Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
FlightofIcarus

Strat vs Tele (For my needs)

Hey all,

So, I actually already own a strat - A 90's MIJ squier HSH. But I plan on selling it. It needs some fret work, and a full pickup swap to do what I want it to, since I've decided I want a guitar with classic single coil tones, and I'll just use my 'bucker equipped guitars for those tones. I'm actually not too crazy about the particular neck that's on it anyway either. So I figured FWIW, finding another guitar is gonna be the more logical route than how much $ it'd cost me to modify/fix this one (I don't want to turn an old MIJ into a franken-caster. Ain't right IMO!)

That being said, I'm trying to decide if a strat or tele is better for what I'm after. I'm after good tones for rockabilly/psychobilly, surf, and early punk. Some people tell me the tele is too twangy for surf, but better for the rockabilly stuff. Anyone want to elaborate, or would either one work? Thanks!
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Want a hot tele without the compressy twang? G&L ASAT Special. If you're on a budget, get a Tribute model on ebay for $350. One of the best guitar values around, hands down. It's all the best of a Telecaster and the best of a Jazzmaster in one guitar.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
SteveHOC
Used Register

The Tele is definitely a good option, though I can't speak for G&L. I'm not sure about too much twang for surf, seems like rolling your tone back slightly and adjusting your picking techniques would take care of that. As for punk and rockabilly, I like the Tele more for those genres too.

What's your budget, location, and are you looking for new or used?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

2 guitars I think you should consider are:

Fender Cabronita Tele: loaded with 2 Fidelitron pickups, which are Filtertron-type pickups. Although they are humbuckers, they give you a nice twang, chime and bite, something like a good mix of a humbucker and a singlecoil. Rockabilly tones to me are mostly made by Filtertrons. They are also popular in punk and work very well for rock too (e.g. Malcolm Young).

Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet/Double Jet: Again Filtertron-loaded, with or without Bigsby if you like to have one, and pretty much one of THE classic rock and rockabilly guitars.

But if you want actual singlecoils you better look at Teles, the G&L Tribute ASAT Special that JustRooster recommended for example will probably do fine, he knows Fender-style guitars.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

JustRooster is right on- if you don't want to go Fender for your Tele, look at G&L.

If you want something a little different, though, check these Reverends out:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/club-king-rt/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/flatroc/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/buckshot/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-rt/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/tricky-gomez/

Any of those should handle the job, with the RevTrons delivering a slightly hotter version of the FillerTron sound.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-09-2013 at 12:03 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
FlightofIcarus

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone!

From the sound of things, it sounds like a guitar w/Fillertrons in it is the popular choice for rockabilly tones. I think for this guitar, however, I am definitely after the single coil sound. I'm actually after some fairly twangy, bright tone. Main reason I ask if the tele has too much twang though, is because when I think of surf tone, the first thing I think of is a strat (Albeit, w/a lot of reverb, and effects like tremolo). But typically, both use single coil pickups too.

JustRooster - Only question I have about that G&L (a general one really) is about the oversized singe coils. Are they sort of like a P90, but more single-coil style? How do they differ from regular singles, and how is the selection of aftermarket pickup options for them?

SteveHOC - Looking in the range of $300-$500-ish, doesn't matter if it's new or used. I'm within the Seattle area.

dannyalcatraz - I have no issues going w/a G&L or a Fender. From what I've heard from others, G&L is a bit less accessible if buying new (less stores carry em), but that overall, they usually offer a bit more bang for the buck, and features that are less common in Fenders? I've heard QC is a bit better w/the G&L's too.
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

In terms of bang for the buck on a quality Strat style guitar, Godin is actually my preferred brand. Carvin is another brand that delivers Fender or better style quality at a given price.

Fret-King and G&L are more similar in price to Fenders- thus, not quite delivering the kind of bargain Godin or Carvin can- but I find G&L and Fret-King to feel better to me. In terms of overall quality, G&L is probably the best "Strat" and "Tele" maker in the market before going to full custom guitars.

Maybe the only challenger to that title that I can come up with would be US Masters, whose LeGrand is damn good, but they're also pricey, starting between $1400-1900, depending on model.

And then there are dark horse "Strat" makers like Fernandes, whose Revolver, Classic Revolver and Retrorocket are quite well made- either MiK or MiJ, depending on precise model- and offer unique features like the Sustainer pickup.

All that said, I'm not sure anyone offers as many varietiesof Strats & Teles as Fender, and nobody else's guitars hold value in the resale market like theirs do.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
dragorage67

Get a Reverend guitar
dragorage67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: