Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Michael1_4

Question about electric guitar and PA

I've been playing a number of open mics the last few months and I always bring an acoustic-electric and the lady that runs the open mics just plugs my guitar into the PA and I play and sing. That has been working good. I notice very few people bring electric guitars though. Occasionally someone will be playing in the background accompanying the singer with an electric but 95% of the people that play here just bring acoustic-electrics like I have been doing. I would like to play there with an electric there one time though. Is there something about plugging an electric into the PA that doesn't work? Does it hurt the PA or the guitar or something like that? Should I just bring an amp with me just in case? I know this might seem like a silly question to people who have been playing out for years but even though I've played guitar for 30 years+ I just this last year have started playing out in front of people and this is all new to me. Thanks for any responses in advance.
Michael1_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

cleans on electric through a PA are generally ok (Although it will sound much different from a good amp, as PAs are not built with equalizers most of the time), but applying any effects will turn your tone into a yucky mess through a pa. Bring an amp if you're gonna play electric.

edit: or a POD. those are brilliant through a pa system
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
ohaple

It shouldn't be different technically. There is really not much difference between an electric and an acoustic electric. They both have pickups and send out a signal.

How pleasing it is is a different deal. might sound bad. Not sure how big of a crowd you are playing to, but a small amp might be sufficient and sound better than the PA; depends on how big of a space.
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Michael1_4

Thanks a lot for the replies. The place is not huge but not small either, big for a bar but not nightclub type size. I'm usually playing to about 50-60 people. I actually was going to play everything clean on the electric, no distortion or anything like that. I just wanted to try out my Fender Stratocaster instead of my acoustic-electric one time.
Michael1_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Auriemma
Still Strummin'

You can go through a pedal board (with amp simulation) or through an iPad (with Mobile-in or Amplitube). It works for me at our jam sessions.
Ovation '06 Elite-T 1868T
Bradley '77 LP Custom
Boss GT-100
Auriemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
ohaple

Bring both guitars. If the strat sounds bad, you can always switch.
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: