Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

NGD - Something a little different

A while back I posted a thread about how I was having string break issues at the saddle on my guitar, despite having filed the saddles twice. Well, I decided to just bypass that whole issue by upgrading my bridge to a Graph Tech Resomax NV2!

At first I was kinda put off by the fact that the saddles are black, but it's kinda grown on me, I have to admit

Now, never having changed a saddle, I wasn't sure what to expect out of this sound-wise. I was suprised how much it actually affected my tone! I have a pretty bright setup going, as my Bridge Pup is a Pearly Gates, and it removed some of the mroe harsh parts of the high-end. Now, don't get me wrong, this wasn't some extreme, drastic change, but it was noticeable. It didn't kill the high-end, it just kinda took a little edge off. In addition, my sustain has definitely improved over the stock bridge. My current practice setup is: Guitar>TL-2>Small PA Head>Headphones where the PA is muted and my computer is also plugged into it for jamming along. There's no amp or cab modeling going on, so there's no artificial sustain, and I've definitely noticed an improvement. Finally, (and most importantly) MY STRINGS ARE STILL IN TACT!

Installation was fairly simple. You just unscrew the old bridge posts and take the bridge off, then screw this one's posts in and put the new bridge on them. It's magnetic, so it won't fall off, you have to pull it off. The action was easy to set up once I got the strings on, and the intonation was a breeze as well. I had plenty enough travel in both directions. It even came with the holes for the posts, incase you're installing this on a build. All in all, I would say the whole process took me about an hour, including cleaning up my entire guitar (including the fretboard), intonating, setting the action, tuning up, stretching the strings, and re-tuning. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Now, never having changed a saddle, I wasn't sure what to expect out of this sound-wise. I was suprised how much it actually affected my tone! I have a pretty bright setup going, as my Bridge Pup is a Pearly Gates, and it removed some of the mroe harsh parts of the high-end. Now, don't get me wrong, this wasn't some extreme, drastic change, but it was noticeable. It didn't kill the high-end, it just kinda took a little edge off. In addition, my sustain has definitely improved over the stock bridge.

exactly.

it's the most under recognized upgrade you can do (on UG).

depending on the guitar it can be pretty drastic, enough to warrant not changing pick ups.

i believe that most mid grade guitars can benefit from a bridge swap and electronics upgrade. those are the two things most guitars get skimp'd on from the factory just like amps get meh speakers and tubes.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

exactly.

it's the most under recognized upgrade you can do (on UG).

depending on the guitar it can be pretty drastic, enough to warrant not changing pick ups.

i believe that most mid grade guitars can benefit from a bridge swap and electronics upgrade. those are the two things most guitars get skimp'd on from the factory just like amps get meh speakers and tubes.

I completely agree. The first thing I look into when buying a guitar is new pickups if it's something that doesn't already come with branded pickups. The exception here would be brands like Gibson and Fender that have quality stock pickups. I also opt fro straplocks immediately (usualy Schaller) to prevent nasty, unnecessary drops. From now on, I'll be upgrading the bridge as well. On my backup (LTD 200QM) I get annoyed when I change strings because the tail piece and bridge like to fall off. I never had that problem with my Epi, but every other guitar I've dealt with has had this annoyance.

I think the only stock items left on this guitar are: the nut, the tuners (they're Grovers, though), Tailpiece, Pots, Switch, and I think I'll be changing the switch soon. I've had issues every now and then where I'll switch from Bridge to Neck and you'll hear it, but it'll be much quieter and lower output. The last time I checked, the soldering looked okay, but maybe I'll pull out my iron and redo it anyway.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
mmolteratx
UG God

The Graphtech saddles don't have the spike at 2kHz like metal saddles. So ya, a pretty big difference.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

way to go. bridge upgrade FTW. +1 with greg, a bridge upgrade can be a real big deal.

callaham released a ABR i was considering trying out. i am using callaham on my custom build.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
&baconstrips

I remember how pleased I was when I changed the saddles on my pacifica to graphtech ones, it was quite nice.

Not trying to thread-jack, but would these saddles work well with a bigsby style vibrato? I have a roller at the moment but the high and low e strings fall off the rollers when I "get into it" a bit too much. Also, the sustain is balls.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Sweet, glad you got a new one!!
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I don't suppose that they make one with a 77mm post spacing do they? I want a gold one for my Yamaha SG.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
gerrywm

Quote:
On my backup (LTD 200QM) I get annoyed when I change strings because the tail piece and bridge like to fall off. I never had that problem with my Epi, but every other guitar I've dealt with has had this annoyance.

Try leaving the g string on the guitar loosely, stops the bridge from falling off or moving from the height you set it to while cleaning the guitar. Once you put on a new string take off the old string.that used really annoy me with my LP
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
I remember how pleased I was when I changed the saddles on my pacifica to graphtech ones, it was quite nice.

Not trying to thread-jack, but would these saddles work well with a bigsby style vibrato? I have a roller at the moment but the high and low e strings fall off the rollers when I "get into it" a bit too much. Also, the sustain is balls.

I'm not really sure, as I've never used a Bigsby, but if it helps at all, these are more rounded off than the standard Metal saddles. They don't come to a high point like those. They're also pretty slippery for the strings, hence the reduced string breakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I don't suppose that they make one with a 77mm post spacing do they? I want a gold one for my Yamaha SG.

I'm not entirely sure if they sell one with that spacing, but if not, you can always just buy the individual saddles:

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=34

Here is the page with the entire bridge:

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=19

They don't list one in that size, but I'm sure if you emailed them, they might be able to tell you if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
Try leaving the g string on the guitar loosely, stops the bridge from falling off or moving from the height you set it to while cleaning the guitar. Once you put on a new string take off the old string.that used really annoy me with my LP

That's not a bad idea. The only problem I forsee is that it would make cleaning the fingerboard and/or oiling it a pain. I'll probably start doing this, though, until I can upgrade the bridge on it too.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Did I miss something? Wheres the new guitar!!? All im seeing is a new bridge, or a NBD!
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

NewGearDay
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
NewGearDay

Bah, no. NGD must be reserved for GUITARS! I can't cope with multiple use acronyms
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Happy NGGAD!
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
&baconstrips

Quote:
I'm not really sure, as I've never used a Bigsby, but if it helps at all, these are more rounded off than the standard Metal saddles. They don't come to a high point like those. They're also pretty slippery for the strings, hence the reduced string breakage.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Bah, no. NGD must be reserved for GUITARS! I can't cope with multiple use acronyms

I just see N*insert any string of capital letters here*D and assume it's a new something day, so I go check it out.

I could say NKSDJFOASODMIEOIJFD and my reaction would be: "Oooh! What's that?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Happy NGGAD!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
Thanks!

No Problem! If you follow the links I posted for Cath, you can get a better look at them.

In addition to the stuff I mentioned in my review, I could swear there's been an increase in string clarity. I can hear each individual note better than before. It could also be that I've been used to playing the EC200QM with stock pups for the past while now and just got used to those. Either way, I'm not gonna complain

Rate This Thread: