Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #681
Spykerwolf

Thanks CodeMonk - already submitted a thread there as well.
Spykerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #682
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Anyone know of a VOX 2x12 UPRIGHT cab with Celestion Blues in? A friend of mine apparently got one for $30 USD. I am having a hard time communicating with him. But he apparently sold it for $275. Really curious about it. Looked on the VOX Showroom and did not see much.

EDIT: Oh goodness, bump from 2013!

Last edited by Will Lane : 11-29-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #683
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Lane
Anyone know of a VOX 2x12 UPRIGHT cab with Celestion Blues in? A friend of mine apparently got one for $30 USD. I am having a hard time communicating with him. But he apparently sold it for $275. Really curious about it.

EDIT: Oh goodness, bump from 2013!

$30 with Blues?!!?!?
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP

I don't have one, but I know you've probably seen my cab build that has a Gold in it.
Blues and Golds, the speakers alone are near $300.
I think I paid $285 for my Gold on Amazon.

Even at $275, your friend got burned.

Edit:
And its OK to bump threads that are dedicated to specific amp brands. (IMO, I'm not a mod).

Edit2:
I checked out a beat to hell 2x12 upright at a place called Jammin Jerseys in So Cal. a few years back.
Not sure what speakers they had in it but they wanted $700 for it.
It looked to be a late 60's model cab.

My friends call me Rob

Last edited by CodeMonk : 11-29-2015 at 06:47 PM.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #684
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
$30 with Blues?!!?!?
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP
HOLY CRAP

I don't have one, but I know you've probably seen my cab build that has a Gold in it.
Blues and Golds, the speakers alone are near $300.
I think I paid $285 for my Gold on Amazon.

Even at $275, your friend got burned.

Edit:
And its OK to bump threads that are dedicated to specific amp brands. (IMO, I'm not a mod).

My friend works in a music store and a guy came in with the cab asking to do a consignment. Think of that guy who sold over $500 worth of speakers plus a $200 cab PLUS mojo costing who knows how much, selling for $30.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #685
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:

My friend works in a music store and a guy came in with the cab asking to do a consignment. Think of that guy who sold over $500 worth of speakers plus a $200 cab PLUS mojo costing who knows how much, selling for $30.

Re-read my edited post.

My friends call me Rob
Old 11-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #686
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #687
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Just thought I'd share this since this thread seems to have come back from the dead.

I posted a NAD thread a few weeks ago but I figure this thread could use some pics. It's a 1964 AC30 top boost. I think I got a great deal, having paid less than what a brand new C2 costs, with a heavy duty packhorse road case thrown in at no extra cost (those cases themselves are pretty expensive!). It does need a few things checked over by a tech, too, as most 'road worn' vintage amps do. But despite the obvious cosmetic issues, the amp's electronics are mostly original, and it sounds stunning. the speakers are late '60s G12M "blackbacks".

I think I like the normal channel best. It's got the most transparent response and balanced frequency curve, and is the one that handles overdrive pedals best too. The brilliant/top boost channel brings out a bit too much "fizziness" in most pedals (but it's great for sparkling cleans, with and without mod/delay effects etc), and the vib-trem channel is the main thing that needs to be looked at by someone who knows what they are doing
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #688
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

^Wow, neat! This one, right? http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac30-6_twin.html

The EF86 was taken out at the time I think? I have only had experience with newer AC's so I really want to play a few older models for the kicks one day. Sweet find!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #689
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:

The EF86 was taken out at the time I think? I have only had experience with newer AC's so I really want to play a few older models for the kicks one day. Sweet find!

Yep, that's the one. That's what mine would've originally looked like

The original AC30/4 had an EF86, but that model was scrapped and replaced by the AC30/6 model quite early on due to the EF86 having microphonic feedback issues at higher volumes. the top boost circuit was then introduced as a factory modification for the AC30/6 in response to customers complaining that the AC30/6 wasn't as bright sounding as the AC30/4.
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #690
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:

They brought the EF86 back for at least this one :
http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac30h2l.html
I'm be afraid to gig with that one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
Just thought I'd share this since this thread seems to have come back from the dead.....

And Vox threads will never die, at least not while I still live and there is breath in my body.
And I remember your NAD of that amp. Made me drool.

I want to get another Valvetronix.
I miss the one I had (Had to sell it for moving money ).
And an AC15 and an AC4.

My friends call me Rob

Last edited by CodeMonk : 12-01-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #691
Blompcube
Registered User Error

I agree that this thread needs to stay alive.

I found some of my old posts from 2007 in here. Reading about how much I loved my AD50VT back then almost makes me regret that I traded it in to pay for an orange 4x12 about 2 years ago. But then I remind myself, I have an AC30 now, which is what I always wanted even then
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
Old 12-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #692
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Quote:

I found some of my old posts from 2007 in here. Reading about how much I loved my AD50VT back then almost makes me regret that I traded it in to pay for an orange 4x12 about 2 years ago. But then I remind myself, I have an AC30 now, which is what I always wanted even then
Speaking of that, I find it somewhat humorous that most of the VOX units on the first page are either a Wah or something VT. I still want something VT myself, though! Tempted to pick up the AD50VT at the moment, they are less than $200.

Last edited by Will Lane : 12-02-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #693
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Speaking of that, I find it somewhat humorous that most of the VOX units on the first page are either a Wah or something VT. I still want something VT myself, though! Tempted to pick up the AD50VT at the moment, they are less than $200.

The VTs are great modelers unless you need like 6505 levels of dirt.
I had an AD50VT.
Left it at a friends house (her BF played bass and we would jam, and since I also had and AD30VT, it was just easier to leave it there).
Then when I went to California to take care of my dad, she got in some financial shit, she pawned then AD50VT, then lost it.
But Karma got her back (Long story but will related if you wanna hear it)..

My friends call me Rob
Old 12-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #694
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

Sure, tell it!
Old 12-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #695
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Sure, tell it!

OK then.
We all lived in Nevada, she was in Reno.
First I knew but her pawning the amp.
And although I had been living in Stagecoach, I was in Southern California when we talked about her pawning it.
It took her awhile, but I relented.
I had known here for years, even lived in her basement for a while, and had been buying my weed from her for years. Hell, she would even give me credit on weed if I was short money.
Anyway, my one condition was that she DID NOT LOSE IT to the pawn shop.
She promised profusely that she would not lose it.
Shortly after she pawned it, she was evicted (Which was expected) and she moved to some coastal Northern California town.
About a month before the pawn ticket was due, she was in Reno (visiting for whatever reason), and I tried over and over again to call her.
I was willing to Western Union her the money to get the amp out of the pawn shop.
But she never answered her phone.

Now comes the Karma part.
Since she had moved to California, her car never would have passed smog certification and some counties in Nevada don't require smog certification.
So she had to pretty much lie to the insurance company and the DMV that she was a till living in Nevada.
I asked my mom, and she agreed, to let her use my moms place as her address (The county my mom lives in doesn't require smog certification).
When mail came for her, my mom would forward it to her in California, with the DMV and insurance company being none the wiser.

Well when she lost my amp to the pawn shop she said shit like "It wasn't my fault", "I'm not responsible for it", and other BS like that.

I was PISSED.
So I told my mom to stop forwarding her mail and do a "Not at this address, return to sender" with her mail.
Well, come auto and insurance registration time, the letters came to my mom's house and my mom sent the letter back to the DMV and insurance company.

And apparently my now EX-friend never even thought about the DMV, insurance and having to re-register her car.

Because she came back to Reno one day and got pulled over. Expired tags on her license plates.
NO current registration, no current insurance.
The police confiscated and impounded her car right then and there.
She called me, and boy, was she PISSED.
I reminded her of my lost amp, her promise, laughed at her over the phone and hung up.

My friends call me Rob

Last edited by CodeMonk : 12-02-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #696
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

^Goodness. That is why I never loan my friends that smoke pot my gear. Unrelated, I don't have any friends that smoke pot. XD Still though, that is rough.

About the cabinet I posted about the other day, here is his listing: https://reverb.com/item/1182863-vox...0-cabinet-black

NOT Celestion Alnico Blues, but bulldogs. I cannot find much information on the speakers, though.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #697
Tombe
Post-Rocker

Quote:

I still have my AD50VT as my main gigging amp! It's a good old dependable horse. Probably the second-oldest piece of gear I own after my Ibanez.

FUZZY FLATPICKER σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Tombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #698
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
^Goodness. That is why I never loan my friends that smoke pot my gear. Unrelated, I don't have any friends that smoke pot. XD Still though, that is rough.

About the cabinet I posted about the other day, here is his listing: https://reverb.com/item/1182863-vox...0-cabinet-black

NOT Celestion Alnico Blues, but bulldogs. I cannot find much information on the speakers, though.
The one I saw for $700 was more about the size of one of the Beetle type cabs, but it wasn't a beetle cab and the grill was torn to shit in several places.
Sill, I almost got it.
If the grill wasn't torn to shit, I would have bought it.
It was right after my dad died and I got a $10k insurance check and treated myself to a few grand worth of toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombe
I still have my AD50VT as my main gigging amp! It's a good old dependable horse. Probably the second-oldest piece of gear I own after my Ibanez.
Yeah, I really miss my AD30VT more than the AD50VT.
More for portability reasons than anything else.

My friends call me Rob
Old 12-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #699
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Today I noticed that the top boost EQ on my AC30 affects the normal channel in some subtle way, and that channel seems to really come to life with the treble and bass controls maxed out. Makes no sense, since the top boost stuff is meant to only work for the "brilliant" channel.

I find this interesting. Lots of old amps have unusual quirks like this. like how turning up the volume of channels other than the one you're using on a tweed fender can affect the response of the channel you actually are using. I guess it's the same type of thing here.
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
Old 12-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #700
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

If you have seen any of my posts about cathode followers, you will know I am a confused man concerning the topic. I thought I would post about it once more concerning VOX amps but rather than make a new thread or post in Quick Questions again, I'll post here to help any other VOX users.

Cathode followers are buffers(?) that drive the tone stack of an amplifier, and as such they have more of a workload than the other tubes. Often this position is V2. Some tubes, particularly from New Sensor, cannot handle the workload and will not last long in a cathode follower/V2 position. At least that is a rough idea. Those tubes are the Sovtek 12AX7LPS, EH, Tung Sol reissue, Mullard reissue, Genelax reissue, and New Sensor Svetlanas. Link And there are some unlisted there as well I think.

I have an AC30C2 that has had a TS 12AX7 RI in V2 for quite a while. So I emailed KORG to see if V2 was a cathode follower and they said yes, although they also stated their service records do not indicate any problems with certain brands in V2. So I have bought a JJ to swap it out but have not had the chance to quite yet. As I was playing the AC30 earlier tonight however, with the TS still in V2, I did notice that my clean tone was getting progressively more and more dirty as the playing time increased. I also feel it has been doing that and I am just now noticing.

It is my understanding that TS is not the worst for cathode followers, Mullard RI often are. So just a heads up. JJ tubes will work in a CF position. Also VOX amps have had cathode followers in V2 for quite a while so chances are your VOX has one too (if it has 3 preamp positions, anyway).

EDIT: After changing V2 from a TS to JJ, I noticed that the TS's internal wiring looked quite tarnished or burnt. It may have been like that new, but I doubt it. To double-check I looked at some other preamp tubes I had and their internals were all brown copper colored as they should be. Sound-wise I did not notice much a difference with the JJ except for when the amp had been on for a while. It kept clean much better than with the TS.

Last edited by Will Lane : 01-03-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Rate This Thread: