla. Yes, it is niiiiice.

(The church pianist is a veteran jazz cat, and he also gets to play on some of the best grands in the region for certain gigs.)

mine teacher was major into blues/jazz, didn't care for 'church music' and listened to and played most frequently blues piano and 'street music'. he has a IIRC doctorate in pipe organ and piano. he has gone to multiple schools, but i think the doctorate was juliart. he could play blues like nobody else.

he retired at 65 (two months ago) and moved back to new orleans. i wish he was still here, by far the best teacher i have ever had. he fired most of his students in the first month but i hung around and he liked my dedication. which including memorizing all major b and # scales the first week.

but i miss that piano.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #185
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

I'm really gassing for a Mahogany strat with BKP Painkillers....I really miss my Painkiller...should of never sold that thing.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #186
dannyalcatraz

The church gig is just that- a gig.

Normally, you wouldn't find a guy like him playing piano in a Catholic Church choir: besides being a Methodist, he has an utterly killer jazz trio, and is, as they say, "big in Japan." He's one of the most talented pianists I've ever met. I once witnessed him play "Take Five" in 5/4, 4/4, 3/4, 6/4 and 7/4 on the fly...not because this was something he does, but because I was telling him about a guy who recorded the piece in 4/4, and I was bemoaning how bad it sounded, and why that guy didn't try a more difficult or interesting time signature for his recording.

BUT...

He has been friends and a musical collaborator with our music director for at least two decades...and the choir is a bunch of freaking ringers.

The choir director is a Christian rock artist (vox, guitar, trumpet) who has had Andy Timmons play lead on his albums and who also is among the few people chosen by the RCC to rewrite the music for the services. He's done World Youth Day almost every year for the past 2 popes, and will probably be doing likewise for Frances. He got his Masters out of North Texas State.

The other guitarist was good enough to play music professionally, but opted to become a photographer. He didn't stop playing, he just took more photos of the guys he was hanging out with than playing with them. Guys like CSN&Y.

The bass player has the chops to hang with those guys, so you know he's got skill.

Plus, there are at least 2 other recording artists in the group.

Heck- our Monsignor taught our Choir director the guitar at some point. Presumably some time after he stopped being a roadie and became a priest.

And our congregation is clueless...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 06-21-2013 at 10:36 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: