Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
ColeFleming

Orange Tiny Terror or Jet City Amplification JCA22H?

Hey guys! I want to buy a new little amp, how ever I'm torn between the 15 watt tiny terror and the 20 watt JCA22H I'm also going to buy a 1x12 cab. (I really like the idea of playing with a mini stack, it just seems appealing to me.)

Now I have a decent pedal board so the amount of gain or effects either amp has isn't going to be a problem for me, how ever what I think might be a problem for me is the amount of volume each individual amp has. I know that live this won't be a problem. (Mic'd any amp is loud). At practice though, It will not be mic'd, and our drummer is rather loud. Also if anybody has any suggestions for a 1x12 cab or even a cheap 2x12 let me know!
ColeFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
ambler3
yes b0ss?

Location? Budget? Genres of music you want to play? Will you need cleans much? Bedroom playing or gigging?

Gain matters completely. If you want good gain, get an amp with decent gain tones. Also, given that you have a pedalboard, you probably want an amp with an FX loop.
I'd suggest a 2x12 cab as it's not too small, or too big either.

A basic answer would be the JCA, maybe stretch to the 50 watt version for more headroom too.
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
ColeFleming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambler3
Location? Budget? Genres of music you want to play? Will you need cleans much? Bedroom playing or gigging?

Gain matters completely. If you want good gain, get an amp with decent gain tones. Also, given that you have a pedalboard, you probably want an amp with an FX loop.
I'd suggest a 2x12 cab as it's not too small, or too big either.

A basic answer would be the JCA, maybe stretch to the 50 watt version for more headroom too.

Hey! I live in West Virginia, I am the guitarist for a rock band called letters ( Letterswv.bandcamp.com) you can hear the type of music we play there. Yes I will need the cleans, but not too much, and I don't like my cleans too clean anyways. plus I can always set the amp a little clean and then punch in my OD pedal for more drive if I need it. I will definitely be gigging with it, but we never play anywhere that mic'd isn't possible. We've been mic'ing our amps since we started haha. But my only problem is will this amp be heard during practice in a garage?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

For classic to hard rock I think the Tiny Terror is great.
For anything heavier I'd go with the JCA.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeFleming
Hey! I live in West Virginia, I am the guitarist for a rock band called letters ( Letterswv.bandcamp.com) you can hear the type of music we play there. Yes I will need the cleans, but not too much, and I don't like my cleans too clean anyways. plus I can always set the amp a little clean and then punch in my OD pedal for more drive if I need it. I will definitely be gigging with it, but we never play anywhere that mic'd isn't possible. We've been mic'ing our amps since we started haha. But my only problem is will this amp be heard during practice in a garage?

22W tube can get LOUD. The cleans could leave the JCA22h out however. It doesnt have a real clean channel. The channel 1 is actually a crunch channel that does cleans with gain turned down, but that also reduces the headroom. You cant get it particularly loud that way. Though I'm not sure its a problem if you mic the thing. I have no idea really about that stuff, I'm just a bedroom player.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusCrisp
For classic to hard rock I think the Tiny Terror is great.
For anything heavier I'd go with the JCA.

+1

the JCA is probably more versatile, too, having two channels. As MaaZeus says, it's not really a clean channel, more a crunch channel and a high gain lead channel, but it's still better than a single channel- plus it has a 3-band eq.

I'm biased because I prefer Jet city, but yeah. Admittedly if you want an orange-type of tone the TT will be better. Or if you just like its tone better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
ColeFleming

So you guys are mostly saying the Jet city is my best bet, but either one of these amps would be loud enough for practice with a band correct?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
ColeFleming

Also is a 1x12 enough? I feel like it definitely should be right?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #9
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Should be enough.
Of course, bigger is better, but yeah, 1x12 will be enough for most applications.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: