User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
A necrobump: Why do you hate Sor's music, Sleepy__Head?

It was a great read, Hydra.

Yeah I've not posted for ****ing ages. Apparently I'm dead, or something like that. Certainly felt like it for a while. Work, man, work is busy, and I've been writing some prog-related shit that got completely out of control, and trying to find time to practice and learn Spanish as well. And also see my wife occasionally. Sooo that's all completely off-topic.

As for why I hate el music de Fernando Sor that's a long story but the brief version is that I learned classical guitar for 5 years or so and decided I'd do exams rather than just play for pleasure because at the time I thought I might give teaching a go (I was a total and abject failure at that). Anyway ABRSM exams require that you learn pieces a) from a set list; b) from different periods, so I became, um, extremely well acquainted with the music of Messrs Mauro Giuliani and Fernando Sor because they were often on the syllabus and I was doing exams at the rate of about 1 a year (which meant ditching everything I'd learned the previous year & learning a new set of pieces). And honestly? They really weren't my cup of tea. I mean I get that professional musicians should have an appreciation of the music of different periods and should make an effort to learn about music but although I started off liking them by the end of 7 years of getting (eventually) to grade 8 standard I just couldn't ****ing stand their music any more. It's probably a case of over-exposure, coupled with the fact that although I love classical (small 'c') music I'm just not mad keen on the Classical (large 'C') period because it always seems entirely twee to my ears. Hell, I don't even like Mozart much and I've tried, oh God believe me I've tried. I know it's the nearest thing to heresy in the classical music world but I really don't get on with it. Give me Early thru Baroque music, and Romantic thru Modern music and I'm happy as Larry, but I run like a Kenyan on speed from Classical period stuff.

So - even briefer version - I found his music to have a superficial charm, but playing it for hours on end did my head in. I wouldn't claim that's an objective assessment of any kind. In the end lots of choices about music end up as debates along the lines of "But why don't you like bubblegum flavour ice-cream?". You're either going to like it or you're not, and in my case the answer is 'Not'.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Hydra, where's your references???

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Sleepy__Head, I see what you mean. I, at times, have thought that the worst thing you could do if you like a particular piece, or song (that is, if it's challenging enough that you have to practice it and listen to it a lot), is learn it. So I've considered avoiding trying to learn my favorite pieces.

BTW, I, too, prefer to listen to classical music that isn't from the Classical period for the most part.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Hydra, where's your references???

Where are your references???????
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #25
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
Sleepy__Head, I see what you mean. I, at times, have thought that the worst thing you could do if you like a particular piece, or song (that is, if it's challenging enough that you have to practice it and listen to it a lot), is learn it. So I've considered avoiding trying to learn my favorite pieces.

Woah! Steady on there! My favourite pieces are a different matter. I think the problem I had with practicing Sor a lot was that I was ambiguous about his music to begin with and the hours of practice just clarified my opinion. The same's true of my favourite pieces though - I still love Tarréga, Brouwer and Dyens' music and I played that stuff for hour after hour. (In fact if you fancy a challenge try the first movement of Dyens' Libra Sonatine. It has awkward fingerings, catch-you-out time signature changes, and just plain difficult passages - it's a right bugger of a piece).

The thing I'm trying to emphasize is that if you're not sure about something try playing it for a few hours because that will make your mind up. Don't avoid learning your favourite pieces, throw yourself into them. If it kills the piece for you well maybe you didn't love it so much after all. Pieces are like relationships: You don't find out unless you try. And sometimes you fail. But that's OK - there are more people out there than one person could ever meet to in one lifetime. And there's also more music out there than one person can listen to in one lifetime. So when you fail pick yourself up and go find a new favourite piece. Broken hearts can be difficult to mend; irritation with a piece is much easier to deal with

Besides: Music's a journey of exploration. Why sit by the campfire when you could be cutting your own path through the jungle?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #26
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Where are your references???????

Yeah!!!!!

And where are my references???????????????????????????????????????? ?

Um. Did I misunderstood the assignment?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Woah! Steady on there! My favourite pieces are a different matter. I think the problem I had with practicing Sor a lot was that I was ambiguous about his music to begin with and the hours of practice just clarified my opinion. The same's true of my favourite pieces though - I still love Tarréga, Brouwer and Dyens' music and I played that stuff for hour after hour. (In fact if you fancy a challenge try the first movement of Dyens' Libra Sonatine. It has awkward fingerings, catch-you-out time signature changes, and just plain difficult passages - it's a right bugger of a piece).

The thing I'm trying to emphasize is that if you're not sure about something try playing it for a few hours because that will make your mind up. Don't avoid learning your favourite pieces, throw yourself into them. If it kills the piece for you well maybe you didn't love it so much after all. Pieces are like relationships: You don't find out unless you try. And sometimes you fail. But that's OK - there are more people out there than one person could ever meet to in one lifetime. And there's also more music out there than one person can listen to in one lifetime. So when you fail pick yourself up and go find a new favourite piece. Broken hearts can be difficult to mend; irritation with a piece is much easier to deal with

Besides: Music's a journey of exploration. Why sit by the campfire when you could be cutting your own path through the jungle?

Oh I wasn't saying Sor was one of your favorites. I was talking more from a personal point of view: a couple of months back started learning Communication Breakdown by Led Zep, for example. I loved the song, but eventually after going over that solo a billion times, I had to take a break and couldn't even listen to the song attentively for a few weeks until I regained interest in it. Same happened in the past when I was trying to play Necrophagist and Cacophony. Never really regained interest in Necrophagist, but I've regained interest in Cacophony since.

But I see what you're saying. Maybe I just wasn't that much into Necrophagist musically as I thought I was back then (I still respect the skills they have, though, but maybe musically they're just not for me). Haven't played any Dyens or Tarrega yet, but I've played Brouwer and it is still a lot of fun to play and listen to. So you're probably right, better not to avoid and just takes things slowly and take breaks in order to avoid burnout.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: