Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
calnix

Reamping with loop pedal?

So I recently discovered the genius idea of reamping. Before I go out and drop $200 on a reamp box, I'm wondering if its possible for me to ascertain the same result using a Boss RC-20XL loop pedal.

I would place the loop pedal at the beginning of my fx chain and record the dry guitar signal, which continues on through the rest of my pedals and through the amp allowing me to hear the full sound. The signal would then be saved on the pedal and I would just let it continue to loop while I tweak with mic placement and amp EQ.

Also, I use a firestudio project. Could I take a recording on Cakewalk or whatever, and use the headphone out of the interface into the loop pedal, which would continue through the amp?

Now in theory, this will work fine I'm pretty sure, however I just wanna make sure it won't be damage anything when I output from the headphone jack on the interface to the loop station and then through the amp. Will there be any impedance mismatches or anything of the sort?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
chronowarp

You can buy a Radial DI and run it in reverse. Here's the thing...
your guitar signal in a high impedance, unbalanced signal. You run it into a di box, then into your mixer, or into the "instrument" input on your mixer then it converts it to a low impedance, balanced signal.

So...if you want the sound to function how's its supposed to...then you need to take that low imped. balanced signal at line level, and turn it back into something the amp wants to see...an unbalanced high imped signal that's not line level.

I have a feeling if you just shoot a 1/4'' out of your headphone jack and run it into the amp, you aren't going to get the result you want. It's probably going to cause the amp to shit itself and overdrive like crazy when it's not meant to.

Di boxes are way cheaper than reampers...and a reamp is basically just a DI in reverse...so try that route.

Last edited by chronowarp : 01-27-2013 at 09:23 PM.
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
calnix

Great, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much trying to avoid dishing out the $$$ on a reamp if I can recreate the same effect using some of the equipment I have.

So I can't go from the balanced outputs of the FireStudio into the amp due to an impedance mismatch...what about if I output the signal from the interface to a Boss/Korg mutli-effects pedal's input (such as a GT-8 or ME-50)? Will that 'fix' the impedance mismatch?

I have a Boss TU-3 chromatic tuner stompbox, which has a bypass output. So would it be feasible for me to place the tuner first in my FX chain, send the output from the bypass direct in to a line-in on the FireStudio, and through the rest of my FX to my amp?

Then for the actual reamping, could I output from the interface (balanced stereo out) to the Boss FX board, through my series of pedals and output at the amp?

I messed with this earlier and there wasn't any kind of screech or distorted noise coming from the amp as I read would happen if there were an impedance problem, however I'm not entirely sure that the signal being sent through the Boss board to the amp is a 'true' output signal (if that makes any sense).

I also want to be sure that I'm not harming any equipment. Thanks a lot again.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnix
Great, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much trying to avoid dishing out the $$$ on a reamp if I can recreate the same effect using some of the equipment I have.

I don't blame you, but chances are, you don't have the right gear if you asking this.

Quote:
So I can't go from the balanced outputs of the FireStudio into the amp due to an impedance mismatch...what about if I output the signal from the interface to a Boss/Korg mutli-effects pedal's input (such as a GT-8 or ME-50)? Will that 'fix' the impedance mismatch?

I have a Boss TU-3 chromatic tuner stompbox, which has a bypass output. So would it be feasible for me to place the tuner first in my FX chain, send the output from the bypass direct in to a line-in on the FireStudio, and through the rest of my FX to my amp?

Then for the actual reamping, could I output from the interface (balanced stereo out) to the Boss FX board, through my series of pedals and output at the amp?

To answer all of these, you have to look at "what is this device expecting to 'see' at the input, and 'give' at the output?"

[interface] - gives line level - [amp] - expects to see instrument level.
[interface] - gives line level - [FX device/pedal] - expects to see instrument level, outputs instrument level.
[interface] - gives line level - [tuner] - expects to see instrument level, outputs instrument level.

See, the only thing you're changing is who sees the impedance mismatch and where it will be found.

What you want is:
[interface] - gives line level - [reamp box] excpects to see line level, outputs instrument level.

Quote:
I messed with this earlier and there wasn't any kind of screech or distorted noise coming from the amp as I read would happen if there were an impedance problem, however I'm not entirely sure that the signal being sent through the Boss board to the amp is a 'true' output signal (if that makes any sense).

I also want to be sure that I'm not harming any equipment. Thanks a lot again.

I'm not so sure you'd actually damage anything, so long as you kept the output from the interface moderate.

You might even find that some of these might even give you half-way decent results - particularly using a DI box in reverse.

What is most likely to happen is any or all of the following:
-noise - either hissing (impedance issues), or humming (ie. grounding issues) - on clean tones
-distorted tones - things like pinch harmonics and whammy-bar squeals (anything that really requires a lot of gain) might not "speak" the way you want them to.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: