Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #1161
jvaferreira

Hi, I think this is my first post here

I've been meaning to buy myself a new guitar and at this point I'm thinking of wether upgrading my Epiphone LP100, or buying a new model.

I'm thinking of getting an Explorer pretty much because of Metallica (no other reason really ) or getting this guitar (link ) that I'm absolutely in love with.

But I'm not sure if it's a good deal, I could buy a cheap Gibson for that price... right now I'm only looking at Epiphone/Gibson because it's the only brand I know and I don't like double-cut models, so no Fender or Ibanez for me.
jvaferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #1162
JBailey23
Oh Captain, my Captain

ESP/LTD has some decently priced Les Paul and Explorer style guitars...AND...Metallica has been endorsed by them for years. The new guitar route with whatever brand/model you find would be the better option than upgrading the parts on the one you have most likely unless you really like your LP.

LTD TE-406
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Marshall 1960a
Morley, MXR, Boss, BBE, and ISP effects

www.reverbnation.com/sleepjuliet
www.sleepjuliet.com
JBailey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #1163
MCmnbvgyuio

My head and cab are both switchable to 4ohms and 16 ohms, I know I need to match them, but are there benefits of having higher/lower ohm ratings, or does it not make a difference as long as they match?
MCmnbvgyuio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #1164
MCmnbvgyuio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaferreira

I've been meaning to buy myself a new guitar and at this point I'm thinking of wether upgrading my Epiphone LP100, or buying a new model.

I'm thinking of getting an Explorer pretty much because of Metallica (no other reason really ) or getting this guitar (link ) that I'm absolutely in love with.

But I'm not sure if it's a good deal, I could buy a cheap Gibson for that price... right now I'm only looking at Epiphone/Gibson because it's the only brand I know and I don't like double-cut models, so no Fender or Ibanez for me.

It would depend on which explorer you get, but being an epiphone/Gibson man myself, you'll probably get a better sound upgrading your LP100 if you're going for a cheaper explorer model. If you like how the LP100 plays, then replace the pickups for some nice passives. If you want an active guitar, then the Malia signature looks and probably plays amazingly, but since it's a signature you might limit your tone, I'm not 100% sure on the specs. It might also be worth looking at the epiphone EMG Les Paul range, they look like the Matt Heafy signature models which are GORGEOUS and they have the brutal active EMGs
MCmnbvgyuio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 AM   #1165
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaferreira

i was actually in this exact situation years ago, i was a huge metallica fan at the time and really wanted an explorer. i was almost going to pull the trigger on an LTD explorer because it was very reasonable and i liked the way it played. i ended up finding a used gibson explorer shortly after though for around 750 bucks, i sold it a while back for about the same price.

you can actually get some pretty good deals on used gibsons, and they'll pretty much keep their value if you want to sell it later. i'd recommend a used gibson.

if you are really on a budget then go ahead and look for a used LTD, i am sure you could get one around the 300 to 400 range. i actually liked them quite a bit, at the time they used passive EMG's that i thought were actually quite good.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 07-20-2015 at 01:50 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:48 AM   #1166
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCmnbvgyuio
My head and cab are both switchable to 4ohms and 16 ohms, I know I need to match them, but are there benefits of having higher/lower ohm ratings, or does it not make a difference as long as they match?

yes, you do want the output impedance from the amp to match the impedance setting on the cab.

i thought there was some big tone secret about ohm specs on amplifiers, then i talked to a guy who built amplifiers and asked him how did he choose the impedance specs for his amps. his response was pretty much:

"I decided what output tubes i wanted to use and then looked up the transformers in the catalog that were appropriate to handle those specs and picked one out of there"

there ya have it.

afaik amp designers don't really fret about the tonal consequences of output impedance. though i have heard that there is some (lower impedance = more low end), but the ability to even be able to claim these as significant or noticeable is highly debatable (and you can believe it is esoteric enough that we have debated it here).

there is also some talk about how the different impedance settings can make the amp 'work harder' or 'work less'. i am thinking if this is a real thing then it is probably also quite inconsequential. there is also some talk about lower impedance settings being louder (once again having to deal with working the speakers or amp), but i think this conclusion is influenced from people applying concepts of solid state amps to tube amps.

i'd say try both settings and see how they work for you. maybe you'll like your cab running all the speakers in parallel (4 ohm settings) more than you'll like the way the cab sounds running the speakers in series-parallel (16 ohm setting). maybe you won't notice a difference.

the biggest thing i notice about choosing an amp's output impedance is mainly speaker/cabinet choice. i'd prefer an amp that has either

1) a 16 ohm jack and two parallel 8 ohm jacks

or

2) two parallel jacks with a 4, 8 and 16 ohm setting

because it pretty much covers all my bases for whatever cab i want to run with it.

-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 07-20-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #1167
Sunfist

I have an amp that does not have a headphone output jack, but it does have a line out jack, would that work as a headphone out?
Sunfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #1168
nico_9550
usertitle

Is there anything similar* to the micro terror and in the same price range?

*by similar I mean very small and with valves
nico_9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:50 PM   #1169
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_9550

Not for $100. It only has one tube, supposedly its preamp so it is definitely to be considered as Hybrid. The whole power section is solid state. One other thing, that they are 20 watts, what you certainly won't find in that range. If you get a chance to try one, run it into a 12 inch speaker or bigger cab, they can get pretty nice. a tube screamer can hit up the front and a little bit also. I definitely know that I will get one when I find it for the right price in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #1170
Will Lane
left an ac30 on his truck

Quote:

VOX Valvetronix is the best I can think of. A bit more expensive but it has a lot more versatility and tone shaping.
"Get up, turn up the mix level and wash your sins away!"
Will Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #1171
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD

Quote:

I don't know if they still make it, but Kustom made a little 5 watt all tube amp a while back, it was like 100 bucks. I also don't know if they still make it, but the Epiphone Valve Junior was also a cheap deal that sounded pretty alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
What can I say? I can't get enough of the cocks.
[/size]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62

I ****ing love California.
imgooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #1172
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgooley
I don't know if they still make it, but Kustom made a little 5 watt all tube amp a while back, it was like 100 bucks. I also don't know if they still make it, but the Epiphone Valve Junior was also a cheap deal that sounded pretty alright.

i may have read into it wrong, but i was thinking he was referring to not only the wattage but wanting a decent amount of gain. he may want a MV too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #1173
Will Lane
left an ac30 on his truck

I need something to make my daisy chain one plug longer. I'm at 5 right now, I need 6. Will that mess up anything? Would I be able to make it myself?
"Get up, turn up the mix level and wash your sins away!"

Last edited by Will Lane : 07-21-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Will Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #1174
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-1-spot-adapter

That would work, although you'll have 9 overall. You'll just have to get a few more pedals.

You could also get a socket and two plugs. You just wire them both in parallel and away you go. Not gonna be much cheaper though.
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 AM   #1175
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfist
I have an amp that does not have a headphone output jack, but it does have a line out jack, would that work as a headphone out?

it might work ok, but you won't really have volume control i don't think. it'd be best to run the line out to a mixer and then use the headphone out on the mixer.

-ae

Rate This Thread: