Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
NaturalH1gh

How to NOT get tired of the same songs?

I am trying to learn a song and even by the time I can learn it fully, I get tired of it, and I am turned off of playing it... Does this happen to you? How do you keep the song 'fresh'? I can only imagine how it is for bands playing the same songs over and over again while touring.. What do you do?
PEACE!
NaturalH1gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Nelson Olstrom

When I am trying to learn a new song, I try to think about a personal connection that i can have with the song. What do the lyrics mean to me? How can I make this song my own? So I'm not just restating or replaying what the artist has created. I honer the artists creation, but still I must in some way make it my own.
Nelson Olstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
NaturalH1gh

Yes, that kind of make sense... it's like a communication form.. and you are conveying emotions/a message.. pretty much like talking, but in a different form )..

I wonder if other people have other tips for this as well..
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
macashmack
Maskcashmack

I can pretty much learn any song that exists within an hour or two which is not enough time to get tired of it.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I get tired of songs after a while playing them, like FTLOG, imagine how sick of playing it Vai is
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
NaturalH1gh

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
I can pretty much learn any song that exists within an hour or two which is not enough time to get tired of it.

That's cool! )) But for sure there are more advanced pieces for you to learn..

I also think it applies to composing as well.. as you can get tired of the song, or you just lose passion for it.. idk
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Imagine those artists who grew to hate their stuff. Kurt Cobain with Smells Like The Only Song you Know for example. Or maybe Bat Country for A7X. Enter Sandman...Honestly, I think Iron Maiden and Michael Jackson never got/gets tired cos of the constant amount of hits they made

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
NaturalH1gh

eric, I am not sure I got your point..

If you still know of any tips on how to keep songs fresh, please write!

Do you think maybe receiving appreciation from an audience regularly helps too?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

Make it your own really. Add stuff, remove stuff, and improvise stuff. Find connections to it, and convey those emotions in your playing. Get the audience involved in it. For example, a buddy of mine and his band were playing a song, and he got the whole audience to clap along to the drum beat. It was really cool, even though I wasn't a fan of the music.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I don't get tired of my own songs. Other people's songs are a different story.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Sickz
Jazz Musician

When i am learning songs for myself (that being not learning it for a gig, or for a student) i rarely finish songs, and i see no problem in that.

Like for example, i have this song that i just finished learning all the parts off. How long did it take me? 7 months. Did i work on it for 7 months? No. You work on a song when you feel inspired to do so, who cares when you finish learning it, the main point is to have fun when learning something and the best way to do so is to only practice those songs when you feel inspired to do so.

That being said, most of the time when i get the feeling "man i want to learn that song" it sticks with me till the end of the process. But sometimes i learn about half of it and then i feel like i want to learn another song. There is nothing bad with not learning full songs either, i often just take small parts i enjoy out of songs.

So basically i am saying, play what you want to play at that moment, it keeps things very fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalH1gh
eric, I am not sure I got your point..

If you still know of any tips on how to keep songs fresh, please write!

Do you think maybe receiving appreciation from an audience regularly helps too?

Well I'm not far enough into being a musician to give any great advice just yet, I was just pointing out that maybe Iron Maiden, Michael Jackson, and the like probably never got tired of their songs because of all the constant hits they've released. Just a comment :P: All the other advice on here is great though, I'm learning right here with you bro/chica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Tired of it before I've finished learning it? No, that doesn't happen. Whatever you're learning may be too complex, or playing full songs just isn't for you.

If you think that playing a song is pretty mindless/boring you have to derive your enjoyment from the audience reaction, playing music with your friends, or in the absence of a band, just listening to and enjoying music.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #14
KevinGoetz
Mute Prophet Guitarist

It can suck pretty bad. I've written three albums with my band, but we haven't recorded all that material, by far. When you're using a setlist primarily of your earliest material, and you know you've written better stuff you'd rather be playing, it can make you lose interest. And honestly, apart from going back and revising the stuff you're getting sick of, I don't really know what you can do to combat that. As for covers; that's really just finding a reason to enjoy the song. If you get sick of it before you even learn it, I really don't think you SHOULD be learning it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
NaturalH1gh

Thanks ppl for all the good advice!
Just to let you know I am a beginner, I learn on my own, dont have a band and just play for friends occasionally...
SO the big point is to just to play it if you feel it, right...? So no goal setting like - I'm gonna finish this song no matter what? This doesn't work in music, does it?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
Exterminatus

When you tackle a part, play it with different fingers. Keeps the difficulty level high and makes you more technical while giving weaker fingers a workout.

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
Exterminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalH1gh
SO the big point is to just to play it if you feel it, right...? So no goal setting like - I'm gonna finish this song no matter what? This doesn't work in music, does it?

If you want to improve you have to put the effort in. Waiting for inspiration to strike is a lazy trap to fall into. If you force yourself to play you will get better faster than if you don't.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
cdgraves

Playing in a cover band, I get plenty tired of practicing songs, but I never get tired of performing them. Whether or not I really like as song I've learned, the real challenge is to perform it as precisely and soulfully as possible.

Beyond the strictly emotional, there's also a wealth of musical knowledge in any piece of music. You don't have to like something to learn from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
If you want to improve you have to put the effort in. Waiting for inspiration to strike is a lazy trap to fall into. If you force yourself to play you will get better faster than if you don't.

Yeah, if I waited until I really felt geared up to play music, I wouldn't get a whole lot of it done. By the time I'm done at work, the tedium of 2-4 hours of intense focus on music isn't always appealing. But if I didn't sit down and make myself do it, I'd have less active musical thoughts turning into ideas, and much less technical or aural ability to turn those ideas into real music. Really, my musical idea factory gets humming along much better after a few hours of studious practice. Spend a few hours working out little details and it's so much easier just to let it flow creatively.

Last edited by cdgraves : 08-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ That's probably why being part of a band is so important. You don't feelike playing but have to play anyway. It mayn't be super fun always but one day you notice that you're actually improving, and it totally rocks.

Cover bands are especially good for getting your skills up. I opt to learn all songs for cover bands by ear too, so my ability to pick up a song quickly by ear has also improved dramatically.

Rate This Thread: