Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #261
killerbunny11
Banned

Thanks a lot.
killerbunny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #262
LazyCash34.com
Banned

*removed*
LazyCash34.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #263
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivate
It would also be better to keep your electric guitar away from the vents. Even an electric guitar can go wonky if it's too close to a heat vent.

good thing my guitars are on the othside of the room. Maine winters are f*cking harsh.
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #264
J2G
UG Member

I live in Cali, I just got an acoustic... I typically sleep with the fan on. I'm guessing I should get a humidifier?
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #265
Lord Kamina
Not an engineer

Okay so a question I've just been fiddling with on my mind... what do most people here use for heating in the winter? I was pretty scared considering my room is a ****ing freezer (it's generally colder in my room than outside the house) and thus I tend to use a lot of heating when I stay up late at night in winter.

So I was afraid of something happening to my guitar... but then I remembered something: In Chile what's most common now is Kerosene, which actually adds humidity to the air.
Lord Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #266
indyhippychick

I don't have cases for any of my guitars... my bad. lol I hang them on my wall. No humidifier but wouldn't burning a pan of water every now and then work in my situation?
indyhippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #267
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

No, that really won't do anything long term because the humidity disperses into the surrounding atmosphere. Your house is not a tight seal.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #268
mkocian17

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyhippychick
I don't have cases for any of my guitars... my bad. lol I hang them on my wall. No humidifier but wouldn't burning a pan of water every now and then work in my situation?

you could just get a room humidifier and turn that room into one giant guitar case.

BACON!!! U KNOW U WANT IT!!!
mkocian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #269
DeadlySurfer

My room varies a little, but it's around 70% at 18c. I'm assuming this isn't too bad, as the whole "cold air can hold less water" deal?
DeadlySurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #270
captivate

70% is much higher than recommended. I would suggest using a dehumidifier. 40-60% is ideal. Anything higher and your guitar starts to get a little bloated and could start bulging.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #271
DeadlySurfer

Quote:
70% is much higher than recommended. I would suggest using a dehumidifier. 40-60% is ideal. Anything higher and your guitar starts to get a little bloated and could start bulging.

My problem is, cold air hold less moisture, right? So I understand 40-60% is ideal at 24c, but I'm yet to find a table that tells me humidity at different temperatures. For instance, 40% humidity at 40c would be way over what you want, I'd have thought.
DeadlySurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #272
ChaseCarrell
ChaseCarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
I love you for this. In a non homo way.

Completely agree with this point
ChaseCarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #273
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

I havent thought much about humidity. My acoustic has laminated nato back and sides with a laminated spruce top. neck is nato and the fretboard is rosewood. since its all lam do i need to worry? i know what the first post says, im just making sure i read it right.

FenderBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #274
captivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
I havent thought much about humidity. My acoustic has laminated nato back and sides with a laminated spruce top. neck is nato and the fretboard is rosewood. since its all lam do i need to worry? i know what the first post says, im just making sure i read it right.

For a laminate guitar, it's not really necessary.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #275
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
For a laminate guitar, it's not really necessary.

OK thank you

FenderBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #276
MasterGuitar126

I live in Arkansas and usually have the heat on in the summer. Yes, a wood furnace. Although, my room is farthest from the furnace, I prefer the cold, will I still be needing a humidifier?
MasterGuitar126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #277
Harp_mad

UK

Hi.
I'm surfin around, like you do, and came across a "How to care for your guitar" Tube.
"Don't leave 'em leaning against a wall and consider using a humidifyer"
Well that's just where I leave them except my Strat which lays in it's flight case in a spare bedroom, but the 3 flat top boxes, they's just lying around - what's all this about "drying out" or "getting too wet"
Worried now, the search for information became, well, a bit frought...
Too dry and they can crack - too wet and they groooowws. 'Kin 'ell. Flashes into the garage for a straight edge and, worst fears are confirmed, the backs and the tops are not flat - my harps are too wet, ohhhhh nooooo. Palpitations now, more searching, and here I am now, at the end of this very informative thread but still not really knowing what to do, so help please.
I live in the Manche Penninsular, Normandy, France, where we have hot sunny days between July 31 and 1st August. The rest of the time when it's not wet, it's cold and wet.
My babies:
1 Fender Classic. Bottom'ish of the range 17yrs old. Stands in the corner of a little used bedroom in the polystyrene flexy bag it came in. Probably not a solid top.
2 Yamaha dreddy. Stands in the corner in the lounge, nude. 25-30yrs old, may be a solid top, must check now.
3 Vintage electro-acoustic, stands in the corner of my office in it's gig-bag. 4 yrs old, solid top and most regularly played both home and away.
4 Fender Squier Strat (Jap) 30+yrs, in it's case, doesn't appear affected, phew...
The worst affected is the Vintage, followed by the Yam then the Classic. Bridges lifting and backs bowed (does this sound frantic or what).
They are all playable but obviously not at good as they could be, so what to do?
I thought: take the tension off the strings, put them in solid cases (which will be very soon in arriving) and store them in one of the bedrooms which has only minimal heating during winter months.
Would this be the thing to do?
Harp_mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #278
giacogiacogiaco
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QET7M2wd3Uk
giacogiacogiaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #279
originalfuzz

I did a full blog post on this recently: http://www.originalfuzz.com/blogs/f...afe-this-winter

There are some really simple ways to keep your guitar safe though:

1. Always keep your guitars in a case. Unless you're really vigilant about the humidity of the room, they're much safer in the case.

2. Bring your guitar into the bathroom when you shower. When you're traveling or if you don't have a humidifier handy, bring your guitar into the bathroom with you each day when you shower. It's ok if the guitar gets a little moisture on it. When you're done showering take it right to the case. Don't let it sit out and dry.

3. Use a simple guitar humidifier. There's no need to buy a fancy humidifier for the room. You can get a cheap guitar humidifier. If you really care about your instrument this is essential. These days I use a Planet Waves Humdipack. It's really great because it uses a chemical system to maintain an ideal 45% humidity inside your case. You just put one pouch in the sound hole and one under the headstock. There's no dripping or anything to clean up. It adds moisture or absorbs it to keep the case at a constant 45% humidity level. In the past I've also used a Dampit. It's super simple; you just add water when it dries out and it slides into the body of the guitar.

4. Play it regularly! Guitars want to be played. The best way to keep 'em sounding good is to do with it what God intended. Play it.

Any humidifiers or home-brewed tips that I should know?
originalfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #280
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

Hey guys.
Regarding case humidifiers, I am wondering if a case humidifier kept at the headstock is enough to humidify the entire case? The cover of my case is cushioned and it gently pressed on the top of my guitar and I worry it might present a trouble for humid air to reach the soundhole, and I've left a hygrometer at the soundhole, and it read 45% for 2 days straight, while RH increased to even 60% at the headstock, so I suppose that a case humidifier will only benefit my neck and fretboard.
How do case humidifiers work for you, is it normal that humidity is not uniform throughout the case using only a humidifier at the headstock?

Answers would be appreciated

Last edited by Guodlca : 04-06-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Guodlca is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: