Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
poet666

FR trem being lifted by bends.

HI.

Got myself a new Ibanez GRG270BK to learn some metal for kicks with a FR style trem, my first FR. (Teles and LPs)

When I'm doing even light bends I'm pulling the trem bridge up at the same time, making all the other notes go way down out of tune, so bends up to other notes are impossible.

Is this normal for an FR, or is it a poor one, do I need more springs, or are my bends too heavy, is there a way to bend without it doing that.....?

Thanks for your time.
poet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
2PtDescartes

Yup, that's normal. Drives me nuts too, but the raygun floyd sound makes me not miss the double bends so much. More springs might help a bit.
2PtDescartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Perfectly normal, you just have to learn to compensate but it's an absolute ballache for unison bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

It's normal.

I mainly play fender strats and hollowbody jazz guitars. Some stuff i can do with the strat that i can't with the hollowbody because of the vintage tremolo, and some stuff i can do with the hollowbody that i can't do with the strat because of a fixed bridge.

What you can do is get yourself a Tremol-No. (Google search it)
You basically replace a spring with the tremol-no and then you can adjust it so your guitar can go from a floyd rose guitar to a fixed bridge, obviously you can't use the floyd when it's in fixed bridge mode though. You will never be able to solve the problem perfectly of having a floating bridge so you can do all the whammy stuff and still have the rest of the strings stay in tune when you bend one string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
poet666

Thanks Guys.

Good to know its not a fault.

It's a great budget guitar, landed on my feet in terms of action and fretboard, a delight. Plus she's been showing me how sloppy my technique has gotten.
Glad I'm not going to have to change her, I'm sure I can learn to compensate on those bends.
The Tremol-no looks nice, but a bit pricey for a budget axe. Good to know though, looks like a good piece of kit.

Cheers!
poet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Silord1
Silord1

That's part of the reason that I got shut of my RG350, that and I like to down tune the E string at random intervals without swapping guitars.

You do get used to it though and in my case it actually helped my left hand muting technique cause I learned to position my fingers slightly different so that it muted the other strings when going for a bend that way if, sorry when, I caught the other strings with the pick they didn't sound.

As for the playability of that GRG I've yet to play an ibanez that doesn't play well, they're just awesomely made for the price, I mean my RG was £280 when I bought it and it was just phenomenal!
Silord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: