Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Metal Turtle

Question Gibson Explorer?

hello everyone,

I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to buy a Gibson Explorer? I play Thrash Metal (mostly 80's Thrash) I've never actually played one in my life but it looks cool. I play a GAX70 GIO Ibanez with Seymour Duncan pick ups and wanted to swap them to an Explorer. With this improve my sound?

-MT
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
SteveHOC
Used Register

There's no good way to answer this. If you've never played one, than you can't know if it's a good idea to get one, and if you can't know if it's a good idea, then neither can we. Don't buy a guitar based on looks. That's the best advice I can offer. You might hate the feel, and that would be a bummer for you.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
randywolf244
resident arrogant

i agree you should go to a shop and play one first. i used to have a gibson les paul custom. beautiful guitar and looked so sick... too bad i hated it, it was so uncomfortable, the body body dug into me, the neck just felt wrong. i ended up selling it at a huge loss. since then i always tell people try before you buy. its relly not worth having a really cool looking peice of furniture in your room.
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Pretty much anything would be better than an Ibanez GIO.

Explorer's are pretty cool guitars. If you like that Gibson sound and feel, but want something with a crazy shape and Explorer might be a good idea. I would suggest playing one before you buy anything. Just because it looks cool and you think you "might" like it, that doesn't mean that you really will.

One negative thing I can say about the Explorer's (or any weird shape guitar really) is that they can be a little unbalanced and/or neck heavy sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Not a Les Paul

Explorers are definitely neck heavy, but within the first week or so of owning and playing one, you will automatically adjust your posture to compensate. My arm naturally rests on the back horn to keep it from nose diving. Getting a strap with a large surface area and grippy material helps too.

I do suggest playing one first, just to make sure the body isn't going to be completely terrible to deal with. I love Explorers, you get a very distinctive "this is badass" feel playing one.
Schecter Omen 6 w/EMG 81X/85X
Aria Les Paul w/EMG 81/85 ZW
Ovation Celebrity CC-44
Blackstar HT Club 40 w/4x10 cab
Not a Les Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
l3p4rd
ponx

It would for sure fit the genre of music you play both sound wise and style wise. But you might not like the neck or sound as a personal preference. It would be worth looking into in your case. A cool thing about thrash is it's so in between a modern gain sound and a classic punk rock sound that you can get away with using virtually any guitar with it, so it's really all preference in the feel and what you personally want to hear coming out of your amp.
Gretsch G5120
l3p4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Ippon
Amped

It's a very attractive (may be good or bad) guitar! I like the Explorer shape. It doesn't look as cool if you're fragile-looking, small stature, or a hobbit.

Korina should be your first choice if you don't like heavy. Remember to consider the MIJ copies, too. Most are available in both Mahogany and Korina. Pic of my favorite Explorer:

Sounds huge with a Herbert or Twin Jet, even with the original, stock PUs.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
It's a very attractive (may be good or bad) guitar! I like the Explorer shape. It doesn't look as cool if you're fragile-looking, small stature, or a hobbit.

Korina should be your first choice if you don't like heavy. Remember to consider the MIJ copies, too. Most are available in both Mahogany and Korina. Pic of my favorite Explorer:

Sounds huge with a Herbert or Twin Jet, even with the original, stock PUs.

Nice Explorer!

Also, good luck finding Korina. That's a pretty hard wood to get these days and expensive as hell. Not to mention kind of hard to work with because of the density.

Quote:
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Ippon
Amped

Thanks.

Why would anyone want to do woodworking on an Explorer.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Thanks.

Why would anyone want to do woodworking on an Explorer.

They wouldn't. I'm talking from a building perspective. There is a reason why there aren't that many companies building Korina guitars these days (at least not for a reasonable price) It's much easier to just use Mahogany or even Koa.

Kinda sucks because Korina is an awesome wood, but that's how it is. Your best bet for a Korina Explorer or V these days would be trying to find and original somewhere or one of the Japanese copies.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Metal Turtle

Thanks for all your feedback,

I really am planning on going to guitar center to try and pick up an Explorer to see if i like it or not, but i really hope it feels right and plays right to me.

I'm a 5'11 and I'm not fat but on not skinny either, I don't have to much muscle but i have a pretty solid playing style so i hope i don't look funny while playing a big guitar heh heh

Once i go to the Guitar Center , i'll post something about that and telling which guitar i choose. And maybe a recording of me using it.

-MT
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

The only company I know for sure doing Korina guitars is Reverend- they use it for their entire production line, AFAIK- but the closest they have to an Explorer is the V shaped Volcano models.

They ARE reasonably priced, though. Most models are in the $700-1000 range, street.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

Ugh, just purchased an LP. GAS is kicking in..
RockAddict311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #14
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
The only company I know for sure doing Korina guitars is Reverend- they use it for their entire production line, AFAIK- but the closest they have to an Explorer is the V shaped Volcano models.

They ARE reasonably priced, though. Most models are in the $700-1000 range, street.

Wow, that's interesting. They must have a really good relationship with their wood supplers. Most of the bigger companies (ala Fender, Gibson, Ibanez etc...) usually have a really hard time getting hold of that stuff, or at least getting it in any type of volume.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: