Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
wiggedy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodinhtrung97
Tornado of Souls Solo
There u go I recorded this about 4 months ago, so I did improve a little bit since then


That's incredible!

8 months AND self taught?

Do you play any other instruments?



.
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #22
steven seagull
not really a seagull
 
steven seagull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southport, UK
Being able to play one thing on guitar doesn't automatically "entitle" you to be able to play anything else. It's not an MMO where once you reach a certain "level" you can beat any of the lower level enemies without breaking a sweat.

Every piece presents it's own set of challenges, and if in your first few months you perhaps spent a disproportionate amount of time focussing solely on the Tornado on Souls solo then that would have been at the expense of improving your basic skillset - out of interest how long did it take you to learn the solo and get it to that level?
Learning a solo is ultimately little more than an exercise in memorisation, and provided you have the patience and discipline it's quite possible to learn stuff that's strictly speaking ahead of your abilities.

The problem with that is, as I mentioned before, it can take a disproportionate amount of time and during that time because you're focussing so much on that one solo you don't really learn much of anything else. In effect you're expending a lot of effort on learning to play "a solo" rather than learning to play "the guitar", and whilst you may get short term satisfaction from boxing off that solo it's not really the most effective or constructive way to use your time, especially early on in your guitar playing "career".

I don't know if that's that an accurate assumption to make about your progress or not, all I know about your playing is that solo and what you've told us. However it is a very common pitfall these days, new players get too bogged down in trying to impress people and want to be able to do everything "now", forgetting the fact that the things they want to learn weren't written by beginners, but guys who'd been playing for years. So they learn a few party pieces that they upload to YouTube, but never really learn "how to play the guitar".
__________________
Actually called Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.


stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
dodinhtrung97
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggedy
That's incredible!

8 months AND self taught?

Do you play any other instruments?



.

thanks mate
and no I'd never played any instrument nor did I pay any attention in music class before I picked up the guitar theory was and always is godawful to me
dodinhtrung97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
dodinhtrung97
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Being able to play one thing on guitar doesn't automatically "entitle" you to be able to play anything else. It's not an MMO where once you reach a certain "level" you can beat any of the lower level enemies without breaking a sweat.

Every piece presents it's own set of challenges, and if in your first few months you perhaps spent a disproportionate amount of time focussing solely on the Tornado on Souls solo then that would have been at the expense of improving your basic skillset - out of interest how long did it take you to learn the solo and get it to that level?
Learning a solo is ultimately little more than an exercise in memorisation, and provided you have the patience and discipline it's quite possible to learn stuff that's strictly speaking ahead of your abilities.

The problem with that is, as I mentioned before, it can take a disproportionate amount of time and during that time because you're focussing so much on that one solo you don't really learn much of anything else. In effect you're expending a lot of effort on learning to play "a solo" rather than learning to play "the guitar", and whilst you may get short term satisfaction from boxing off that solo it's not really the most effective or constructive way to use your time, especially early on in your guitar playing "career".

I don't know if that's that an accurate assumption to make about your progress or not, all I know about your playing is that solo and what you've told us. However it is a very common pitfall these days, new players get too bogged down in trying to impress people and want to be able to do everything "now", forgetting the fact that the things they want to learn weren't written by beginners, but guys who'd been playing for years. So they learn a few party pieces that they upload to YouTube, but never really learn "how to play the guitar".

Thanks for spending time writing such long paragraphs like that
but I didn't spend time only to practice tornado of souls, it to me was just like, ya know, another song to play. I don't even have such thing as a practice schedule or the like, to me it is more like just play the guitar and improvements come when they want to . It was like "wow that solo sounds cool, lets try to play that" rather than "wow that's solo sounds cool, let's learn guitar so I could play that solo"
And I get what you say up there, what I thought was that I already had enough of the skills required to play the Symphony of Destruction solo, so why was I not able to play it? I obviously already realized that I was wrong though

Last edited by dodinhtrung97 : 07-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.
dodinhtrung97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
 
My Last Words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodinhtrung97
I actually have all the Marty and Becker related stuff already never really cared about Cacophony though, I remember the vocal sounded bad when I first heard the band


Yeah, the vocals are horrible. I'd personally recommend the song Images of their 2nd record Go Off! Pure magic my son.
__________________
baab
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.
 
JimDawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
^ Yeah... the vocals aren't so good. The instrumentals are where it's at.

However, the first time I heard the song Speed Metal Symphony I didn't really like it because it had too many "happy sounds" in it at the beginning; my tastes at the time were pretty much all about thrash and death metal.

After I branched out a bit more, I found SMS to be amazing once I warmed up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words


GSF fo' life!

It's fun to read your posts in Carl Sagan's voice.

/circlejerk

I'm done being off-topic now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I ****ed ereythang up...
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #27
BladeSlinger
UG's Master
 
BladeSlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Okmulgee/Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodinhtrung97
Thanks for spending time writing such long paragraphs like that
but I didn't spend time only to practice tornado of souls, it to me was just like, ya know, another song to play. I don't even have such thing as a practice schedule or the like, to me it is more like just play the guitar and improvements come when they want to . It was like "wow that solo sounds cool, lets try to play that" rather than "wow that's solo sounds cool, let's learn guitar so I could play that solo"
And I get what you say up there, what I thought was that I already had enough of the skills required to play the Symphony of Destruction solo, so why was I not able to play it? I obviously already realized that I was wrong though

As Stephen said, learning one solo doesn't mean you learn a skill set that immediately transfers to other things, especially if you learned the solo with know knowledge of fundamentals. Every skill, in this case playing a musical instrument, has fundamentals. They're the building blocks. Crawl before you can walk, walk before you run, etc. Since everything goes back to these fundamentals, they can improve all playing.

You learn a solo far above your skill level, which is pretty awesome in a lot of ways, but your lack of fundamentals makes it harder to pick up something of the same skill level. You start from square one all over again. You might pick up these skills through extensive playing but if you crack down on the basics for a while then your playing will greatly improve. Little stuff like bending properly and with control, and even and controlled vibrato would be basic skills that would go toward your goal.

I'm mostly self taught with guitar and I never really had the discipline to build myself a solid framework. I can play songs but my overall playing is sloppy and unfocused. When I was in high school band, we drilled on fundamentals all the time because we had a director to keep up focused. I couldn't play flashy things but I was consistent and had decent tone. I'd encounter some All State players who could tear through scales and stuff but couldn't sight read or play in an ensemble. Basic band skills.

This got kind of long. It's great that you can play that solo, but you should focus on more basic skills and become more proficient with those to improve your overall playing. That's pretty much what I'm getting at.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.