Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #17181
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Does anyone here know of any good resources for writing using an Erhu? I just finished watching The Legend of Korra, and the music in that show is absolutely amazing, and quite a lot of it uses the erhu.

I really like the sound of it and have downloaded a few VSTs to try and get a feel for what I can write for it.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #17182
National_Anthem
Quite the toff

From what I gather of watching videos, violin repertoire seems to lie quite well for the erhu, or at least they manage it very well. If you want to write in your own style, then I would treat it just like a violin. If you want to write something more faithful to chinese folk music, then sorry, but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #17183
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by National_Anthem
From what I gather of watching videos, violin repertoire seems to lie quite well for the erhu, or at least they manage it very well. If you want to write in your own style, then I would treat it just like a violin. If you want to write something more faithful to chinese folk music, then sorry, but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

I'm mostly just using it because I really like the tone, it sounds really smooth and super expressive. I'm going to start studying some of the more traditional uses for it soon, but for now I'm using it similar to a violin. Hopefully I can buy one soon, I really want to play one.

It kind of sucks that the best VST I have for it can only do the slides/glissando in whole step intervals, but I suppose I can make it work. I'll post the piece I'm working on when I get a bit more done, its set for Erhu and Cello.

Rate This Thread: