Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #17381
MapOfYourHead
Often sarcastic

I put jam on my bread sometimes
Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #17382
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Hey Will.

With vertical I meant the general way of music or approach rather.

In the classical era it was largely about things like counterpoint, and melodic and harmonic devices.

In Jazz it is largely about altering/extending the harmony, so the lead instrumentalist has more melodic options presented to him and playing around with motifs.

In pop music most hit songs share the same framework of certain chord progressions and strong melodic consonants and/or having a catchy melody.

To sum it up, all of the above is pretty much the "art" of controlling pitches harmonically and/or melodically. Hence I call that horizontal since those genre's are largely (not entirely) exploring different things, but with a big emphasis on the criteria of 'pitch'. For a lot of people this is the true and only definition of music, but I just see this as just one way to order sound in an accessible and/or interesting form for us humans.

I think you really do share an opinion not dissimilar to mine, since you often use your own umbrella term of 'dots on a paper', implying pitch as being "old fashioned", uninteresting or perhaps even superficial. Albeit maybe more elitist, but perhaps that's your way of sparking a discussion.

In a lot of (newer) electronic music, the pitch is still present, but a lot of people seem to value the music more for playing around with filtering and things like frequency modulation, and how a static melodic or rhythmic motif changes not in pitch over time, but changes in filtering, timbre or rhythm.

Off course you have the mainstream EDM, but I feel the pitch/melodies are just there to reach a connection with people who like catchy melodies, and use electronic musical devices to give an inflection of being modern, hip or even pseudo experimental.

I guess I am not in a position to tell you or anyone for that matter having for example a bassline wobble for the sake of wobble is not that edgy and/or innovative, but that's how I feel about it.

I always loved a lot of electronic music, but mostly because of the way the sound changes over time or the ability of someone to find a combination of sounds having "chemistry" with each other for the lack of a better word, and not pitch. For that kind off stuff I listen to jazz and classical music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 10-15-2014 at 11:20 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #17383
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Btw I do not have a jam track 20T, but I thought we could just take a leap and try to get something going with both schools of thought on music.

I would personally feel excited, since I'm not into this "choose sides" thing. I find that leading to nothing useful or exciting at all.

Maybe I am too naive in thinking people are here to find out more about anything related to music, but then why not delete this forum?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 10-15-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #17384
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx

I always loved a lot of electronic music, but mostly because of the way the sound changes over time or the ability of someone to find a combination of sounds having "chemistry" with each other for the lack of a better word, and not pitch. For that kind off stuff I listen to jazz and classical music.

i think the easiest way to describe what you're saying is an experimentation between timbres that has become limitless with the streamlining of the synthesizer and "DIY" production techniques
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #17385
willT08
Banned

this mixolydian thread is mind blowing
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #17386
deadsmileyface
in luv with an apparition

Upto

did somebody say

MODES???????
Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #17387
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #17388
Hail
kill both bass players

god i need a SNES for secrets of mana and chrono trigger. so good
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #17389
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
god i need a SNES for secrets of mana and chrono trigger. so good

I still have mine in the attic at my parents home.

Every year at Xmas I make sure my mom does not forget to not sell it or throw it away.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #17390
Bloodwolve

Something tells me it was about time I got a new pick.

Its a Dutch pick, it doesn't tip
Bloodwolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #17391
20Tigers

^I edited your post and changed the tags so the picture shows. Less people will see it if it's posted as a link and I thought it was a pretty decent use of a pick.

I think what surprises me most is how you kept the same pick long enough to wear it down quite that much!!!

Not so sure about the Dutch joke. You realize the guy right above you is a pretty decent guy and is from the Netherlands?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #17392
deadsmileyface
in luv with an apparition

20T is dutch and doesnt tip
Old 11-26-2014, 12:57 AM   #17393
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...

Dead is mad you banned his personality.

Who will he parrot now?

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix
Duaneclapdrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #17394
20Tigers

That sounds about right but his insult was just so clever. I bathed in aloe, and it still burns.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #17395
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaneclapdrix
Dead is mad you banned his personality.

Who will he parrot now?

this is actually pretty great
Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #17396
Bloodwolve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
^I edited your post and changed the tags so the picture shows. Less people will see it if it's posted as a link and I thought it was a pretty decent use of a pick.

I think what surprises me most is how you kept the same pick long enough to wear it down quite that much!!!

Not so sure about the Dutch joke. You realize the guy right above you is a pretty decent guy and is from the Netherlands?

I too am Dutch and making jokes about yourself is one of the more pleasant things in life :P (Als je niet eens om jezelf kan lachen)
Most of us Dutch folk know that other countries think of us like that and I dont know many who mind it at all, just found it rather fitting...
Wasnt meant as an insult, if anyone takes it in a wrong way, just let me know. I'll remove it without a problem and am sorry if I offended anyone because that wasnt my intention

Im kinda new here so didnt really know how to link it, thought this would be the least annoying way of showing an image

Last edited by Bloodwolve : 11-26-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Bloodwolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #17397
20Tigers

hey you can make fun of yourself. It's all good. I thought you were just picking on the Dutch randomly. No worries man - you're good.

Yeah I clicked the link and liked the picture so much I wondered why you were hiding it away.

Anotherthing you can do is wrap an image in spoiler tags. Then people can open it in the post and they won't be taken to away from the thread, but can view it right there - if they want to - by clicking on the little plus in the spoiler.

To do that you would use {spoiler}{img}insert internet address for image here{/img}{/spoiler}

Except instead of { you would use [ and instead of } you would use ].

I just had to change that because otherwise it would run the code and look like this:

show

Also you can change the text that appears in the spoiler window likeso {spoiler=TEXT}

e.g.
Who's Awesome??
Old Today, 03:11 AM   #17398
metal4all
Always tripping

Did the MT Jam happen? I want to hear another. If not now, then, in the future.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 AM   #17399
20Tigers

No it didn't.

Rate This Thread: