Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
As far as i know it would have to be used since they run well over 2k new, not to mention quality cabs aint cheap.

As far as ive been able to see the MKII has a rather nice clean channel, then again im not one to trust YT vids THAT much, anyone got 1st hand experience?

Ive looked into some of the fender amps which have epic cleans but i always find their OD to be lacking and they dont lend themselves well to anything high gain or very modern, though i may be wrong since ive only tried the twinreverb and the bassman.

Yep, I still have the Rockerverb 100 MKII and the Clean is pretty useable. If I were you, I'd also check out a Rivera KTre, outstanding Fender Cleans and more Gain than you'll need.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #22
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Splawn.

But seriously, a Quickrod would have to be a good choice for what you want.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Remnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Splawn.

But seriously, a Quickrod would have to be a good choice for what you want.

Lol it was already predicted you'd suggest splawn. I have little knowledge about splawn, though i hear great things about them. You really think its a versatile amp to cover the spectrum i like?
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #24
LaidBack
Call me Mike

That's a wide variety of sounds from the artists you listed; Marshall, Fender, Diezel, Supro, Mesa, Vox...those were all used to get those tones from those guys. And then some.

Sounds like you're leaning towards a more British sound though...

Are you gigging? If not (and even if you are!), maybe look into a CEC amps Toll-Free Express. http://www.cecamps.com/main/amplifi...l-free-express/
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
Remnest

Yes i plan to gig in the near future, we just got a band together. And i know its a ridiculously wide spectrum of sounds but i tend to write stuff from different sub-genres in rock so id need something that can do at least most of them lol. I know im asking for too much but im sure theres something that gets me close enough.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #26
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

The Splawns are fairly versatile but there are a boat load of amps that are MORE versatile.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #27
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Splawns are fairly versatile but there are a boat load of amps that are MORE versatile.

+311

I'd look at the Soldano Decatone and HotRod 100 Plus, Mesa TremOVerb and Roadster (RoadKing II if you have the scratch), H&K Duotone, Peavey JSX, etc. Most versatile amps are very good; but, some peeps feel they're not very good for what they want. I love the Decatone. RoadKing II, and HR100+, followed by the TremOVerb and JSX, then the Duotone and Roadster.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #28
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

A Mesa Royal Atlantic may be worth a look at too.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #29
Ippon
Amped

Quote:

+311 Forgot that one. Definitely covers the Marshall-type tone with the Mesa flavor.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #30
Remnest

Quote:

That may be another one to consider along with the Roadking.....though the Series II is out of budget for sure.

So you guys think that the Mesa offerings would be better suited for my needs over the Orange?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #31
Ippon
Amped

In a band setting, most of those amps are more than sufficient/suitable, an opinion. You need to audition them and buy the one that is most pleasant to you if you play alone a lot, or compose by yourself.

Those amps have distinct characteristics when playing at home/apartment vs. practice volumes. Start auditioning them over several days or weekends. What I find nice might be to you/some, etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #32
Remnest

I know the local GC has the RA100 and a Roadking so ill try those out tmr. Sadly they have no Rockerverb so i cant compare. This is going to be a lengthy process, hopefully i learn something. I appreciate the help guys.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #33
Ippon
Amped

Lengthy indeed. Good luck, have fun!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #34
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

mesa MKIV's are pretty cheap now. i love mine. i paid $875 for the long head, recapped and with brand new tubes. its an older one with the fan reverb and attached cord, but i love it. throw an OD in front of it (timmy in my case) dime the timmy into the second channel and its orgasmic. i also have the third channel for LOG, and nice cleans.

also my VHT sig:X is very flexible, really really nice cleans for a 3 channel amp at the price. i use the second channel more djent, and the third more brootz. the second channel can go damn near clean all the way up to a single gain stage less OD than the third channel.

about the only things more versatile would arguable the VH4 (haven't played but listened to a lot), MKV, or MFX thing like axefx or kemper, but i don't do modeling.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #35
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup

also my VHT sig:X is very flexible, really really nice cleans for a 3 channel amp at the price. i use the second channel more djent, and the third more brootz. the second channel can go damn near clean all the way up to a single gain stage less OD than the third channel.

about the only things more versatile would arguable the VH4 (haven't played but listened to a lot), MKV, or MFX thing like axefx or kemper, but i don't do modeling.

The Sig:X would suck, for me, for the tones needed (Hendrix, Jack White, Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Weezer, SRV, AC/DC, Tool, APC, Soundgarden). The CLX (EL34) would be better; maybe, even the UltraLead for the KT88 flavor.

You'd need to try really hard with the VH4 (I did), IMO. The Herbert or Einstein would be better. Since we've edged to beyond budget, the XTC and Shiva would be very nice, too.

I'd take the RA100 over the MKIV or V. I no longer have a modeling amp since my brief few weeks with the AxeFX but I still have most of the amps mentioned.

Rate This Thread: