Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Rainmaker31

Pinch Harmonics in the mix

Hey everyone.

I'm having a big problem playing pinch harmonics. I've looked up all kinds of advice. Problem is, all I can find is "hold your pick so very little of it is sticking out". That's great for playing a harmonic all by its own, which I can manage fine. But it completely messes me up when I'm trying to play a passage that includes it in the middle of other stuff! (a lot of Children of Bodom rhythm tracks have this)

It's impossible for me to play the heavy riffage with so little of the pick sticking out.

What I still don't get is, do you guys actually change the grip very quickly, or do you actually manage to play the rest of the passage with this grip?

How should I go about trying this?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker31
Hey everyone.

I'm having a big problem playing pinch harmonics. I've looked up all kinds of advice. Problem is, all I can find is "hold your pick so very little of it is sticking out". That's great for playing a harmonic all by its own, which I can manage fine. But it completely messes me up when I'm trying to play a passage that includes it in the middle of other stuff! (a lot of Children of Bodom rhythm tracks have this)

It's impossible for me to play the heavy riffage with so little of the pick sticking out.

What I still don't get is, do you guys actually change the grip very quickly, or do you actually manage to play the rest of the passage with this grip?

How should I go about trying this?

Thanks!

i just keep a choked up grip on the pick its not so much that very little is sticking out its just enough where you can flip your thumb to touch the string immediately after you hit it with your pick. also they are a few different spots on the guitar where you can hit the pinch per string just go slow and play with it you will find the harmonics eventually.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
lisk

As far as I can tell, I use the same grip whether I'm playing pinch harmonics or playing normal notes. I had the same problem as you when I was learning them, though--I could play the harmonics relatively consistently, but with a different grip than my normal grip. I think after a while, it became natural to do them with my regular grip.
lisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: