Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
1sheldon

Double locking trem help !

I have never taken all strings off at once and restrung my floyd rose before, so I followed a youtube video how to do it, once I put the strings back on I tried tuning it this is where I need help.

So when I stand on the E string (tuning to drop C) I tune it to C then follow the C tuning all the way down to the bottom but by the time I get to the high E it is insanely loose, then when I tune that, I check to make sure the other strings are in tune but they are far from off by the time I get to the bottom.

I even tried going from E to e then A to B and D to G and it does the same thing, I cannot get it to a solid tuning.

Sorry if I am not descriptive enough
1sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

was in in drop C before? If not, you may need to tighten the screws at the back (where the springs attach to)
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
1sheldon

yes it was
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Jim #4

new strings need like 100 retunes if you have just finished restringing...its an insane pain in the ass.
Jim #4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
1sheldon

for same case as me? like every time I tune a string it pushes the other strings that were just tuned in different directions (tighter or looser)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
steve987

Is it a different string gauge?
If so then it will need to be setup properly at the back, as the tension on the springs will have changed, you say the strings are going too loose, so tighten the screws on the springs at the back a bit, re-tune, if it's still out tighten more, then re-tune, repeat this until you can get it stable in the correct tuning, this can take a while, (especially with new strings) and can be a real pain in the arse.
I'd suggest watching some videos showing how to do it, and if you're still really confused take it to a guitar shop, some guitar workshops will show you how its done and let you watch.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sheldon
I have never taken all strings off at once and restrung my floyd rose before, so I followed a youtube video how to do it, once I put the strings back on I tried tuning it this is where I need help.

So when I stand on the E string (tuning to drop C) I tune it to C then follow the C tuning all the way down to the bottom but by the time I get to the high E it is insanely loose, then when I tune that, I check to make sure the other strings are in tune but they are far from off by the time I get to the bottom.

I even tried going from E to e then A to B and D to G and it does the same thing, I cannot get it to a solid tuning.

Sorry if I am not descriptive enough

Ummm....yeah, that's how it works if you didn't block the trem.

Keep tuning, it will eventually get there.

Next time block the trem before you remove the strings, that way the string tension is closer to where it needs to be when you start tuning back up and things will go a lot faster.

Rate This Thread: