Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Remnest

Pick up recommendation

So i am expecting two new toys from Carvin in a few weeks (a CS6 and a DC4). I want to make the CS6 my guitar for hard rock and metal and the DC4 will be used mainly for Blues/jazz/ol school rock.

Ive been looking at the BKP nailbomb for the CS6 (thinking In Flames, Godsmack, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Tool, Dreamtheater, Fair to Midland to name a few)

Also looking into either TV Jones Powertrons or maybe some PAF-style pup for the DC4 (think Beatles, the who, black crowes, SRV, Jack White, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc). I should also mention the DC will be fitted with a Bigsby B5 vibrato.

I will be playing out of my new toy: the Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII. (ill do a proper NAD thread later when i get home).

Budget ~$300 per set

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Remnest : 01-31-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
The Neighbor of the Beast

Wait until you take possession of the guitars before you start throwing money at them.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
souperman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
Wait until you take possession of the guitars before you start throwing money at them.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Remnest

Agreed except for that fact that my friend already owns a CS6 with the stock carvin pick ups mine will have. the DC4 is essentially the same guitar with an extra cut. So i already know the way they sound.

The stock pups are not bad by any means, but if i had to put my finger on it they are closer to vintage hot pick ups than anything else. The lack the bottom end for heavy metal imo, and while they do relatively well for old school rock they seem rather dull for blues and jazz. Thats why i want to research now b4 i get them so i can set them up with the best possible pick ups.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
punk0mi
Blah Blah Blah...

Can you really go wrong wit a set of EMG 81/85s?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i still reckon it makes more sense to wait until you have the guitar. Just in case. EDIT: ^ yes.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk0mi

Absolutely. I ripped the stock 81/85s from my SG because they were awful in that guitar.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Remnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk0mi

I rather not use active pick ups, especially since that would require creating a cavity for the battery on the guitar.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
Agreed except for that fact that my friend already owns a CS6 with the stock carvin pick ups mine will have. the DC4 is essentially the same guitar with an extra cut. So i already know the way they sound.

The stock pups are not bad by any means, but if i had to put my finger on it they are closer to vintage hot pick ups than anything else. The lack the bottom end for heavy metal imo, and while they do relatively well for old school rock they seem rather dull for blues and jazz. Thats why i want to research now b4 i get them so i can set them up with the best possible pick ups.

I'd spend the money on a boost (w/eq e.g. the Digitech Hardwire) or an EQ (MXR 7 or 10) to get you there instead of pups. After that... I'd prolly look at new tubes before a pup change.

In the whole grand scheme of things, pups are on the bottom of the list of contributors to tone.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

"In the whole grand scheme of things, pups are on the bottom of the list of contributors to tone."

Unless we talk about single coil vs humbucker or active vs passive. They sound pretty different.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
"In the whole grand scheme of things, pups are on the bottom of the list of contributors to tone."

Unless we talk about single coil vs humbucker or active vs passive. They sound pretty different.

True... but we are not
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Remnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
I'd spend the money on a boost (w/eq e.g. the Digitech Hardwire) or an EQ (MXR 7 or 10) to get you there instead of pups. After that... I'd prolly look at new tubes before a pup change.

In the whole grand scheme of things, pups are on the bottom of the list of contributors to tone.

Once again i agree with you, there is a set of new JJs coming this week and i already have a green rhino for boost if need be. I will most certainly play with the guitars as they come. I am merely looking for opinions for the best possible pick ups to get the desired effect. Trust me im not trying to throw money after useless things. I have many reasons to save up for my upcoming research trip to China lol. But it never hurts to get opinions on these matters either.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
I rather not use active pick ups, especially since that would require creating a cavity for the battery on the guitar.
Not actually true.
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/292/4

I like EMG's for live work because they are so noiseless and will drive a piece of wet string. That can be a huge advantage on some stages, especially ones with shitty lighting rigs.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

^ Besides that, I have yet to encounter a guitar that couldn't hold a 9V in its control cavity. Having to route out a control cavity is total BS.

Of course you may want to just for easy access and to keep your cavity less cluttered, but you don't have to by any stretch.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
^ Besides that, I have yet to encounter a guitar that couldn't hold a 9V in its control cavity. Having to route out a control cavity is total BS.

Of course you may want to just for easy access and to keep your cavity less cluttered, but you don't have to by any stretch.

x2. I just wrap the bat in foam and call it a day.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

With mine I use a rechargeable battery so I never have to get into the cavity. I fitted a 3mm phono socket on the back of the guitar where I can plug in a charger. Before the gig I just give it a charge. I've had the same battery in there now for well over 10 years and it's still going strong.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Remnest

Ill keep it under consideration cath.

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
ragingkitty
meow?

More bass and thump? BKP Warpigs.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: