Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
nasserliverpool

Musical Turnarounds

I've been a member of these forums for about four years now. I started the guitar with metal inmind and with the years have now adopted a blues/jazz taste, almost completely leaving my former musical taste. My question is what's your story? What are the things you used to play religiously and suddenly turned a 180 at. (Funny signup posts are also welcome. I used to ask people what songs to play next when I started here. lol)
nasserliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
satanatheist

That mostly just happens to people with metal because it's for 15 year olds and you stop being 15 eventually. Happened to me too, it happens to all of us.
satanatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Elderer
Banned

inb4 shitstorm
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
food1010
Bassist

When I read the title I was thinking like ii V I turnarounds.

That said, I started out listening to purely rock-based genres, then gradually moving through blues, reggae, jazz, funk and others.

I think I could safely say that the type of music that inspires me the most at the moment is hip-hop. I can't stand straight-forward rock beats. Not to say there aren't plenty of groovin' rock drummers, but in general the 1-3 accented, non-syncopated, non-swung rock-type beats are very uninspiring to me.

I still like rock-based music for its melodic ideas and overall sound but I'm not into the drumming any more.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanatheist
That mostly just happens to people with metal because it's for 15 year olds and you stop being 15 eventually. Happened to me too, it happens to all of us.
You should do yoga. It will increase your flexibility.

I've not pulled a 180; I've pulled a 360. I'm back to playing and listening to a lot of what I liked when I was just starting to play (which was not prog metal), Blink 182 and such. After getting into Dream Theater and Symphony X (and Maiden and Metallica and Megadeth), it's strange to think that I'm back to liking songs with lines like "What the hell is caller ID".

Somewhere along the way, I started liking blues. It's probably from when I was super into Hendrix/Clapton/Page.

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
bangoodcharlote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
20Tigers

I didn't change direction with my musical preference but it has expanded greatly since playing the guitar. I have always loved Guns N Roses, Led Zep, RHCP, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Sublime, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, the Stones etc etc. And i still do.

My taste in the older blues has grown. (the really old stuff Robert Johnson, Lightnin Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt etc).
Also some classical music, swing (big band stuff), a little jazz, even rap, pop, and some other music that I wouldn't have listened to before now regularly appears on my play list.

I still love rock and always will. But my tastes have grown beyond genre. Anything that I find musically interesting will be worth listening.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

I feel like once you become a musician you start to perceive music very differently. You become so much more aware and appreciative of the sounds that you are hearing and as a result your musical tastes begin to expand rather than change.

When I started playing guitar when I was 12 the only instruments I could recognize were guitars, pianos and vocals.

Now however I can hear the bass, snare, hi-hat, bass drum, toms, flute, sax, clarinet, tuba, xylophone, marimba, viola, violin, cello, etc...

Not only that but eventually you reach a point where you can literally hear the chord progressions.

I get friends that trip out when I sound out songs on the spot for them at school. They don't understand that so much of the music they listen to is just a bunch of common recycled chord progressions. :/

As a result of all that nonsense I'm currently in a jazz-hiphop phase coming from an anti rap background.

Spiritual State by Nujabes has to be the most beautiful song I have ever heard and If I told myself that 3 years ago then I would've immediately closed my mind just because it's hip-hop.

Last edited by dannydawiz : 01-02-2013 at 03:21 AM.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydawiz
I feel like once you become a musician you start to perceive music very differently. You become so much more aware and appreciative of the sounds that you are hearing and as a result your musical tastes begin to expand rather than change.

When I started playing guitar when I was 12 the only instruments I could recognize were guitars, pianos and vocals.

Now however I can hear the bass, snare, hi-hat, bass drum, toms, flute, sax, clarinet, tuba, xylophone, marimba, viola, violin, cello, etc...

Not only that but eventually you reach a point where you can literally hear the chord progressions.

I get friends that trip out when I sound out songs on the spot for them at school. They don't understand that so much of the music they listen to is just a bunch of common recycled chord progressions. :/
It is kind of awesome to be able to perceive music as much simpler than it appears to non-musicians. Then again, it adds another difficult barrier to cross: Once you have the musical vocabulary, then you really have to feel the groove and have that subconscious intuition. I'm drunk, so I don't really know where I was going with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
I didn't change direction with my musical preference but it has expanded greatly since playing the guitar. I have always loved Guns N Roses, Led Zep, RHCP, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Sublime, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, the Stones etc etc. And i still do.

My taste in the older blues has grown. (the really old stuff Robert Johnson, Lightnin Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt etc).
Also some classical music, swing (big band stuff), a little jazz, even rap, pop, and some other music that I wouldn't have listened to before now regularly appears on my play list.

I still love rock and always will. But my tastes have grown beyond genre. Anything that I find musically interesting will be worth listening.
I'm curious, what kind of music are you digging on currently? It seems like our tastes are pretty similar in that they've branched out from guitar-based blues, but I feel like my tastes change weak to week.

For example, I've been listening to a lot of Outkast recently. They're drum and bass grooves, particularly on ATLiens are so much tighter than most of the hip-hop you can find today.

Could you pinpoint one thing that draws you to music over anything else? Like I mentioned, for me it's that drum and bass groove. That's why I've been drawn to hip-hop recently over anything else. Funk/soul are similar in that essence, but they're not quite as inspiring to me because the bass (as in the bass frequencies, not the instrument) isn't always as clear/prominent.

I'm curious, simply because I'm always looking for new music/inspiration.

Last edited by food1010 : 01-02-2013 at 03:23 AM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
It is kind of awesome to be able to perceive music as much simpler than it appears to non-musicians. Then again, it adds another difficult barrier to cross: Once you have the musical vocabulary, then you really have to feel the groove and have that subconscious intuition. I'm drunk, so I don't really know where I was going with that.

Hahaha!!! It's fine I have an idea of what you're saying. Basically for example when you're improvising on an instrument you don't have the time to consciously figure out what you're playing over.

Just gotta use your ears and subconsciously hear them chord tones and go along with the groove like you said.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

Quote:
When I read the title I was thinking like ii V I turnarounds.

Me too

I listened to whatever was on TV or the radio - which was what my sisters listened to - really anything from Brittany Spears to Blur. I think I was 9 or 10 when my sister brought home a Linkin Park and a Limp Bizkit CD. I got really into those. My music taste got heavier from there in high school in the likes of Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, In Flames etc etc
Then, also in high school, I was put in the jazz band. Learning a bit of jazz theory and playing it a min of 3 times a week granted me appreciation for the (extremely broad) genre.
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
20Tigers

Quote:
For example, I've been listening to a lot of Outkast recently. They're drum and bass grooves, particularly on ATLiens are so much tighter than most of the hip-hop you can find today.

Could you pinpoint one thing that draws you to music over anything else? Like I mentioned, for me it's that drum and bass groove. That's why I've been drawn to hip-hop recently over anything else. Funk/soul are similar in that essence, but they're not quite as inspiring to me because the bass (as in the bass frequencies, not the instrument) isn't always as clear/prominent.

I'm curious, simply because I'm always looking for new music/inspiration.

There isn't one thing for me. It's a whole lot of things, or maybe just one thing sometimes but that one thing could be different every time.

And Outkast - yeah much respect for Outkast.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

I was raised on the local rock station, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, whatever, if it played on your average rock station I probably loved it. Got into KoRn in middle school (god I hate that band now...) and Creed, that evolved into SOAD, and I became obsessed with Led Zeppelin. Later I got into Queens of the Stone Age, and from there I discovered METAL. I couldn't get enough metal. Death, Black, Thrash, Melodic, Power, anything from Iron Maiden to The Black Dahlia Murder. That lasted a few years, until I discovered Prog Metal. Between the Buried and Me and Opeth are my favorite bands to date, but lately I've strayed away from the metal scene a bit. Idk if it's really because I'm getting older or what, but I've been getting into random stuff. Clapton, The Black Crowes, Incubus, Jimmy Eat World.

I'm kind of looking for a "happier" niche to settle into

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanatheist

Then you get back into metal again when you're 20.

ur jus a dum 19 year old wif no life experience

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Don't be hating on 19 year olds, I'm 19 and I'm in a doom band. satanatheist is just immature for his age.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Snotfish
whacktacular

I started out as a 14ish year old jamming on a lot of metal like Iron Maiden, Metallica, and SOAD. As I started smoking weed I got really into reggae (sublime, slightly stoopid, bob marley) and stuff like Chili Peppers, Hendrix, classic 60s psychedelic bands. Then I started moving into current music. The first band that hooked me hard was MGMT when they first started. I had this realization that really awesome unknown music was out there.

Starting around 20 I got into a lot of indie bands and completely ditched all the reggae, I actually can barely stand reggae now aside from a little Sublime and Marley if I'm in the mood. 22 now I have a completely different musical taste as my angsty teen self. Love stuff like Steely Dan, blues (clapton, hendrix, SRV, Zeppelin), and a lot of alternative rock.

My guitar style is very rock/blues/psychedelic oriented. Keep my songs with a nice structured catchy layout and blues licks intertwined throughout the mix with some psychedelic breakdowns. Much different than a 14 year old learning every Maiden song he could get his hands on.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
will42
UG's bassoon-master

I only listened to jazz until american idiot came out. It came out when I was 8.

After that I became serious classic rock only guy. Beatles, Doors, Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers, stuff of that variety. Then my tastes diverged in both directions, getting into earlier chicago blues and motown while simultaneously pressing into RHCP, black keys, phish, and bad rabbits territory.

Now, I rarely listen to modern music. I am right now listening to my third Mozart serenade of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
Dayn

You can include me amongst the disillusioned chorus of ii-V-I.

Personally? I've had no turnaround at all. Started off playing electronic music, which is what got me into guitar. Discovered rock and punk that didn't give a crap about genre restrictions. Discovered metal, got into more extreme bands and those that didn't give a crap about genre restrictions. Then I discovered everything else.

Now the music I make is an amalgam of everything I enjoy. And the music I make with others is based on what they enjoy, with a touch of my own flavour.

Rate This Thread: