Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #4381
ctfod
Your move, creep

Yep, it wasn't derogatory. I like the album, but it is pop dressed up with a few guitars.

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ctfod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #4382
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Well, ok...I guess that makes sense.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #4383
BottleOfSmoke
Sludge Beard

I don't get the pop band thing. They've added elements of pop, sure, but they aren't just a pop band with guitars all of a sudden. I think it's closer to them being a metal band with some pop structures. Look at Ghost - they've got lots of pop elements, but they're not really a "pop band". Idk, maybe we have different definitions of pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
BottleOfSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #4384
jimihendrix6699

yea its definitely not pop dressed up with a few guitars, they're adding pop and all that but its not as drastic as that

couldn't agree more on the taking some growing but after multiple listens i thinks its a pretty good record for mastodon, better than the hunter for sure
jimihendrix6699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #4385
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Nah, that's how I was taking it after ctfod explained. The Hunter was all right; this seems a bit better.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #4386
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker

I'm thinking about getting a ticket to their show. I don't have anyone to go with though. But maybe that's fun for once.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #4387
jimihendrix6699

The motherload and Diamond in the Witch House are probably my favorites
Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #4388
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Well, this is the kind of record only Mastodon fans can really like. It's like Trivium's In Waves; not really an album that metal listeners would enjoy unless they were fans of the band already. Really poppy album with nothing that sticks out and, while it's got some cool riffs, the songs are really repetitive.

Still not a Mastodon release I can like, oh well. And before anyone asks: No, I do not like Mastodon, but due to the amount of hype and buzz this albums has created I decided to check it out.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #4389
BottleOfSmoke
Sludge Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimihendrix6699
The motherload and Diamond in the Witch House are probably my favorites

Title track is my favorite so far. When it just melts into Troy singing "once more round the sun we go againnnnnn..." Is ****ing delicious.

Quote:
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Old 06-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #4390
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker

Just got home from seeing them, they opened with Hearts Alive. Mother****ing Hearts Alive, how epic is that?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #4391
jimihendrix6699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty
Just got home from seeing them, they opened with Hearts Alive. Mother****ing Hearts Alive, how epic is that?

Thats awesome i wish theyd come to stl, i havent seen them since crack the skye
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #4392
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker

Well apparently their current gigs are not a part of the Once More Round The Sun tour, Someone who went to a different concert of theirs told me that apparently they will hit the road again later this year to tour that album. So you'll probably have your chance.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #4393
BottleOfSmoke
Sludge Beard

Asleep in the Deep has been blowing my mind all da, and Halloween is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's weird, all the review I read, while positive, seem to pick on the tracks that throw back to their proggier, sludgier stuff, while semi-lamenting the change in direction. I saw one that called the intros to Aunt Lisa and Halloween boring and reminiscent of arena rock. Like seriously? The Lisa intro sounds like it could've been taken right out of The Last Baron, and the Halloween intro sounds like it could be the start of a missing track from the back half of Blood Mountain. I don't understand how you could simultaneously love and hate different tracks from this record. Also seeing a lot of hate for the Coathangers' brief appearance. I understand that it seems a bit out of place for mastodon, and it isn't exactly subtle, but it sounds GOOD to me. It's a perfect example of trying something new and not overdoing it, letting it stand out on the record and making it memorable.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #4394
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker

It sounds a lot more genuine than The Hunter to me. I don't know, The Hunter definitely has some great tracks and I'm not hating on it whatsoever, but for some reason I really enjoy OMRtS a lot more in its entireity.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #4395
jimihendrix6699

^ the intro riff to aunt lisa turned me off at first because its brent playing it safe. It is boring for mastodon standards. They could take off the intos to a couple songs on the record and it wouldnt be any different if not an improvement.

With that said, once those songs pick up they great especially in the vocal department.

Rate This Thread: