User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #5701
Skater901
Doesn't actually skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deHufter
The C# major is a Picardy third. Obviously there's zero E# (or F) in the progression (except the C# major), so you hardly could call it a major. It also resolves on C#m in repetition:

https://soundcloud.com/kurtkill/sound

And since I'm the composer, I meant it like dim's

No that's horribly wrong how dare you compose your music like that! I am offended that you would think such a thing is acceptable! Never defile my ears again with your music!

Even listening to the recording you've done, I still think it sounds resolved on the major chord... I guess that's the point of the picardy third? I dunno, first time I've come across that tbh.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #5702
deHufter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater901
No that's horribly wrong how dare you compose your music like that! I am offended that you would think such a thing is acceptable! Never defile my ears again with your music!

Even listening to the recording you've done, I still think it sounds resolved on the major chord... I guess that's the point of the picardy third? I dunno, first time I've come across that tbh.

Haha

A Picardy third gives a strong resolution since it's more consonant than it's minor equivalent. So yes, it resolves on the major chord, but that doesn't automatically make a piece 'major'. Al the E's in the progression should've given that away.
It also sounds more resolved cause the highest note in the last chord is a C#. If I make the last chord minor (with C# as highest note) it also sounds resolved:

https://soundcloud.com/kurtkill/sound2

But music is not dogmatic. I would've written it in C# minor, to avoid all the accidentals.
If you'd notate this progression as written as in Db major it looks horrible and almost unreadible.

Last edited by deHufter : 04-21-2014 at 11:23 AM.
deHufter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #5703
457undead

E--0
B--0
G--1
D--2
A--2
E--0

Sorry if I didn't answer any before giving my own, I have no idea how some of you get that

Wanna hear some of my music? Click Here!
457undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #5704
deHufter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
E--0
B--0
G--1
D--2
A--2
E--0

Sorry if I didn't answer any before giving my own, I have no idea how some of you get that

E major
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #5705
Skater901
Doesn't actually skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deHufter
Haha

A Picardy third gives a strong resolution since it's more consonant than it's minor equivalent. So yes, it resolves on the major chord, but that doesn't automatically make a piece 'major'. Al the E's in the progression should've given that away.
It also sounds more resolved cause the highest note in the last chord is a C#. If I make the last chord minor (with C# as highest note) it also sounds resolved:

https://soundcloud.com/kurtkill/sound2

But music is not dogmatic. I would've written it in C# minor, to avoid all the accidentals.
If you'd notate this progression as written as in Db major it looks horrible and almost unreadible.

I think you'd still get lots of accidentals in C# minor. A diminished third, a dominant second...

I still find it weird that something can resolve on a major chord and not be in a major key, but ok. I'll think about it haha.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #5706
ChucklesMginty
lol

E--7
B--5
G--5
D--6
A--x
E--x

This is the 2nd chord in Stairway for context... Seeing as it has the descending bass is this some kind of slash chord?
ChucklesMginty is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: