Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
GuitarNewbee

******* top wood for guitar top?

I dont know what type of wood it is or if its even a good idea to use it.. all i know is that its a big left over piece of wood for ******* tops from when my mom was remodeling the ******* and she changed the ******* top, she was gonna throw it away because it was big left over so she let me have it and i really like how it looks and want to put it as my top wood on the guitar im building because the wood already came in a really cool trippy design thats already painted so i dont need to buy paint if i use is as my top wood for the guitar... and by trippy i do mean trippy.. if you saw it while on lsd you'd tripballs the way its painted makes it look like if some of the spots are popping out at you and if some of the spots are farther away which makes it looks like its a never ending portal that you can can fall into... if you look down at it it feels like your going to fall in i took some pictures but you cant really tell because the pictures make the paint look dull and flat and also put my ibanez rg on top of it to show how big it really is
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/A...html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/A...html?sort=3&o=1
but in person it literally looks like its popping out at you, like you can physically reach out and grab the shapes and like if you can put your hand through it cause theres spots that look like they're super far away which make it look like it never ends and you can just go right through it.. it also has this tranperant glossy thing over the paint that makes it look like the spots/shapes are physically there but covered by glass when its really just painted on... i think the only way to explain would be if you have a flamed maple guitar and look at it closely and it looks like the stripes/waves are physically there and inside the guitar... thats what the wood looks like but not only does it look like its physically there but also looks like its 3D and like its super deep like 8 miles deep which makes it feel like you can go inside it oh and btw i'm not stoned right now i'm being serious

Last edited by GuitarNewbee : 06-25-2013 at 07:36 PM.
GuitarNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Explorerbuilder

Looks Like it is particle board with a fake granite veneer. That isnt real wood...
Explorerbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
GuitarNewbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
Looks Like it is particle board with a fake granite veneer. That isnt real wood...

are you sure? i think it might be cause thats the only side thats like that... the bottom looks like wood... im going to take a picture hold on.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
GuitarNewbee

never mind i just looked it up... it is particle board can i still use it though? would it sound bad?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Roc8995

It would sound bad, and be heavy and hard to work with. Not a good piece to use.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

I can see no reason why it would sound bad (unless you fit junk electrics and did a really poor job of it).

BUT

It would indeed be insanely heavy and a nightmare to work with: the melamine veneer chips easily and the "wood" (and resin and dust and other crap that's in there) blunts tools in no time.

Also it looks like you'd be too distracted by it to be able to work on it.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Rusty_Chisel

You may be able to buy the top as a veneer at home depot or lowes or on-line. I think you would use contact cement to join it to a real piece of wood that you can make the body from.
Rusty_Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Ethanb08
No one in particular

Being a former cabinetmaker, I'll tell you its particle board core with your average kraftpaper/mel based laminate styled to look like a granite of sorts..

from a tool perspective, any routing through that laminated top will lead to premature dulling and overheating of your tools, and as stated before, it'll likely chip when doing so.

And since the core is particle board, I figure that would have a negative effect on sound cause its rather porous, for lack of a better term, nature, which isn't something you would normally use to do any intricate shaping...

If you were going to, alternatively, cover a guitar in laminate, as stated contact cement would be the easiest and best way to do it, a good spray glue is convenient, but the average ones are not that spectacular. Also I would pre route all and any cavities in the wood core, then glue the laminate on as a very rough shape. After it is glued drill the cavities out so you have starter hole for your laminate trimmer bit or router with a template/bearing bit if you decide to go that way and trim out all the cavities and shapes as needed.
MXR phase 90, Carbon Copy
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)
ETB Infinity
ETB Wolfgang
Ethanb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
ExDementia
UG Freak

To sum up; don't bother. You can get decent wood from lumber yards for dirt cheap if you're looking to build a guitar.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
andersstruve
UG 's Degenerate Army

Looks almost too brittle to get a decent curved cut out of it (obviously it is seeing as you managed to slice a nice curve out of it). And besides it's impurities in the wood (that which is the entire board) are what cause bum tones, an area of one density resonating through knots or holes meeting an area of different density in the wood.

If you wish to maintain even an ounce of sanity; stay away from the pit. Seriously. There's bronies there.

wow you must be really special
andersstruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
clustercuss

Do the guitar you are building a favour and don't use this piece of material.

I would not use plastic laminate (that is the "trippy" material on the surface of the board you have) as a top material on a wood body either. Solid wood will shrink and swell with humidity changes. Plastic laminate will not. You could have a wood body laminated with plastic laminate, and trimmed real nice, but when the wood changes with humidity the edges will not match up any longer.
clustercuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: