Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Hans35

Question Hi, I'm new. Where do I start?

Hi everyone, thanks for reading this. I currently play the violin (which is quite demanding, so to speak) and since I love music and have a guitar at home I want to start playing. But I can't afford lessons for both. Is there a way I can learn guitar online? Any specific lessons, tips, books, videos etc? I've heard reading "tabs" should be easy. But isn't that sort of cheating? And where do I even start? If anyone has some ideas, I'll be very grateful!!

Also, I've heard a lot about the dififculty (or lack thereof) of the guitar. How hard is it really considering I'll be without a teacher, and when I will i be able to play my first pieces?

Thanks.
Hans35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
eGraham
Artists are crooks

Tabs are not cheating. Tablature was designed specifically with guitar and other fretted instruments in mind--it is no different from sheet music in its application. It doesn't require you learning note names, thereby reducing music theory knowledge necessary. Some will view that as a con, others as a pro. But don't at all feel ashamed if you look up tabs. Do try to learn things by ear, though--that beats out tabs and sheet music, in my humble opinion.

As for the difficulty of guitar, it's often said that it is easy to learn but difficult to master. Much like most other instruments. Most any person can learn chord structures, scales, timing, etc., but only dedicated people can learn how to utilize them to their full extent, and transcend the "guitar is just an instrument" boundary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb4rabid
It's like I went to bed with Scarlett Johannsen and Natalie Portman, and I come home to Sarah Silverman.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
neha2215

Hi friend I am new here. I really very happy to join this forum.
thanks to add me!
camp dhanaulti
neha2215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
arieana

hi neha how u good to see u
arieana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
mcloren

Welcome to the forum. Good to see around you
I am Loren .. nice to meet you
mcloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
martinmacgrath

How are you all?i am newbie here.i like this forum and want to say welcome to all who's join newly to this board.I hope so you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks!!!

[forbidden link]
martinmacgrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: