Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #2041
cha33 armstrong

Bought the secret wars civil war thinking it was a reprint of the 2006 civil war series but it turns out to be a sequel, I then watched a run down of the original civil war on YouTube to understand it and I'm going to continue with it
Old 10-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #2042
jakesmellspoo
UG Monkey

i started Daredevil: Born Again last night. picked it up a few weeks ago at a garage sale/record swap thing with a few issues of Weird Science and Creepy for around $20.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
personally, i like butt
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #2043
Shabalaba

Since I started my PGCE, finding time to read the backlog of comics I've got is proving difficult .

Managed to read Graveyard Shift, Cacophony & Y: The Last Man #2 (the HC version) recently. Currently in the middle of Watchmen, which has made me want to re-watch the film (especially after watching this trailer). I watched it when it came out and wasn't overly fond of it, but that probably stems from me being much younger and expecting something much different. Since I've started the graphic novel I've realised how faithful the portrayal is, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it upon my second viewing.

Batman Eternal pt.3 is arriving some time soon, along with Batman R.I.P. After I've finished off this current crop, I reckon I'll hit some of the more renown and popular standalone graphic novels, just for a bit of a change. Swamp Thing seems like a good start, any other recommendations?

Last edited by Shabalaba : 10-18-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Shabalaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #2044
Banjocal
feck

Really liking Doom's characterisation in SW. After the Marquis of Death arc Doom should have been one-shotting pretty much every single person who faced him and having little to no problem with the likes of Loki, Thor etc. Since that he should be (and has been) a universe-destroyer considering the upgrade it gave him.

I picked up Tomine's Killing and Dying, which looks to be promising. I prefer his earlier work, but so far it's a marked improvement on Shortcomings.

The Surrogates is also hella good.
Banjocal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:24 AM   #2045
Shabalaba

Is there a book preceding Batman RIP? Obviously it's part of one of the comic lines, but I was wondering whether there's anything out which directly precedes it. Either way, it's really poorly packaged up.

Even though comic lines are a continual thing, every novel / book should be able to exist on its own without the need for prior knowledge. The pacing of this book is all off. It's like it's the middle-end of the story, and as such is talking about preceding events without really giving the reader any help. Not to mention the wealth of new characters I've got no idea about, but who are all talked about like they have been in the canon for the past 30 years.

About 2/3 of the way through, but I've just been a tad disappointed that they didn't think to make it a bigger novel and include the start of the story arc.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:33 AM   #2046
BelowTheSun

That's Grant Morrison for you
BelowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #2047
Josh100_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabalaba
Is there a book preceding Batman RIP? Obviously it's part of one of the comic lines, but I was wondering whether there's anything out which directly precedes it. Either way, it's really poorly packaged up.

Even though comic lines are a continual thing, every novel / book should be able to exist on its own without the need for prior knowledge. The pacing of this book is all off. It's like it's the middle-end of the story, and as such is talking about preceding events without really giving the reader any help. Not to mention the wealth of new characters I've got no idea about, but who are all talked about like they have been in the canon for the past 30 years.

About 2/3 of the way through, but I've just been a tad disappointed that they didn't think to make it a bigger novel and include the start of the story arc.

Yup, you're gonna want to read the novel/collection "Batman and Son" first. It's a bit messy but it includes all the stories you're going to need for R.I.P (which I haven't actually read myself yet)
Josh100_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #2048
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Finished Y: The Last Man a while back. Fantastic series. Kind of feels like it rushes towards conclusions at the end but the epilogue made up for it all. Excited to see how the show will be. FX has done some pretty quality stuff in the past so it could go well.

Also continued The Walking Dead with the third compendium. Great but now I have to wait another few years for the fourth compendium to continue it.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #2049
Shabalaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh100_3
Yup, you're gonna want to read the novel/collection "Batman and Son" first. It's a bit messy but it includes all the stories you're going to need for R.I.P (which I haven't actually read myself yet)

Ta for that. I'll pick it up next.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #2050
cha33 armstrong

Just finished the Secret Wars: Civil War arc, I really enjoyed the story and the artwork, would definitely recommend it.

One thing I didn't get was...
show

Last edited by cha33 armstrong : 11-05-2015 at 04:02 PM.
cha33 armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #2051
jakesmellspoo
UG Monkey

so did anyone see the Preacher trailer the other night?

not sure how i feel about it yet. they didn't show much, so i'd rather not get all nitpicky with it just yet.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.

Quote:
personally, i like butt
Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #2052
RajjaJroach

Hey so I just saw the film 'Watchmen' and have never read the comic or any others before. I was wondering, since the film ends with the newspaper writers discovering Rorschach's journal, does this then expose Veidt's plan and now re-doom the world to nuclear disaster?
RajjaJroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #2053
Shabalaba

I've yet to finish the comic tbh. It's on my massive to do list . I'm just over half way through. The film is pretty faithful to the source material, so I wouldn't think they elaborate on it any further in the comics (unless someone in here says otherwise ). In theory, suppose so yes. Although you might also presume that they would have found some middle ground on the issues causing the tension, bringing them back from the brink for the time being.

I just finished Batman Eternal 3. Given that they finished off the arc, I'm guessing that's the end of that line? Thoroughly enjoyed it though. It meandered a tad in places and the ending seemed a little, underwhelming maybe? It wasn't bad or anything, I just think that what came before suggested something bigger. Although I guess that's the point. Will definitely read through it again at some point.

Injustice Year 3 vol 1 next. Then, I might pick up the next part of Y The Last Man.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #2054
Shredx
Inuendo King

Just bought the Killing Joke and the whole tie in set for Death of the Family

100% finding it a lot easier getting into the Batman comics than anything else (despite my love for marvel)

https://benpinkusmusic.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-sky

Gear:
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Schecter C7 Blackjack
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Bugera 333XL
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Shredx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #2055
jakesmellspoo
UG Monkey

haven't read the comic yet (need to finish Sandman first anyway), but the Lucifer premiere was pretty entertaining.

Quote:
personally, i like butt

Rate This Thread: