Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
kashmir0109

Tips on how to get this sound?

Hello all, I just want to open with saying that I have read all of the stickies, FaQs, and other resources on this forum and have already learned a wealth of information from them. However, my band is going to be trying to construct some home recordings (up to now we've only been live), and we want to sound decent.

I want to get a powerful and LOUD sound, similar to this (specifically the tone that comes in at 0:11)
Wolfmother- Woman - YouTube

or Black Dog by Zeppelin.

But I'm not quite sure how to go about this.

I'm very new to recording. I'm a huge classic rock fan and I have good gear ( A JMP 2203 and Les Paul), but I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to studio.

We have mics, and I have this device called a JAMVOX - It is a monitor that plugs into a computer via USB, and has a Mic jack, and a standard instrument/guitar cable jack so I could direct input it all. It also has an interface program that you install on the computer which allows you to customize your sound with different pedals, amps, etc. It's hard to explain but google it and you'll see what I mean.

The problem is, the direct input sound is pretty terrible. It sounds way too digital and non-organic. So I figure I would just put a mic up to the 4x12 cab and JMP 2203, and run it into the JAM VOX with the interface at completely clean.

Would this be a good idea? Also the JMP is a super loud amp, how would I record it without over-driving the system?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!
kashmir0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Read up on a technique called compression. If you're looking for loud, that's what you want. If you're looking for a specific tone, I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else. Forget about it. What you hear on a CD or on tour is a tone you'll never get. You may get close, but you'll never achieve the same thing. Studio tone is usually a concoction of various amps, effects or overdubbed guitars.

Also, you're using cheap recording equipment. Cheap in equals cheap out. The CDs you buy at your local music store weren't recorded and mastered using a Jamvox, so how can you expect to achieve pro results using one? Also, learning how to properly record takes time, just like it takes time to learn to play guitar. You really need an equipment upgrade and some time to learn how to use it.

What type of mics do you have and how are you recording your guitar? Are you going direct in to the Jamvox?

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 12-28-2012 at 01:56 PM.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Keep the gain fairly low, compress the cab output, and it's a good thing you have an interface, because using your computer's direct input is a bad idea for reasons that are detailed in the interface thread. If you want that stoner-rock sound that Wolfmother uses, keep in mind that most of it comes from the bass, not the guitars. A fuzz pedal before the amp might help too.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

The powerful sound you're hearing on records is heavily processed and arranged by the song's producer; unless you're mixing a full recording, you're not going to get the same impact.

Download Amplitube 3 Custom Shop. it'll work perfectly with your Jamvox and give you a much better sound than Vox's own software.

Andrew Stockdale is well known for using Orange amps, and the Amplitube store has officially licensed Orange amp models, including ones for the exact amp and cab he uses. You can trial various gear from the Custom Shop, and buy it individually if you like it.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

You've asked a veeeery big question.

Great recordings come from great musicians giving great performances in great rooms captured with great gear by a great engineer. Compromise any part of that chain at your peril.

That said, it's not all doom and gloom, but be prepared to spend some money and time.

First, if you want to learn how to record, great. Learn to record. If you simply want to learn to record as a means to an end - to record your own album, then you might want to rethink that.

You're going to spend a couple grand on a very basic setup that might eventually give you a release-quality recording. You'll spend at least a couple of years learning how to do it. Consider that you weren't all that sh!t hot a guitarist after only playing for two years, right? How good a carpenter do you think you'll be after two years? How good a synchronized swimmer will you be after two years? Point is, recording is the same thing. It takes time. Having the gear is important, but having the right tools does not make you a carpenter, having a swim suit does not make you a synchronized swimmer, and having a guitar does not make you a guitarist.

If you want a good recording, compare your two grand and two years to a few hundred dollars in a project studio and you'll have your recording in a week. It will be done by someone who has invested more than a couple grand into their gear, and probably by someone who has invested more than a couple years in learning how to use it. It's really a no-brainer.

It's interesting that you are focusing in loud, and then comparing Wolfmother to Zeppelin. Unless the Zeppelin recordings you have have been remastered, you might be surprised to realize that the Wolfmother (heh... or virtually anything recorded in the last fifteen years, whether it be Foo Fighters, Green Day, Rhianna or One Direction) is going to be WAAAY louder than the Zeppelin recording.

The reason is that, back in the day, they used a LOT less compression in the mastering process than they do today. Back in the day, if you wanted it louder, you had to turn it up. Now, there is this this called the "volume wars" where everything tries to be louder than everything else. Basically, that means that everything is compressed to holy hell and back, and then smashed to f**k with a limiter at the end. Not saying it's a bad thing. I like that sound. But they didn't do that in the days of Zeppelin. "Dynamic range" was a good thing, then, but that has been replaced by the aesthetic of "louder is better."

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
kashmir0109

Thanks to everyone for the replies, as it really put everything into proportion. Perhaps I've underestimated how much goes into this. Regardless, I'll still give it an attempt and hope for at least a mediocre recording, for I don't have the budgeting to go out and spend thousands of dollars.

Interesting on the point that you made of modern vs classic "loudness". I can definitely tell when I listen to the difference. They're 2 different types of louds. Wolfmother is completely blasting. Zeppelin sounds really loud, but it sounds like its farther away and not so in your face like the Wolfmother sound.
kashmir0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir0109
Interesting on the point that you made of modern vs classic "loudness". I can definitely tell when I listen to the difference. They're 2 different types of louds. Wolfmother is completely blasting. Zeppelin sounds really loud, but it sounds like its farther away and not so in your face like the Wolfmother sound.

Nice comparison.

Zep actually have the tinniest, thinnest little guitar tones - a lot of the balls comes from Bonzo and JPJ tearing it up!

Interestingly, Jimmy Page's guitar tone (especially on the early Zep albums) probably came from a tiny little Supro combo like this:

Since you're into recording, you should check out the Led Zeppelin master tapes that are floating around out there. I've had a play with the 8-tracks to 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Ramble On', it's a fascinating slice of history.

Definitely have a play with Amplitube 3 though - the Orange models are awesome and there's a ton of stuff to play with, massive upgrade from the Jamvox software.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: