Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Green_Ghoul

MIDI controller

So right now I have an Alesis Quadraverb and a Midiverb II. I use both for different types of reverbs and then the Quadraverb for other things like pan, ring modulator, etc. I don't have any way to control them besides my hands and I was thinking of getting a foot controller so it won't be awkward if I'm ever in a band and on stage and have to push buttons mid-song.

Right now I'm looking at a MIDI Buddy but I'm not sure if it can be connected to two systems at once. Is there such a thing that will allow me to change patches and stuff on each rack without having to get two controllers?

Thanks
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

You only need one MIDI line looping around to all your devices. You go from MIDI through of the first unit to the MIDI in of the next one. The only time you have to go to star configuration is when running lots and lots of MIDI gear like some keyboards players do. There is a small propagation delay when going through multiple units in a loop but for your application it won't be noticeable.

There is another cheaper option. You can set up the Quadraverb so that you can advance through a set of patches using a momentary footswitch (like a keyboards sustain pedal) in the advance jack. If you go from MIDI out of the Quadraverb to MIDI in of the Midiverb it will follow the Quaddy as long as they are on the same MIDI channel. Then all you have to do is map the program change table in the Midiverb.
The Quadraverb manual is pretty good, it explains how to go about it.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 07-15-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Green_Ghoul

I'll read the quadraverb manual when I can get to a computer...but will the midibuddy be good for my needs? I'll just plug it into the quadraverb and use the MIDI out on that into the midiverb? Then I assign patches to different numbers?

Am I getting that right??
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Correct, Don't forget to turn on "midi through" to make midi out behave as through,
You should be able to map program change data to the appropriate patch too using the program change table. Well, you can on the Quaddy, not sure about the Midiverb. I haven't had a Midiverb for many a year. If not, stick the Midiverb first in the chain.
Alesis manuals are pretty good, you should be able to work it out.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
diabolical

There are also midi up/down switches that might be cheaper. Tech21 still makes one I believe. Personally, I went to a midi controller, bought a cheap ADA off Ebay and worked like a charm.

It might be easier to simplify as well with a floor unit that would handle two delays and fx if you're open to that.

Rate This Thread: