User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
I'm sure I'll be attacked and yelled at for this but I like bc rich for metal guitars, specifically http://www.bcrich.com/models/guitar...east-Trace-T/96 I have nothing but positive things to say about it, takes distortion well and is plays well too

Boo! Shame! BC Rich are like the succubi of "Metal guitars". They suck up your cash and give very little back.

Ok, I'm joking. (You basically asked for some teasing by saying the bolded part. ) But seriously, don't get a BC Rich.

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heideck
I'm hesitating between the DBZ and an ibanez RG420, I'll post what will be my choice
You may also want to try:
I'd recommend either an Ibanez RG5EX1 or a modified Strat. Only trouble is, you'd probably have to go to eBay to get a good modified Strat (and even then, good is hard to find).

Above all though, I'd recommend you go and try out either what I and others have recommended. Also, try out a few similar guitars. See what feels good, what sounds good to you, etc. Happy guitar shopping!

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
dspari1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heideck
I'm hesitating between the DBZ and an ibanez RG420, I'll post what will be my choice

The DBZ has Original Floyd Rose and EMG pickups. The Ibanez has the Edge III and infinity pickups. Spec per spec, the DBZ wins.

In other shops, they sell this guitar for $800, so I think it's a steal:
http://carlinoguitars.com/DBZGuitars_livepics1.html

Last edited by dspari1 : 05-08-2012 at 10:55 PM.
dspari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #23
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Guitar Center has phenomenal deals in the used gear section of their website.

Just sayin'.
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?

No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #24
Viban
UG's resident bum

whats with the bc rich hate? they make a decent product IMO
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #25
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

"metal" is not a type of guitar, it is a genre of music. literally any guitar can play metal. i am so sick of people not understand this. i can play metal on my Gibson LP's, i do! an SG yea! thats my main "metal" guitar, but it is not a "metal guitar" its a guitar that i use to play the metal genre.

i don't remember the prices but i like the Godin Redlines, LTD EC400's aren't terrible (401's made in different country not quite as good. i have owned both), you should be able to get you hands on a Jackson in that price range, i don't keep to much watch over their products though.

have you owned a guitar with a full floating bridge before (like FR)?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #26
dspari1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
"metal" is not a type of guitar, it is a genre of music. literally any guitar can play metal. i am so sick of people not understand this. i can play metal on my Gibson LP's, i do! an SG yea! thats my main "metal" guitar, but it is not a "metal guitar" its a guitar that i use to play the metal genre.

i don't remember the prices but i like the Godin Redlines, LTD EC400's aren't terrible (401's made in different country not quite as good. i have owned both), you should be able to get you hands on a Jackson in that price range, i don't keep to much watch over their products though.

When it comes to playing metal, I think there is a difference between guitars.

Are you going to want a guitar like a Fender with single coil pickups that are built for cleans or pickups that will give heavier tones such as SD and EMG are famous for. That's not to say that you can't take one and change the pickups and have a great guitar for the genre.

Are you going to want Basswood or Mahogany? I prefer the tone of mahogany, but that's just me.

Finally, there is also a theatrical portion of playing metal. Just like it's probably not a good idea to play blues or church music with a guitar that has a huge skull graphics and wearing chains and revealing your tattoos, it's perfectly acceptable and sometimes desired when playing metal.

Last edited by dspari1 : 05-09-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #27
dspari1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
whats with the bc rich hate? they make a decent product IMO

There will always be B.C. Rich hate. No matter if many great artists such as Zoltan from 5FDP or John Moyer from Disturbed play them, people will still look at one of their radical shapes and discriminate. It isn't for everyone I guess.

I personally think they make great gear, but that's just me.

Last edited by dspari1 : 05-09-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #28
LordPino

Just saying, I would not recommend buying a relatively cheap guitar with a Floyd Rose. Never actually owned one myself, but from what I hear, unless you got a proper, genuine FR, it's not worth the problems it causes.
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
LordPino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #29
EspTro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspari1
When it comes to playing metal, I think there is a difference between guitars.

Are you going to want a guitar like a Fender with single coil pickups that are built for cleans or pickups that will give heavier tones such as SD and EMG are famous for. That's not to say that you can't take one and change the pickups and have a great guitar for the genre.

Are you going to want Basswood or Mahogany? I prefer the tone of mahogany, but that's just me.

Finally, there is also a theatrical portion of playing metal. Just like it's probably not a good idea to play blues or church music with a guitar that has a huge skull graphics and wearing chains and revealing your tattoos, it's perfectly acceptable and sometimes desired when playing metal.

you obviously havnt played a tele through a 6505.....

but there is merit to what your saying .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
EspTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #30
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:

Yes it is. Some guitars are more designed for metal than others (guitars with EMG pickups, Floyd Rose and pointy looks, mostly brands like BC Rich, Jackson, Ibanez, especially Dean). But I agree with you, you can play any music style with any guitar. But which guitar do you think will do metal better: Fender Telecaster (with single coils) or Jackson Randy Rhodes? I am pretty sure that Jackson Randy Rhodes was designed primarily with metal in mind. And Telecaster more like for blues and country.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
EspTro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Yes it is. Some guitars are more designed for metal than others (guitars with EMG pickups, Floyd Rose and pointy looks, mostly brands like BC Rich, Jackson, Ibanez, especially Dean). But I agree with you, you can play any music style with any guitar. But which guitar do you think will do metal better: Fender Telecaster (with single coils) or Jackson Randy Rhodes? I am pretty sure that Jackson Randy Rhodes was designed primarily with metal in mind. And Telecaster more like for blues and country.

doesnt mean you have to use those guitars. society shouldnt decide that only metal looking guitars are going to work for metal. how do you think some bands great super unique tones. no one thought anyone would shred on a strat or tele untill John 5 spurred things up and back starting in the 80's and 90's yngwie and eric Jhonson starting shredding like crazy on their guitars. while people like MAB did the super futuristic looking deans and metallica with their all black crazy shaped explorer (at the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
EspTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #32
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
Used Jackson of some sort.

I agree.

You should be able to find a made in Japan Jackson for around that price, especially if you look used. I have a jackson dk2m dinky and a rr3 rhoads and they are both great guitars.
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #33
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine

pointy doesn't make it metal. EMG's don't make it metal, actually an EMG60 has a very pleasent clean. floyd roses have been used for rock or metal since they were developed, but they are not a requirement for a "metal" guitar.

yes there are guitars shifted toward one genre, but "metal isn't a guitar" its how the guitar is used

i agree a Jackson XXX or a ESP XXX are going to sound better for metal, but what is to stop them from playing blues? or country. you don't need single coils for country or blues if you have the proper amp setup. the amp selection would matter more. higher output pickups sound good on a Dr. Z, i have played numerous guitars through a Dr. Z they all sound good for cleaner tones.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #34
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

also to mention at your budget the trems aren't all that great. typically you need to spend a little more for a good bridge. but thats not to say there aren't some that would hold up fine.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #35
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
pointy doesn't make it metal. EMG's don't make it metal, actually an EMG60 has a very pleasent clean. floyd roses have been used for rock or metal since they were developed, but they are not a requirement for a "metal" guitar.

yes there are guitars shifted toward one genre, but "metal isn't a guitar" its how the guitar is used

i agree a Jackson XXX or a ESP XXX are going to sound better for metal, but what is to stop them from playing blues? or country. you don't need single coils for country or blues if you have the proper amp setup. the amp selection would matter more. higher output pickups sound good on a Dr. Z, i have played numerous guitars through a Dr. Z they all sound good for cleaner tones.

Yeah, as I said, I agree with you but some guitars are more made for metal than others. Of course you can play whatever style with whatever guitar. But some guitars are made for metal. But of course it's your own preference that matters. If you like Tele sound for metal, then it's OK. Or if you like Jackson RR tone for blues, it's OK too. Nothing wrong with it. But I'm pretty sure that Jackson RR was made primarily with metal in mind. And active pickups IMO can't do anything but metal/hard rock because they lack the twang and you get no crunchy sounds. Just full clean or full distortion. So they are good for clean clean sound and distorted sounds. Not really fan of them.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: