Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
fatgoogle
Needs of cheese

Id check your current rig first. If a 700 watt amp through a 4x10 isnt loud enough, either somethings broken, your not using speaker cables or you have no idea how to use an EQ.

Here's a few things to try out.

First when listening to your amp, what sounds good when your on your own will generally not cut through in a band setting. Get right down and listen to the speakers when your with your band. Walk 10 foot away and listen again.

Begin with the eq flat and go from there. Only really small adjustments. For instance when im practicing, the bass and treble go up quite high, but when performing i cut the bass a lot and boost some low mids to help sit in the mix.

Have you tried getting your drummer to play lighter. When your rehearsing nothing should be loud. If you have ringing ears when you leave a rehearsal you were playing too loud and thats dangerous. Get everyone to tun down.

Defiantly check your rig first. If you cant make a 4x10 and a 700 watt head(well about 400 watts with the 4x10) then i cant imagine other bits of gear working better.
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
fatgoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
Reddaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgoogle
Have you tried getting your drummer to play lighter. When your rehearsing nothing should be loud. If you have ringing ears when you leave a rehearsal you were playing too loud and thats dangerous. Get everyone to tun down.

I take it you've never played in a metal band? EVERYTHING is loud, especially the drummer! Don't worry, most of us use ear plugs at all times.

Seriously though; I use Speakon cables (despite a jack-jack being equally as effective),
It's never been loud enough from new when nothing was broken,
I've tried every conceivable EQ setting over the past couple years with this amp; flat, bypassing the EQ channel, tiny adjustments, outlandish variations, and the only way I'm remotely audible in the band mix is cutting all my Lows and Low-Mids so that it sounds like a fart. Otherwise the speaker clips when I'm playing and I have to turn down the volume to bedroom levels.
This is also true when I use the 1X15 cab with and without the 4X10 cab.

A replacement rig is the only solution!
MXR EVH Phase 90//Black Label Chorus
Peavey 6505 Head//Crate G412SL 4X12 Cab

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Peavey Tour 700 Head//410 TVX 4X10 Cab
Hear My Band
Reddaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
fatgoogle
Needs of cheese

Your cutting the low-mids to make yourself audible???? thats crazy, mids cut through the mix. Make sure the contour is completely of, those things in general boost lows and highs and cut mids.

"It's never been loud enough from new when nothing was broken, "

Are you saying its now broken?

And yes i have been in metal bands in my recent youth. And yes turning everything down so you can hear everything clearly, hear all those mistakes etc. We were able to hear ourselves talk to each other to make sure of changes and whatnot.

EDIT: just did some quick googling came across this http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/sho...our-700w/cat/25

Im also seeing stuff about the Triac Resistor that if removed sorts out a lot of problems.

I used to have BTB 775 and seriously boosting the mids on that thing a tad could knock a tank over. One of the most powerful preamps ive ever used.
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul

Last edited by fatgoogle : 05-16-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgoogle
Your cutting the low-mids to make yourself audible???? thats crazy, mids cut through the mix. Make sure the contour is completely of, those things in general boost lows and highs and cut mids.

"It's never been loud enough from new when nothing was broken, "

Are you saying its now broken?

And yes i have been in metal bands in my recent youth. And yes turning everything down so you can hear everything clearly, hear all those mistakes etc. We were able to hear ourselves talk to each other to make sure of changes and whatnot.

EDIT: just did some quick googling came across this http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/sho...our-700w/cat/25

Im also seeing stuff about the Triac Resistor that if removed sorts out a lot of problems.

I used to have BTB 775 and seriously boosting the mids on that thing a tad could knock a tank over. One of the most powerful preamps ive ever used.

BTB's preamps can be quite harsh, i give you that!

If evetybody is using earplugs, wouldn't it be better to just turn down? Sorry if it isn't like that, it's just that to me, it makes no sense

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
Reddaz

I know it's crazy! But that's the only way I can turn the pre/post gain loud enough to be heard without the cabs speakers clipping and distorting horribly. I've tried the contour at all levels, it's a very minor factor in the overall problem.

Yes it's now completely died last night from 2 years of playing at its volume limit and "red lighting" for the majority of playing time during a practice/set.

We tend to turn ourselves up to hear everything clearly! Otherwise nothing is audible above the drums. With earplugs we have to use the mics through the PA to communicate anyway.

Hmm might have a look and see if that Triac Resistor is causing the problem before I take it to a local tech. Thanks for that link dude.

I would like to point out that I have been leaning to thinking it's the cab which can't accept the wattage of the head and I'm inclined to replace the cab rather than the head (once the heads fixed!)

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Reddaz

I'd much rather turn down if it was a viable option, but drummers don't have a master volume!
We kind of use ear plugs more as a precaution, our guitarist got tinnitus watching a gig in our teens and couldn't get rid of most of the ringing for over a year. Sod having that for life!

And before anyone asks, no the drummer isn't miced up, his kits just expensive and loud.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Old 05-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #27
fatgoogle
Needs of cheese

I never understand drummers, they need to learn about dynamics and how to hit there kit properly so they dont need to play loud to get a good sound.

Ive noticed the best drummers enjoy and put as much effort into playing a shaker or tambourine etc etc as they do with their Steve Gadd licks.

Sorry off-topic.
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
Reddaz

Don't get me wrong, our drummer can play soft for clean/quite parts, but they're few and far between in our music. However I don't think I've ever seen a metal drummer tickle their kit for a whole gig and thought to my self "Wow they had a good sound!".

I find it ironic that you're complaining about hard hitting drummers, yet your avatar is of a band who's drummer is renowned and praised for that exact style of playing!

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band

Rate This Thread: