Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #6481
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
is that any less ridiculous than solipsism itself

Generally (I guess), solipsism is like the "basic" skepticism proposal to counter other arguments (for instance ones about empirism and whatnot). But when people use it, it's just as a thought experiment, like "Oh well, maybe reality doesn't exist and my brain is fabricating all of it!".

In those cases, solipsism makes it seem like solipsism is the theory with the least suppositions about reality, in contrast with whatever theory it's being talked about.
However, based on the above, solipsism implies new assumptions about reality (and the brain of the entity), which are even more ridiculous than whatever the other theory (empirism or others) is assuming.
show

So in that aspect, solipsism fails as a counter-argument for those theories, so using it in those instances is invalid.
And other than using it as a counter-argument for those kind of suppositions, I don't see anybody using solipsism at all. So.....it kind of makes it pointless
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: