Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Pyrotechie

Where do you keep your original songs?

Kind of abstract title, I apologize. Been binging on caffeine and cigarettes between jams today.

What I'm trying to ask is this: When you have an idea for an original song, what's your method for memorizing it? Do you record a home demo, tab it out in a book, or keep it in your head/play it constantly until you can flourish it in a studio?

The reason why I'm asking is simply out of curiosity about others' methods. I've always kept it in my head/played constantly to keep it fresh. I rarely do home demos because I'm a bad mixer, and a bad mix means a bad sound.
Pyrotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
radio_rebellion

It depends for me. If I come up with a riff or something that I really like, I'll play it constantly and try to drum up some way to use it in a song. But my favorite thing to do is record it on my cell phone and then forget about it. It's really cool to go through some old ideas, find something awesome that you don't remember coming up with, and turn it into a real song. It helps keep songwriting feeling fresh, at least to me.
radio_rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Bdqdog
User Titles are lame.

I have no way to record my stuff, so sometimes I forget some material I write. I should probably start tabbing it out though. I usually just jam whatever I write out for awhile and play it a lot throughout the week. I personally think it would be a good idea to tab it out if it's going to be awhile before you're in the studio. It would also be cool to stumble across one of your old tab books or something when you're older.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If it's just a riff idea, I video myself playing with my phone. Once it evolves beyond that stage it'll be recorded so I'll always have it stored on my DAW.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
azrael4h

I mostly tab it out, because my recordings have been entirely too distorted to make much of them. Methinks a $10 headset is not the best tool for recording.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
KidCanary

I record into my phone and then try to tab it into Guitar Pro.
Most stuff doesn't ever actually get tabbed though. I've got hundreds of recordings that I've never developed into anything.
KidCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Pyrotechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanary
Most stuff doesn't ever actually get tabbed though. I've got hundreds of recordings that I've never developed into anything.

Ahh I forgot about guitar pro!

I used to use this method all the time. But now my rhythm's gone all wacky and chord-y and Pro can't handle it
Pyrotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
burpo

Just "keep it in your head"? Worst idea, ever!
I make sure I have it written down and recorded, even if just on a digital dictophone.
Whenever I've compared the version I "just remembered," it is ALWAYS an inferior, more "stock" version to the one recorded when I had the idea, fresh. Memory tends, in my experience anyway, to round off the corners and dull the edges. Just my two cents.

BTW, a cheap little recorder is just fine for committing sketches/ideas. Portability and spontaneous ease is king.

Last edited by burpo : 03-04-2013 at 02:51 AM.
burpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
orczoz20

if I remember the guitar and I think hey this sounds good.

then the first thing I do is open notepad and scoring. because remember is usually difficult. and if you forget, you can always look up the tab. and sometimes I take the sound on my mobile.
orczoz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Deegoodguy325

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanary

Yep, I do the same. I have a recording app on my phone, then I write the tab on guitar pro. You might end up with a ton of audio and GP files after a while, but at least you'll remember what you've come up with.
Deegoodguy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
hangclean1039

I always record stuff, whether its on my 8 track, or on my phone. I find that I can always remember what notes/chords I played, but if I write something and try to remember it the next day, I'll have no clue what the rhythm was
Fender Classic Player's 60's Strat
Archer SS-90
Alvarez PD90S Acoustic
hangclean1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
MarcFlink

Well i write it down, if there are lyrics at the time ill write them down, or if i only have a melody in my head i'll find the chords and write those down, and then later perhaps find some other way to play it..

I always keep pen and little yellow stickers with me anywhere i go so i can always write it down..

I do usually just record myself on my phone or computer so that i am sure that i can remember the melody, even if i have the chords.. I once forgot the melody for a song and i never remembered it again been recording it ever since (just made a new melody for the song.. it's pretty good now as well xD )
MarcFlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Kyle Sousa

I would say what ever works best for you. I like to record it and write down all the ideas I have for my originals. If you have a smart phone it might be a good idea to down load a simple recording app so every time you have an idea you can record it quickly before you for get it.
Kyle Sousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
mr.retard
wumbology

i tab out every riff and every lyric or lyrical idea. i have a bad memory. i have a notebook but sometimes i'm too lazy too get out my chair so i write and tab a lot on scrape paper around my chair. mostly envelops from my bills and junk mail.

Last edited by mr.retard : 04-23-2013 at 08:24 PM.
mr.retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
JackSaints
Titleless Peasant

I tab stuff I find and record it using audacity and a gutiar cable for good measure (yes, I am aware of how mind-blowingly disgusting those recordings sound)

Then I play it over and over and use it as the start of a piece of music.
JackSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
FistOfMichallin

I keep them anywhere i can, and write them in any way possible at the time.

Don't pussy out, man. Every way is the right way, and doing them all just makes your process that much more potent.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: