Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
metaldud536
Similar to a pony

Have a sense of humor. Feel up on the girls. Etc etc.

My Deviant Art Page
Manchester United
metaldud536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
People have said this already but it's worth repeating: stay in control and if you aren't in control, at least try and act like you know what's going on

So what does one do when people are talking loudly apart from telling them to please stop it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldud536
Have a sense of humor. Feel up on the girls. Etc etc.

lol fired for inappropriate behaviour in the workplace will look so good on my cv.
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
Bob_Sacamano
dreamy dancer

I might be tutoring littleish kids in a couple weeks or a month, this thread scares me. I thought it'd be a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
And this is why feminists will never win, because they would rather live in their moment than actually deal with reality. jrcsgtpeppers 1 Hogwarts Witchcraft and Wizardry 0
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sacamano
I might be tutoring littleish kids in a couple weeks or a month, this thread scares me. I thought it'd be a piece of cake.

I wonder what's harder, teaching little kids or teaching adult teen monsters.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Bob_Sacamano
dreamy dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
I wonder what's harder, teaching little kids or teaching adult teen monsters.

In general, I'd imagine little kids. Most adults wouldn't be misbehaving much in such a small group or 1 on 1. They're also much more likely to be there willingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
And this is why feminists will never win, because they would rather live in their moment than actually deal with reality. jrcsgtpeppers 1 Hogwarts Witchcraft and Wizardry 0
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
CrossBack7
Swag Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender
I have done the exact same a few times, It's hard work, but it's loads of fun and very rewarding imo.

Same. I actually have to teach a lab in about an hour.

And TS, just relax. There will come a time when you don't know the answer to a question, but you just have to find it out. I think you'll find students will come to you more for help and general mentoring advice (which classes to take, how to approach certain classes, etc) as time goes on.

Since you're in the position, I assume you have a pretty good grasp on the material, so just try to remember what was confusing for you when you learned it and be sure to explain those concepts well.

Also, be prepared for some really stupid preconceptions that are just not even close to being correct.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
CrossBack7
Swag Bot

Quote:
So what does one do when people are talking loudly apart from telling them to please stop it?

Threaten to dock them points. Tell them to GTFO if they keep it up. Simple as that. I've never had a problem with it though. Most students at that level aren't there to dick around.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
the bartender
Biologist

Quote:
How did you do the teaching part?

Preparation is the key. I assume you won't have to worry about what you're going to tell them since that's the professor's job, so you should focus on how you're going to tell it. The rest is kinda the same as giving a presentation really.

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #29
donender
Get back to work

I tutor people, but it is more assisting with their projects for an art programme, so i offer assistance when and where i can, but really, they are in control and can do what they like, as long as it is pertinent to the project they are working on.

All i can say is be reasonable but don't let students walk over you. You start to be able to see where the line is between their concentration wavering (which is excusable to an extent), and them just taking the piss and not even bothering.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
Thecla
Aerodynamic

I think also even if the students are noisy and disinterested, treat them with respect. How would you like to be talked to when being 'scolded'? Say something along the lines of how students have chosen to be here, noting is mandatory etc. (at least I think so? :p)
Also in my opinion a teacher that is enthousiastic about teaching and the subject comes across 10 times better than a disinterested boring teacher. Try to have fun with it yourself and the students will like it also

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Thecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #31
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
I know, my mom is a primary school teacher >.>

So why aren't you asking her for advice?

Google the 7 stages of writing and make sure you meet them.

Pretend you are a teacher and act like you are in charge, it is your classroom etc.

Be slightly jokey and prepare for the fact they'll say/ask you anything to derail you from teaching. Be polite and nice but shut that sort of thing down early or it will continue every lesson.

I know you won't have any behaviour issues in HE but it might be worth setting out what you expect in terms of meeting deadlines and effort in work. Have some rules and enforce them, eg I won't mark work if you give it to me late for no reason. This sort of thing stops them taking the piss.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #32
AdamDK
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress_Ibanez
I know you won't have any behaviour issues in HE but it might be worth setting out what you expect in terms of meeting deadlines and effort in work. Have some rules and enforce them, eg I won't mark work if you give it to me late for no reason. This sort of thing stops them taking the piss.

You'd be surprised. I'm in my second year of university and a couple of our seminar tutors have no control over the class so the majority just piss about. You'd think it was a class of year 9 kids not 20-21 yr olds.
AdamDK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #33
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDK
You'd be surprised. I'm in my second year of university and a couple of our seminar tutors have no control over the class so the majority just piss about. You'd think it was a class of year 9 kids not 20-21 yr olds.

Why should they bother? They'd be teaching year 9 if crowd control was their thing.

If I taught HE I would let poorly behaved students sink. They are paying for it, let them realise on their own what they're doing
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #34
AdamDK
Meh.

Quote:
Why should they bother? They'd be teaching year 9 if crowd control was their thing.

If I taught HE I would let poorly behaved students sink. They are paying for it, let them realise on their own what they're doing

I see your point of view though, that is what one of the tutors said. Towards the end of last semester she got sick and just told the class they can shut up and listen and learn or go, she doesn't need to be there, they're paying for it. But besides that one time never once has she ever tried to really exercise any control at all. Most tutors in my experience have seemed really friendly and approachable in the first few sessions but made sure they'd stamp out any chatter or anything if it got excessive, and the class would take note and not do that again.

The only downside is it sucks for the people who want to learn who can't because 3/4 of the class decide to be arseholes and talk over a tutor while they're teaching, and the tutor doesn't do anything, not even so much as a "When I'm talking you listen" kind of thing.
AdamDK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
angusfan16
butts

Don't treat the little children like a petting zoo or they'll never let you back.
Originally Posted by indierockker102
angusfan suck on your dads dick you ****ing shit head
angusfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #36
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
So why aren't you asking her for advice?

Google the 7 stages of writing and make sure you meet them.

Pretend you are a teacher and act like you are in charge, it is your classroom etc.

Be slightly jokey and prepare for the fact they'll say/ask you anything to derail you from teaching. Be polite and nice but shut that sort of thing down early or it will continue every lesson.

Because she doesnt have experience teaching the elderly and i can expect advice from her if i want it or not. Xp. thought maybe on of you people had experience in my situation, which you seem to have.

I am worried about behavioural issues as there are probably 100+students in that room, it is bound to get noisy.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #37
mdwallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_de_hum
Oh right, i had no idea it was so easy, guess my sleepless nights and relentless hours of planning were pretty easy and worthless then

All i can say is to put yourself in the position of the student, is what you're teaching actually going to appeal to their age group and do you have any backup plans for when things don't go the way you want.

It all comes back to your planning, i understand you're only doing a student assistant program, but make sure you know your topic and delivery more importantly back to front!

Good luck!

Yeah the main thing is to put yourself in their shoes and show you relate to them! Make the tasks have a clear point to them, so they can see the value in what they're doing. Also, be as inspiring as you possibly can! The main role of a teacher, in my point of view.
Clip of my newest project involving dancers, lighting, costume design, projection mapping, and sound
http://youtu.be/9AoNlWLaOHU
mdwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquirina
Sorry only tutored - bio/chemistry to peers the first two years of college, and basic computer crap to older adults at some career center.

All I learned: most things that elicit a chuckle from an older person just make younger people deadpan, and vice versa. Also, people in my own age group are more responsive and try harder if one day you're suddenly more condescending than usual (tone/word choice/pace). This gives them a secret inner-rage that is expressed in the form of new ideas and enthusiasm.

Overall all you have to do is

/halfasleep

I'm not even going to try to be funny. I am from a completely different environment than the students I will be teaching. There is only a small chance that our ideas of comedy overlap. I may be the funniest person on UG, but in real life not everyone gets the jokes.

My sister is a speech and language therapist (logopedist for you Dutch people) so I will ask her some questions on how to boost my presentation skills.

Rate This Thread: