Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
Dam1an1982

Talking Pretty sure my studio is all wrong...

So ive had the same gear set up for years now, and ive finally come to the realization that I believe ive made this whole thing so much harder than it needed to be but I need help from somebody that knows what their talking about. I feel like ive just made a cluster you-know-what for a set up out of ignorance and as ive grown and understood more, im sure now that I can streamline my studio. Just looking for a little clarification. So here's what ive got. (read, take a minute to laugh your head off, and then please help me lol)

My condensor mic, and guitar are fed into channels of my Alesis Multimix 8 usb (old blue one, not the 2.0) Also I have a macbook pro running Logic Pro 9 which runs my midi controller. I have that running from the headphone jack of the mac and into the Line In 5/6 of the Alesis. The Alesis is run via USB into my PC and finally, into Cubase. So I have all of my vocals and instruments running into Cubase. The thing is, I dont use my mixer at all. I use it only to get as much signal as I can into the PC and into cubase and dont touch it again. I use the mixer inside Cubase. I've turned it into an audio interface. Except an audio interface with no midi so I have to run the midi board through a laptop and THEN to the mixer. So im pretty sure ive made things harder than they need to be. What i NEED is help in stream lining all this chaos. lol I've had one very helpful guy tell me "why the f**k are you running all that into your PC when you have a macbook!?!?!" Then decided not to elaborate. lol So obviously I am in dire need of direction here. Somebody please have pity on me and point me in the right direction. lol Do I do away with half of this stuff and just get a real audio interface? Do i cut my PC out completely and try to run everything through the Macbook Pro? If I get an audio interface, how do I run my condensor mic? Do they have Phantom Power? and Do they cost a fortune? lol Any help would be MUCH appreciated and thank you so much for sticking around through my long winded post.
Dam1an1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
chatterbox272

Okay, first take your pick and decide what you want to do your work on, your Macbook or your PC. People will say one is better than the other but it's all bull and you should pick the one YOU would rather use.
Then, I would get a regular audio interface. There is no need for a mixer at all, you do all that in your DAW (Cubase) anyway. Decide how many inputs you need then go for whatever fits your budget best and has the required inputs. If you work out a required number of inputs and a budget we can help with selecting a good interface.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Leather Sleeves

A condensor mic? Good for vocals, not sure about acoustic guitar, but you'll probably want a cardiod for electric. All you really need is the mic into an interface into your computer into a DAW (Cubase or whichever).
Leather Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Sleeves
A condensor mic? Good for vocals, not sure about acoustic guitar, but you'll probably want a cardiod for electric. All you really need is the mic into an interface into your computer into a DAW (Cubase or whichever).

Cardioid is a pickup pattern. You're talking about a dynamic mic.
Condenser > Dynamic for acoustic's (in general, there is always exceptions). As for electric if you're micing an amp in general a dynamic is better (for high gain at least), but you can definitely get good sounds out of a condenser.

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Dam1an1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Decide how many inputs you need then go for whatever fits your budget best and has the required inputs. If you work out a required number of inputs and a budget we can help with selecting a good interface.

Thanks for the response! I only run my condensor mic, my Taylor acoustic electric, and my midi keyboard. Lately i've been recording my Taylor with the condensor instead of running it to the board because it seems to sound better so I probably wouldnt even need an input for that but just incase lets say I need 2 inputs, phantom power for my mic, and some kind of midi input for my keyboard. The only other thing I can think of that I need is some way of using my headphones, and my studio monitors but i would think an interface would have a headset and/or stereo out ports? As far as budget, I would love to stay around the 200 dollar range up to 300 max. Again thanks so much for the response!
Dam1an1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

There are midi to USB converters you can get for pocket change, if you're just using your keyboard. I got one for like $10, but it was just for note input, no pitch wheel or any sort of modulation/fancy knobs. Worked fine, though.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam1an1982
Thanks for the response! I only run my condensor mic, my Taylor acoustic electric, and my midi keyboard. Lately i've been recording my Taylor with the condensor instead of running it to the board because it seems to sound better so I probably wouldnt even need an input for that but just incase lets say I need 2 inputs, phantom power for my mic, and some kind of midi input for my keyboard. The only other thing I can think of that I need is some way of using my headphones, and my studio monitors but i would think an interface would have a headset and/or stereo out ports? As far as budget, I would love to stay around the 200 dollar range up to 300 max. Again thanks so much for the response!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/Saffire 6. Straight from the interfaces sticky and suits all those needs perfectly.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: